No announcement yet.

Confirmed : SIN-MAN-IAH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today was the first day of near simultaneous SQ51 and SQ52 at MAN. I haven't heard anything, but the aircraft got away pretty much in time so I hope that's a good sign.

Apparently bookings in the MAN-SIN sector are strong. MAN-IAH is less strong but supposedly within what they need to make the route work. Fingers crossed it performs well enough to be considered to go daily when the A350 is introduced.

Comment

Originally posted by Dobbo View Post
      Today was the first day of near simultaneous SQ51 and SQ52 at MAN. I haven't heard anything, but the aircraft got away pretty much in time so I hope that's a good sign.

Apparently bookings in the MAN-SIN sector are strong. MAN-IAH is less strong but supposedly within what they need to make the route work. Fingers crossed it performs well enough to be considered to go daily when the A350 is introduced.
      I thought the purpose of the A350 was mainly to fly US routes nonstop if possible. Maybe it will go from 77W to 77WR depending on load in F of course. Glad to hear it has gone well so far.

Comment

Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
        I thought the purpose of the A350 was mainly to fly US routes nonstop if possible.
        The original A350 was not intended to operate to the US non-stop. It's the new A350-900ULR that's meant for that, which will only arrive in 2018. SQ's A350 is doing SFO non-stop now, but just barely, and quite possibly in response to United's SFO-SIN service.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbojet Lover View Post
          ...and quite possibly in response to United's SFO-SIN service.
          I would use the word "definitely"!

Comment

I beleive the purpose of the A350 was to support "long and thin" routes, of which "secondary" european routes were one of the key targets.

I suppose it is possible for the route to stay B77W, but that would require exceptional performance. I think the most likely outcome would be a switch to daily A350 which would be a modest seat increase over 5x weekly B77W.

Who knows - apparently MAN-SIN is a major market for EK and TK so grabbing that market share back would be a good first step.

Comment

I flew back in to MAN on yesterdays SQ51 from IAH, with the same crew who took the inaugural flight over.

For those who fly from IAH and have access there is now a new Amex Centurion Lounge near the D gates. It's tucked behind the duty free shop and is unfortunately windowless down below but the food and drink options are better than the UA RCC in E that is the official lounge for the flight.

Handling two SQ 777's are nothing new, ICN must have had that at some point when SQ16/15 existed, mostly in the Summer when the flight coming from SFO meets the flight heading to SFO. Other examples that come to mind are NRT, probably in 2011 and back before it was a 747. SQ52 operates Sun, Tue, Wed, Fri, Sat, so it will definitely be Wednesday and the entire weekend MAN is going to do this. When that goes daily (hopefully) then it will be everyday of course (assuming no delays out of IAH or SIN).
              Have a read of the reply by SQ228, he understood exactly what I meant..

IAH-MAN will be a difficult sell at the moment partially duet to the tanking GBP, although it is great for Americans visiting the UK of course. The recent plunge in O&G business is unfortunate for the route. They are doing the right things though with the codeshare and feed from Flybe at the MAN end. While I was chatting with Sheldon Hee the UK GM at the gate on Sunday he was asked to go and do an interview with the Aberdeen Press and Journal so they are going after the right markets. Shame UA are playing silly buggars about onward codeshares...

I thought the purpose of the A350 was mainly to fly US routes nonstop if possible. Maybe it will go from 77W to 77WR depending on load in F of course. Glad to hear it has gone well so far.
              It wont be going to any other version of 777 as the route will be getting the A350 from early next year.
              Last edited by MAN Flyer; 4 November 2016, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Hmm... I wonder if they can promote the SIN - IAH and MAN - IAH route by bringing up the point that there are a lot of shuttle flights between IAH and MCO (the gateway to Walt Disney World).

Comment

Originally posted by orionmiz View Post
                  Hmm... I wonder if they can promote the SIN - IAH and MAN - IAH route by bringing up the point that there are a lot of shuttle flights between IAH and MCO (the gateway to Walt Disney World).
                  Unlikely, because SQ already codeshares with Virgin Atlantic on MAN-MCO. IAH-MCO would also be a detour...

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                    ...the route will be getting the A350 from early next year.
                    As evidenced by the lack of F bookability after January 1st.
                    HUGE AL

Comment

Unlikely, because SQ already codeshares with Virgin Atlantic on MAN-MCO. IAH-MCO would also be a detour...
                      Ya, but anyway I find that SIN - IAH flights can be rather cheap. It does make economical sense to fly from SIN to IAH, and book another shuttle flight from IAH to MCO, if that slight "detour" isn't much of a concern.

Comment

I've never checked if SQ codeshare (or intend to) on VS flights from MAN-ATL/JFK/BOS and the Caribbean...

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                          I flew back in to MAN on yesterdays SQ51 from IAH, with the same crew who took the inaugural flight over.

For those who fly from IAH and have access there is now a new Amex Centurion Lounge near the D gates. It's tucked behind the duty free shop and is unfortunately windowless down below but the food and drink options are better than the UA RCC in E that is the official lounge for the flight.

That IAH Amex Centurion lounge is pretty awesome, despite being windowless. Good food and drink and a decent shower too. The bartenders make pretty good cocktails. I didn't even bother going to whatever contract lounge SQ has there.

Comment

As announced by a few folks, it is scheduled to go A350 from sometime next year.

Comment

It will be interesting to see whetheher any further changes are made to this service.

SQ have slots at MAN for a daily service, and I am reliably informed that they have never applied for slots at MAN they have subsequently not used.

However, moving the route to an A350 is a reduction in capacity and may indicate lower than expected loads/yield if that loss of capacity is not made up by increased frequency. Within this is the expectation that MAN-SIN has picked up but MAN-IAH is still fairly light (I assume SIN-IAH remains fairly flat).

It would be operationally inefficient for MAN-SIN to be daily with MAN-IAH to be at 5x weekly.

Still some settling down to happen here.

Comment

It will be interesting to see whetheher any further changes are made to this service.

SQ have slots at MAN for a daily service, and I am reliably informed that they have never applied for slots at MAN they have subsequently not used.

However, moving the route to an A350 is a reduction in capacity and may indicate lower than expected loads/yield if that loss of capacity is not made up by increased frequency. Within this is the expectation that MAN-SIN has picked up but MAN-IAH is still fairly light (I assume SIN-IAH remains fairly flat).

It would be operationally inefficient for MAN-SIN to be daily with MAN-IAH to be at 5x weekly.

Still some settling down to happen here.
                                The worst they can do is apply for a second daily flight that departs SIN in the morning, arrives MAN in the evening, and have the flight return back to SIN next day afternoon/evening.

Comment

Working...
                                X