SQ and Virgin Domestic in Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ and Virgin Domestic in Australia

Thinking to support the Star Alliance network, and having Platinum Status booked Virgin from Sydney to Brisbane vv and guess what?? Virgin does not like SQ pax and puts them right at the end of the plane!! No matter what you try to do. Answer from lounge receptionist was " You should have paid extra and selected the front seats!! You also pay for everything - even for a can of "soda water"..
    I certainly won't worry about these "piddly" points and will never fly with Virgin again!! Be warned - fly with Qantas! domestic in Australia!!
    At least they'll give a can of natural sparkling mineral water!!

Would like to hear from others having similar problems!!

Originally posted by Cashsuds View Post
    Thinking to support the Star Alliance network, and having Platinum Status booked Virgin from Sydney to Brisbane vv and guess what?? Virgin does not like SQ pax and puts them right at the end of the plane!! No matter what you try to do. Answer from lounge receptionist was " You should have paid extra and selected the front seats!! You also pay for everything - even for a can of "soda water"..
    I certainly won't worry about these "piddly" points and will never fly with Virgin again!! Be warned - fly with Qantas! domestic in Australia!!
    At least they'll give a can of natural sparkling mineral water!!

Would like to hear from others having similar problems!!
    Essentially VA began as a LCC. Their transition to "full service" is fairly cosmetic. Cabin crew are not informed of anybody's status and the service you get matches the ticket you bought, but that's the same with SQ in Y in the most part. Nobody has ever rushed up to me and asked me what choice of main meal I'd like reserved for me because I'm KF Gold.

VA is not a member of Star Alliance. They have a partnership with SQ directly, therefore only SQ status has any value, not *A UA or LH, for example.

I actually prefer to sit at the rear and have had ground staff offer to move me to the front a number of times when they've seen my seat number. I always check-in online so I've usually always gotten the seat I want.

What SQ status gets you is extra luggage, early boarding and lounge access. The miles transfer but they are pretty meaningless for most SQ destinations and getting a redemption flight on VA with SQ miles isn't very good value from what I can ascertain.

I fly VA domestic for 3 things: lounge, luggage, priority boarding. I'm aware that for international guests with status expecting any kind of special experience, they wouldn't impress much. It's fairly similar to how unimpressive I find LH domestic in Germany.

Comment

1. If you want to sit at the front of the plane, you should select Economy X, which can guarantee you to sit on the first 3 rows of Economy.

2. Virgin Australia provides Natural Spring Water, Tea, Coffee or Juice for free on all domestic flights.

I fly VA domestic for 3 things: lounge, luggage, priority boarding. I'm aware that for international guests with status expecting any kind of special experience, they wouldn't impress much. It's fairly similar to how unimpressive I find LH domestic in Germany.
      I fly VA domestic for: Lounge access when flying internationally, priority check-in, priority luggage and extra baggage allowance when flying to/from Hong Kong. The style VA flies domestically is very similar to what you can experience in Europe, perhaps a little better than that even.

Comment

Working...
      X