Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HON is only possible if you earn 600 000 miles on LH, its integrated partners (NOT *A partners) and Deustch Bahn within 2 years. That's a bit hard given you live somewhere LH or its integrated partner airlines (LO/LX/OS) doesn't even fly to. I'm not sure if codeshares are counted though.

You might find the Great Circle Mapper helpful in working out how many miles you'll earn.

BNE-SIN-FRA is approximately 10 206 base miles according to GCC, doing it in J with no status will gain you 10 206 x 2 = 20 412 award and status miles. Plus FRA-DUB, J intra europe, which gains 2500 miles. So total = 22912 award and status miles.

Tag on another 25% on LH/LO/OS/LX metal after FTL status.

The BNE-SIN bit might not count for HON though - especially if they only count operating carrier for HON miles.

I accept tips...
    Last edited by KeithMEL; 26 July 2007, 06:58 PM.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Still waiting for CGK's thought leadership on this one ...but I think preliminarily, I'm going to suggest she goes with LH's M&M.

Unless usage of mileage is easier on BD's program, I think LH won out with its two year status granting.
      HUGE AL

Comment

SQ Y earn 150% M&M but if upgrade to I will earn 0?

M&M can provide 150% miles for SQ "Y" subclass. But I plan to upgrade it to C and it will be booked by "I" subclass by SQ.

However, M&M seems not to give any miles for SQ "I" because it is an award booking. Will M&M consider my commercial booking is Y?

What should I do to upgrade from Y to I and earn 150% miles both?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by bearteacher View Post
          M&M can provide 150% miles for SQ "Y" subclass. But I plan to upgrade it to C and it will be booked by "I" subclass by SQ.

However, M&M seems not to give any miles for SQ "I" because it is an award booking. Will M&M consider my commercial booking is Y?

What should I do to upgrade from Y to I and earn 150% miles both?

Thanks!
          I have done this a couple of times...

Step 1: Book Y ticket on SQ and have your M&M number added for mileage accrual. Keep a saved copy/printout of the e-ticket in case you need to file a missing mileage claim later.

Step 2: Upgrade flights to I using KrisFlyer miles. You will get a new PNR number that you will use to check in. Ask KrisFlyer agent to add M&M number to new PNR as well otherwise OLCI will default to your KrisFlyer number.

Step 3: Check in as normal. Confirm that your boarding pass shows mileage credit to LH (eg. LH*G or LH*S) in the line below the KrisFlyer number.

Step 4: Retain your boarding passes. If the Y miles fail to credit to M&M after 3-4 days, they won't until you file a missing mileage claim with M&M and send in a copy of your boarding passes and original e-ticket. I've had to do this and the miles were credited about a week after I sent in the claim.

Comment

Which *A Frequent Flyer Program?

I'm about to start over traveling the world with my favorite alliance again and all my KrisFlyer miles from way back already expired. I'm a KrisFlyer member since 99 or so and I've been a YoungExplorer before (hehe) ... I've been KrisFlyer Elite Silver, Elite Gold and PPS before but I wanted to take a break from traveling and I'm starting all over again.

My question is: I still got an open KrisFlyer account and I had to open an Air Canada Aeroplan account (though I had the miles transferred to my KrisFlyer account). I'm planning on traveling heavily with SQ in the next few years and I'm planning to do a RTW with Star Alliance next year ... which Frequent Flyer Program on StarAlliance should I get, go get the max out of my miles?

I was considering Miles and More because my local airlines is Austrian, though I avoid flying them ... I was also considering continuing on KrisFlyer or even switch to something completely different. My main airline to fly would be SQ of course but as I browsed the forum, I kinda noticed that KrisFlyer is probably not the easiest and most economical program.

Could anybody help me out?

Cheers!
            Flo
            Home is where your heart is.

Comment

It really depends on your flying pattern.
              If you buy F or C (or R once A380 flies ), then I would recommend LH or BD program. (You will get up to 625% mileage if flying F).
              If flying Y, then I would stick with the airline you fly the most.

Comment

Depends on what you want out of the programs...

If you've already got elite qualifying miles in your AC account, you might want to stick to AC as it is only 35 000 miles to hit *G status with AC. The 'cheap' status might be wasted if you don't fly AC though as a lot of the benefits are very AC-specific.

Otherwise, I'd recommend BD, even if flying Y, as the earn:burn ratio is one of the best I've seen in *A. BD*G can be had at 57 000 elite qualifying miles, and requalified at 38 000 elite qualifying miles.
                Last edited by KeithMEL; 27 September 2007, 11:13 AM.
                All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

I'm mostly flying Y but my father just told me he will get me a pair of c tickets from ZRH to SIN to experience the difference to my really bad KLM flight. I'm so stoked already!

As I said, I will be flying SQ most of the time and I've never ever even been aboard BD. I think next trip will give me like 24.000-30.000 miles or so and I wanted to qualify for at least something I could have lounge access with next time when I do my round the world as I'll be flying a lot and definitely want to check out the lounges everywhere.

My flight pattern would be: much StarAlliance of which most is SQ. Flights outbound from VIE preferrably with LX if I fly from ZRH but usually OS. I'll be flying some United and US Air next year as well and get additional 15000'ish miles or so in the US.

My RTW I'm planning on would be like this:

VIE - FRA (OS) - JFK (SQ) - MIA (UA) - YYZ (AC) - SFO (AC) - LAX (UA) - NRT (SQ) - ICN (NH) - BKK (TG) - AKL (TG) - SYD (NZ) - SIN (SQ) - JNB (SQ) - DUB (SA) - ZRH (LX) - VIE (LX)

So would it be good to just make a BD account and collect SQ miles with it?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by florianwagner View Post
                    I'm mostly flying Y but my father just told me he will get me a pair of c tickets from ZRH to SIN to experience the difference to my really bad KLM flight. I'm so stoked already!

As I said, I will be flying SQ most of the time and I've never ever even been aboard BD. I think next trip will give me like 24.000-30.000 miles or so and I wanted to qualify for at least something I could have lounge access with next time when I do my round the world as I'll be flying a lot and definitely want to check out the lounges everywhere.

My flight pattern would be: much StarAlliance of which most is SQ. Flights outbound from VIE preferrably with LX if I fly from ZRH but usually OS. I'll be flying some United and US Air next year as well and get additional 15000'ish miles or so in the US.

My RTW I'm planning on would be like this:

VIE - FRA (OS) - JFK (SQ) - MIA (UA) - YYZ (AC) - SFO (AC) - LAX (UA) - NRT (SQ) - ICN (NH) - BKK (TG) - AKL (TG) - SYD (NZ) - SIN (SQ) - JNB (SQ) - DUB (SA) - ZRH (LX) - VIE (LX)

So would it be good to just make a BD account and collect SQ miles with it?

Thanks
                    The RTW above is 41243 mi........... The max is 39000........Below is great site to help with your pre-travel arrangements.

http://www.staralliance.com/en/travellers/index.html

Comment

And here's Air NZ's version of the RWSTAR fare rules:
                      http://www.airnz.co.nz/resources/star_rtw_1may07.pdf

Comment

ah **** it then i'll skip JNB. i heard i would be needing bodyguards there and i'm not into random people following me around but hey, I still got a year or a year and a half left to figure out my route. Keith, what route are you flying?

Anyway, I kinda want to get *G or at least *S before going RTW so I can hang out at lounges. Is BD okay though I'll probably never fly bmi in my whole life?

Comment

Flo, I take it that you're planning on doing your RTW in Y - with approximately 16 sectors and 39,000 miles ? Over what period of time ?

Edit: as you may know, *S will for some FFPs only get you access to certain lounges of that airline but for some (e.g. KF), you don't get any lounge access whatsoever as a *S.
                          Last edited by jhm; 28 September 2007, 02:26 AM.

Comment

yeah i don't really care if i'm *S or *G as long as i can chill out before the flight. i'll have to go for *G anyway as it seems ...

period of time ... hum ... like 1 to 1 1/2 months or so in my summer holidays. and i'll kinda try to opt for 39000 miles but i really want to visit the us, nz, aus, sin, tokyo so i somehow have to manage to find the best possibility for this.

so now, if i want to become *G as soon as possible ... what's the best program to go for (what program needs the smallest amount of miles to qualify and which one is actually the best when it comes to getting free flights or upgrading?) i kinda need a mix of both ...

i still haven't decided whether i'll be traveling in economy or business. it depends on how much money i've got.

Comment

yeah i don't really care if i'm *S or *G as long as i can chill out before the flight. i'll have to go for *G anyway as it seems ...

period of time ... hum ... like 1 to 1 1/2 months or so in my summer holidays. and i'll kinda try to opt for 39000 miles but i really want to visit the us, nz, aus, sin, tokyo so i somehow have to manage to find the best possibility for this.

so now, if i want to become *G as soon as possible ... what's the best program to go for (what program needs the smallest amount of miles to qualify and which one is actually the best when it comes to getting free flights or upgrading?) i kinda need a mix of both ...

i still haven't decided whether i'll be traveling in economy or business. it depends on how much money i've got.
                              Platinum Amex gives access to many different lounges on many different airlines........and there is always Priority pass .........

Comment

Keith, what route are you flying?
                                I'm doing the oneworld RTW which comes with different fare rules. Managed to ticket a circa 55 000 mile itinerary out of it. And that's lightweight compared to what other people come up with.

Comment

Working...
                                X