X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An email to SQ with my concerns and their reply

Thought you'd like to see this and your thoughts:

Dear SIA,

My name is X and I am Krisflyer number Y and I have been Elite Gold since 2011.

I travel very frequently for work and have noticed in the last few years that Singapore Airs Krisflyer program is starting to lack severely in comparison to other frequent flyer programs and even other airlines in the Star Alliance program. Examples of these are:

Miles expiring (I don't have this on other frequent flyer programs I am with)

Not giving KFEG members priority boarding with business class passengers, which is the only airline to do this. Even with Star Alliance airlines I have never flown with I get more priority than with SQ.

Not allowing KFEG members to check in at business class when we can with all other Star Alliance airlines except the one we are a member of.

Having the system of saver, standard and full fare upgrades. SQ is the only airline I am aware of who has this system.

You can now only upgrade from economy to premium economy if there is premium economy on that plane where as all other airlines offer business.

No platinum tier: This is merely a suggestion, as other long haul airlines have it and it is something for a long haul airline that would be very welcome

As you can see from my mileage credit I have been very loyal to SQ over the last few years but my usage has decreased as I don't feel I am being valued in comparison with other airlines and my business has altered because of this. SQ has a fantastic product which is why I am happy to pay higher fares in some cases. However for the increasingly restrictive benefits offered to me when I pay a premium to fly SQ it is no wonder why I have gone to other airlines in the last year.

I look forward to your feedback.

And the reply:

Dear Mr X

Thank you for your email dated 18 July 2016 to Singapore Airlines.

We are most appreciative of the time you have taken to provide your feedback and would like to apologise for not being able to deliver a service that was up to your expectations.

We value your comments and we are continuously reviewing and working on improving our KrisFlyer Membership Services to meet the expectations of our most valued customers such as your kind self. This is especially important in helping us to track our service standards and identify areas for improvement.

Further to this, do allow us to explain that the difference between Saver and Standard on Singapore Airlines and SilkAir flights which redemption reservation is made available for our member to utilize their KrisFlyer miles:

Saver award - These awards are offered in Economy, Business and First Class in most aircraft types. Saver awards require fewer KrisFlyer miles, ticket enabling members to fly for free sooner. The ticket validity is 12 months. Members have one free stopover per round trip redemption only. As saver awards are very popular, availability may be limited and some restrictions may apply.

Standard award - These flight awards provide a greater selection of seats on all flights, ticket validity of 12 months, one free stopover for one-way redemption and two free stopovers per round-trip.

As on current, Singapore Airlines is currently promoting on One-Class upgrade policy from Economy to Premium Economy Class and Premium Economy to Business Class and we do keep reviewing on the feedback by our passenger in regards to this policy.

Although currently there is no plan to make further changes on the KrisFlyer membership and upgrade scheme, please allow us to assure you that all constructive feedback, such as yours, will be collated and considered properly.

Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

X, thank you once again for taking the time to share your views and feedback with us. We look forward to being of service to you again.

Originally posted by 17august View Post
    (I don't have this on other frequent flyer programs I am with)
    And what programs are those? Don't leave us guessing

Comment

Delta Skymiles

Comment

Majority of airlines have miles expiry after a couple of years which is the norm.
        Flickr, Reviews, SIN Credit Card Usage Reference Table

Comment

Well, I am quite happy with KrisFlyer.

Yes there are downsides and all that like you mentioned, but comparing with the other Programme (say CX, QF or EY, sorry we don't compare with DL or UA) I am still happy with KF on account of the following.

1. Saver rates are very good value. Cheaper than CX or QF and Esp comparing to EY, it's way way way below.

2. Availability is in relative abundance, and yes may require waitlisting all the time but more than 95% I get it cleared.

3. The J product is superior to any other airline. And F is very good also and very well valued for redemption in relation to J. F Saver availability is also very good.

4. They use zone-based redemptions, and there are some really sweet spots there. Used to be better but still now there are still a few.

If anything, my main complain is the taxes and surcharges to redemption booking. But I don't think I will migrate to any other Programme for now.

About check in and boarding priority privileges, I don't find it important. It's just a few minutes of slight inconvenience, slight wait behind business class. Besides, the Golds still have priority over the rest of the pax. More importantly an FF programme is how fast can earn the miles and how easy to redeem the miles and how cheap.

Comment

I do agree with SQueeze, I do see a lot value in SIA KF program especially now as more programs are being revenue based like UA and AA

Being PPS some readers may think I'm off the mark on this point but I think I can relate to the poster concern as I think where its coming from is that based on flying the highest goal is only KFEG. SIA does have higher programs in the name of PPS and Solitaire PPS but this is based on money spent on J fares and above. SIA does not have recognition to flyer who fly Y more often and perhaps maybe even spend more money in Y then a person who fly a few trips in J or F with $25k.

I actually had this argument with SIA half a year back when I was Elite Gold and a few $$$ short for my PPS. I mentioned to them that the scheme for PPS and Elite is too way off. Example a person can easily reach PPS just by simply flying 2 times to LHR in F (or maybe another short flight depending on ticket price) and SIA will super value them and give this person PPS, however a person who flies round the world 10 times in Y will only get KFEG and I reckon this person should be more rewarded than the first but in SIA eyes this does not prevail.

In my case six month back I asked SIA if were to book one more J flight I'd get my PPS what happens to my Elite Gold privileges since there was a balance of 10 months to the renewal. Would I get entitled to both the privileges of Elite Gold and PPS since their attainment are through separate qualifications one being PPS$ (J fare or above) while the latter being earned through Elite Miles. The answer was pretty much too bad to my Elite Gold status as my PPS status superseded. Well my answer to SQ was too bad to SIA as I stop flying J until my EG status and PPS$ was near the end of cycle for renewal to maximize my EG status privileges.

The thing here is that SIA does value its elite FF but only through the PPS program (which would have addressed most of the poster concern) but I would think the main concern here is how they derive / determine what a loyal customer is and they are using sad methodology of $$$ spent in Premium class rather than a long sitting / flying loyal passenger ...
            Last edited by alian; 20 July 2016, 12:06 AM.

Comment

Well one famous quote from an ex- CX CEO : it takes 1 J passenger to command the same yield as 20 Y fare passengers. True,the Super loyal Y pax can travel 20 Y trips a year but he is of a lower value than a F pax that makes 2 Trips a year or a J pax with 4 trips a year so I would have to agree with SQ on their priorities

Comment

perhaps if the Y is on saver but if you look at Y flexi rates ... they should be entitled to PPS$

its just sad that the super flyer after 50k elite miles is at the max, perhaps SQ could look into folks who do 150k or more give them more recognition.

I'm not saying they are completely wrong they can continue to reward the J pax but also add additional reward level to the Y passenger who reach a 20 fold yield rather than cutting of completely at 50k Elite gold only

Comment

If you fly EY on SIA, you are a nobody....period.

(Audio)

Comment

Perhaps I've become jaded or more resigned with age but any "benefits" I get these days I try to exhibit immense gratitude and have markedly reduced my expectations despite my "status" in whatever program it may be. Someone somewhere is always going to be unhappy about something so just let it go and roll with life I say. If my flight is relatively on time, with no severe turbulence and transports everyone safely to their destination with no dramas then I'm a happy flyer

Comment

Originally posted by alian View Post
                      perhaps if the Y is on saver but if you look at Y flexi rates ... they should be entitled to PPS$

its just sad that the super flyer after 50k elite miles is at the max, perhaps SQ could look into folks who do 150k or more give them more recognition.

I'm not saying they are completely wrong they can continue to reward the J pax but also add additional reward level to the Y passenger who reach a 20 fold yield rather than cutting of completely at 50k Elite gold only
                      that was the point i made in a thread here years ago when SQ's profits were soaring and some posters here thought I was out of my mind. With their yields consistently dropping the last few years, and with the ME3 scooping up their loads as well, they definitely need to rethink a few things.

With my lack of aviation economics qualified, I'd imagine that paying full flexi Y fares should entitle you to at least some PPS value. Maybe the difference of the flexi ticket and the saver fares or something to the extent. Someone travelling on full flexi Y tickets for example to Sydney 15 times a year is definitely a premium customer. If SQ can't see that, they're just going to lose more valuable customers to their competitors.

Comment

Working...
                      X