No announcement yet.

Your Opinions on ASUS laptops? [WARNING: other brands mentioned too ;)]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks all....am considering a Sony TZ series, pretty sexy.

At the same time, alsom considering the Asus EEE PC. Wondering if anyone has 'played' around with that. It's being priced comparatively cheap in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by SQFAN View Post

At the same time, alsom considering the Asus EEE PC. Wondering if anyone has 'played' around with that. It's being priced comparatively cheap in the UK.
      I played round a bit with it as one of my uni colleagues takes his notes with it. The OS itself is not that hot ... I'm not against linux or so but it just feels sluggish. It serves its purpose, though. It's really cool because its size is great and its damn cheap. I have to admit, i played with the thought of getting one myself as a sub-notebook; I withdrew that idead, though, because it's kinda fat.
      Home is where your heart is.

Comment

Originally posted by florianwagner View Post
        something i have to add: the macbook air is awesome as hell. a friend of mine bought it and it outclasses my macbook pro by far.
        No arguments there. It IS much better.

i have heard bad stuff about sony: a friend of mine (petz, who should be registering here any sec) has one and after your warranty is over, they overcharge you like hell for tiny repair works. not funny at all.
        Not a problem as Sony is my client and I also work with their VARS.

This is an excellent choice. If you do go that route, be sure to look into the possibility of getting the flash drive option instead of the standard hard drive. Your startup time will then be < 3 seconds.
        HUGE AL

Comment

My first portable PC was a Toshiba, back in '92, while in college (model T1850, if I remember correctly).

In the spring of '05 I got a SONY Vaio VGN-S4XP (13.3" notebook, 100Gb hdd) for 2,600 Euros incl. VAT. After what I would describe as very light use for less than two years, the hdd failed suddenly early spring '07.

I was told that just to check whether indeed it is the hdd that has failed, my service engineer would have to buy one first (cost 600 Euros, it's those small Toshiba hdd's) and try it out.

Incidentally, he told me there is a place in S'pore, called Central Market. He said that if I go there, there are people that appear from nowhere and can take your PC, bring it back in half an hour fixed for only 100 dollars. I have discussed this with a couple of my S'porean colleagues and may give it a try next time I fly thru S'pore.

As of spring '06 I have a very good Samsung Sens X60 (15.4"). It is an absolutely excellent piece of equipment. Lovely design, quiet operation, good TFT, copes excellent with high temperatures. Samsung has really surprised me with this one.

Last but not least, my company notebook PC is a Dell. I've had it since summer '07, it does the job, but I cannot say it is in par with the Samsung.

My next purchase will, however, be a desktop Mac Pro (whenever that time comes) most likely with two 30" cinema displays for photo processing.

"Great men can't be ruled." - From The Fountainhead by Amy Rand.

Comment

Originally posted by N_Architect View Post
            My next purchase will, however, be a desktop Mac Pro (whenever that time comes) most likely with two 30" cinema displays for photo processing.
            Because of work, I've been a hard core PC guy for soooooo long. But now that Mac is based on the Next OS, there's not much I can't do on either platform. And for the money, Mac Pro is the way to go. Congrats!
            HUGE AL

Comment

...At the same time, alsom considering the Asus EEE PC. Wondering if anyone has 'played' around with that. It's being priced comparatively cheap in the UK.
              There is a fairly lengthy thread on FlyerTalk's Travel Tech forum re the Asus EEE, which you may find helpful. If you'd like, I can also recommend someone to you who can provide some very good insight on the subject, including comparing it to the Vaio.

Comment

If I could get used to the different OS I think I could like MACs. They seem pretty good value.
                All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                  If I could get used to the different OS I think I could like MACs. They seem pretty good value.
                  Macs have a much easier and STABLE OS. Come over to the dark side.
                  HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                    Very tempting indeed. Especially as quite a few mates have been doing some hard sell.

Thing is my NEC still works fine though a little slow and gets a bit quirky at times (including aforementioned blue screen of death). I'd probably wait till it dies completely before thinking of a new notebook.
                    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

something i have to add: the macbook air is awesome as hell. a friend of mine bought it and it outclasses my macbook pro by far.
                      I'm writing this from my MacBook Air. I'm delighted with it and recommend it without reservation.

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                        Oh, who needs that anyways- a day without 2 or 3 bluescreens is booriiing
                        Capslock is cruise control for cool... not!

See you at W:O:A 2010- rain or shine!

Comment

Coming back to this thread... I've been using a Sony VAIO CR (got the blue version) for about a month now after hearing good things about it from friends and taipeiflyer's enthusiastic and v convincing spiels. Also tried out his laptop when we were traveling and found it pretty good.

So far so good...*knocks on wood*. It's slightly smaller than my previous one (a 17" screen NEC) as I decided that weight and the ease of carrying it around is more important than having a large screen. But sturdy, and the build quality is v good. Love the vivid graphics! The keyboard is great to type on and facilitates the efficient transcribing of notes in classes where lecturers talk at 435 miles/hour. And the design is simply so fetchin'; a great matching accessory in airline lounges or lecture theatres or cafes or W Living Rooms.

W0rd.
                          Last edited by KeithMEL; 26 August 2008, 12:03 AM.

Comment

I'm definately hopeless when it comes to technology but I have had an Asus in the past and it was junk.

Funny thing is that the after service (when the hard drive just died...again!!) was sensational. In melbourne i recall taking to a place in southbank and they replaced it in 10 minutes! No questions asked. Suspected it must be common problem.

I recently also spent many $$$ for PC's for my staff at the office - huge regret.
                            Again nothing but problems. The usual VISTA issues.

My GF has macs through her work and a month ago I thought stuff it - bought the Ma Pro 15" 250gb version. Also got iphone. Absolutely love it.

It just works and links and hooks and does what it needs to do in the hands of a complete techno idiot. Highly recommend.

Comment

Originally posted by up and away View Post
                              Oh, who needs that anyways- a day without 2 or 3 bluescreens is booriiing

nothing the good ol' three fingered salute can't fix

Comment

I'm a techie and I used to deal with Lappies quite often. I'm most impressed by 3 brands. NEC, Lenovo and Fujitsu.

I like Lenovo only by virtue of its former IBM Glory, and its newer non IBM (not X, nor T Series) isnt really fantastic. But its X and T are still reliable workhorses.

NEC. They are ugly, they arn't terribly fast. But they are oh so reliable.

Fujitsu. Expensive, Expensive, and Expensive. But I like them because they are a combination of Style and Substance.

If one's primary concern is lightness, look at Toshiba. They are pretty good, but they always have a problem with the hard disks. But the newer models with the Solid State Hard Disks are great!
                                Life's A Bitch,
                                Love It

If GOD created me for only 1 reason. That reason would be to the love of my wife. If there was any other reasons involved, that would be for the love of Singapore Airlines

Flown with me? - http://my.flightmemory.com/inix

Comment

Working...
                                X