The SQTalk Luggage Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jhm View Post
    OK so would something like the B&R Baseline 22" Carry-On Superlight Upright (link above) work, i.e. does it fit within the maximum dimensions ?

jjpb3 and HUGE AL - what do you guys have ?
    The 22" is just outside the size limit at LHR -- that's the one I use when I know I have to check luggage on short trips (e.g., work trips where my laptop bag is my single item, or a long weekend in SIN ).

I recommend getting the 20" Superlight if you don't want to check your luggage. I've seen it at Global Luggage on Regent Street (close to the Piccadilly Circus tube stop; don't go to the Piccadilly Street branch, because they don't carry it there).
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Thanks, jjpb3! I know where I'll be on Saturday afternoon now.

Comment

Do you need to fly 1,000 sectors with your luggage before you have Lifetime Perfect Protection (aka LPP) for it?

Comment

OK so would something like the B&R Baseline 22" Carry-On Superlight Upright (link above) work, i.e. does it fit within the maximum dimensions ?

jjpb3 and HUGE AL - what do you guys have ?
          jjpb3 knows LHR much better than I (I avoid it like the plague) so I guess a 22" won't make the cut. I was going to advise the 22" Expandable:

http://www.briggs-riley.com/travel/c...bleupright.asp

so you have the option (albeit a bit of a retarded one as this is the only design flaw I see in the B&R line) to pack in a bit more stuff. That said, there is a 20" Expandable:

http://www.briggs-riley.com/travel/c...bleupright.asp

Personally, I still have my old Samsonite 22" Expandable Carry-On (which they don't make as durable anymore) and prefer it due to the zipper expansion. My usual bag that goes with me almost everywhere is the B&R Baseline Deluxe Wheeled Garment Bag:

http://www.briggs-riley.com/travel/g...garmentbag.asp

this was the older Baseline model (but pretty much the same bag) prior to the last repair.

Originally posted by DeltaFlyingProf View Post
          Do you need to fly 1,000 sectors with your luggage before you have Lifetime Perfect Protection (aka LPP) for it?
          You are a funny funny man!
          HUGE AL

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations, HUGE AL - will check them out.

Comment

Is B&R better than Tumi?

Comment

Originally posted by andySYD View Post
                Is B&R better than Tumi?
                That's more of a personal preference. B&R is better constructed, but Tumi is much more stylish.

I can tell you this: many baggage handlers I've spoken to at various airports in the US have told me, "Tumi = let's see how far we can throw this thing." I've always thought it means "steal me...I've got nice stuff inside..."
                HUGE AL

Comment

Well put, HUGE AL.

If I had to check in my B&R, I'd feel annoyed but otherwise reassured. If I had to check in my Tumi, I'd feel nervous. That's due to a combination of the factors cited before:

1. The unconditional B&R guarantee
                  2. The sturdier feel of the B&R
                  3. Tumi's all-too-successful effort to brand itself as the luggage of the Rich and the Beautiful, leading to attitudes such as that mentioned by HUGE AL

(I have both models, because there are times when I like to pretend I'm about to hang out with that last group. The non-working travellators at LHR can be my imaginary catwalk. )

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                    the luggage of the Rich and the Beautiful
                    Definitely not me!

I'm looking forward to a spot of shopping tomorrow...

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                      there are times when I like to pretend I'm about to hang out with that last group.
                      Ahhh man, you're leaving us "commoners???"

I'm looking forward to a spot of shopping tomorrow...
                      jhm, please let us know what you ended up with and/or if you have any further questions we can help you with.
                      HUGE AL

Comment

What makes either Tumi or B&R so much better than other reasonably good luggage out there? Is it really worth $600 for a largeish bag?

If you use Tumi or B&R for cabin-baggage only, what brand do you buy for checked baggage? Why that one?

Looking for serious--and preferably detailed--opinions and experiences. My Eddie Bauer bags have stood up quite well for more about 10 years of fairly heavy travel. I don't need new luggage yet, but I'm starting to think about it. And I'm thinking $600 is a bit too steap.

I also subscribe to the theory that nice checked baggage means: STEAL ME! NICE STUFF INSIDE!

Comment

Here's my take, MtL. YMMV, OK?

For checked luggage, one of my standbys is a B&R. Really, it's a very unassuming suitcase, and the lifetime no-questions-asked guarantee just means I can really amortize the higher cost (having said that, I don't think the premium is excessive -- whereas it would be if I had to check a Tumi in) because I know I won't have to throw in the towel if the baggage handlers are too rough with it.

I have the expandable 24". There are times when I wish I bought the 26" version (particularly coming back from the Philippines [Christmas], Singapore [shopping] or New York [shopping]), but I end up feeling glad I didn't. When expanded and carrying a full load, I have a hard enough time lifting the suitcase. If I had the 26", I'd probably really be uncontrolled and then pop a hernia trying to get the darn thing into a cab or back into the living room of my flat.

My other checked suitcase is a Rimowa Salsa (I know, CGK: very German ). There just hasn't been any luggage that offers as good a combination of being lightweight and sturdy. Rimowas are a bit more noticeable because of the material (a sturdy plastic that is shaped to look like the aluminum original), so that might trigger your discomfort with handlers picking on it. I've never had it picked on.

I like the fact that there are no outside pockets, so I only one set of zippers to lock (they now come with built-in TSA-compliant locks). (The lack of bells and whistles is a liability in one sense: the B&R, like Tumis, allow you to hang another piece of luggage onto the suitcase, so you have only one consolidated piece to pull. For the Rimowa, you'll have to have carryon luggage that can ride on the telescoping handle, or else you'll just have to carry that bag on your shoulder.) The material is tough yet pliable, so that I'm pretty sure it can withstand a lot of punishment. I read the test results conducted by the TÜV Rhineland (http://www.rimowa.com/newsdl.php?f=news/36), and it was impressive how solid and waterproof the suitcase turned out to be. A very comforting thought for someone based in LHR, favored European airport for baggage snafus.

For checked luggage, these have been the ones that have been my durable choice. I've hated having to replace checked luggage within two years of purchase, because I think that's the minimum they should last. (Note: I replace checked luggage if the outer material shows significant tearing or cracking.) After my experiments with other, often cheaper brands, these are it for checked luggage for me. (I can't bring myself to experiment with a Tumi, because I'd be too anxious about checking such expensive luggage.)

Carryon luggage: well, unfortunately, I have variable enough moods that I just reconcile myself with my desire to get a new piece after a couple of years. For wheeled luggage, what I look for is compliance with European size standards; intelligent design (you should be able to take out and stow things such as BPs, your passport, reading material easily without having to unzip the entire thing open); a minimum level of aesthetic appeal (very subjective -- but if I'm going to be staring at the luggage most of the time at the airport, I don't want to see it and not be pleased by the purchase); and quality (in case I'm forced to check it).

Tumi (high on intelligent design and aesthetic appeal), Goldpfeil, B&R (penalized most on the aesthetic dimension), Victorinox, and Quindici (penalized by my uncertainty if it can withstand being checked in) have scored high in my testing. (Long list, I know, but hey, there are more options in the carryon luggage category, thanks to the higher consideration for looks and user-friendly [specifically, accommodating to my travel quirks ] design features.) These brands tend to be above-average in price, but that's what tends to happen with consumer goods where a subjective judgment (in this case, design and aesthetics) is relatively more important in the choice of what to buy.

Are Tumi and B&R worth the premium? IMHO, for specific items yes, but that's just because of the way I value the characteristics offered by luggage. A number of my friends would never pay for that premium, because they have a more functional view of luggage than I.

Again, please take these views with a grain of salt, as they're based on my rather idiosyncratic tastes.

P.S. MtL, 10 years is a pretty good track record. I haven't tried the larger Eddie Bauer luggage pieces (loved their small and medium duffles when I lived in NYC), but it seems they're good for second chance as well. Sorry if that muddies the water for you.
                          Last edited by jjpb3; 21 September 2007, 05:58 AM. Reason: additional thoughts

Comment

hi all,

I remember reading in another thread on how Tumi is cheapest in USA amongst all countries.

My sis is flying to SFO this weekend and I want to ask her to get me a checked luggage (28"). Can anyone tell me if there's a sale there now?

Tks

Comment

Thanks for your further comments, jjpb3.

The Rimowa website has a (long) "making of the advert" video showing the punishment which one of their cases took - e.g. being thrown down steps outside, over walls etc - and it seems to demonstrate better than any words or lab tests how tough their luggage is.

Thinking about it this weekend, I'm coming down to the conclusion that I'll probably stick with the Samsonsite carry-on I bought last year:

http://www.ebags.co.uk/samsonite/xio...?modelid=72741

but will probably pick up some check-in luggage. My Delsey suitcase is starting to show signs of wear after 20+ years (with admittedly only heavier use in the last year or so).

As such, can I ask what factors make you take along the Rimowa on a trip as opposed to the B&R ? Is it just the factor of being able to hang another bag off the B&R ?

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by MegatopLover View Post
                                What makes either Tumi or B&R so much better than other reasonably good luggage out there? Is it really worth $600 for a largeish bag?

If you use Tumi or B&R for cabin-baggage only, what brand do you buy for checked baggage? Why that one?

Looking for serious--and preferably detailed--opinions and experiences. My Eddie Bauer bags have stood up quite well for more about 10 years of fairly heavy travel. I don't need new luggage yet, but I'm starting to think about it. And I'm thinking $600 is a bit too steap.

I also subscribe to the theory that nice checked baggage means: STEAL ME! NICE STUFF INSIDE!
                                MegatopLover, since jjpb3 did such an eloquent job of answering your questions, I'll simply say that domestically in the US, I use the B&R Garment Bag I referenced above and my Port Original Apple laptop bag (which is showing some wear -- does anyone know where I can get a good laptop bag that fits the 11" Sony TZ laptop?). Internationally, I use the same garment bag but use the Victorinox Triax TX Duffel, which they don't make anymore, but it fits perfectly onto the garment's handle.

I'll probably stick with the Samsonsite carry-on I bought last year
                                jhm, that's one...hmmm...interesting looking bag...
                                HUGE AL

Comment

Working...
                                X