Degradation of Hilton Quality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Degradation of Hilton Quality

Not sure if anyone else thinks so, or has realised, but I find most Hill ton's to be quite appalling now. I think this might be limited mainly to the US, though. Recently stayed at the Hilton Union Square in San Francisco, and it was quite dated, small and unimpressive. After staying at the Westin in Seattle a few days later, we changed our second hotel stay in San Francisco to the Westin, because they offered a much, much better product at a lower price! Anyone else feel the same about Hilton?
    Fly well,
    Travel safe,
    And have a pleasant journey.

Agree. Especially in the US. Hardly impressive. Mostly basic.

Comment

Haven't had many experiences at Hilton but the property in CMB (now closed for renovation) was shockingly bad. I've heard the Hilton Residence is better though I'll stick to the Cinnamon Grand.
      The world's too large a place not to go wandering.

Comment

And this is the exception that proves the rule...

Corner room at the Hilton Auckland...

Comment

Indeed. For the best bang on the dollar, I think Hilton generally speaking has the best properties/service in the Asia Pacific and some European countries. YMMV.

Comment

Hmm... I used to think so but things changed significantly approx 2.5 years ago. On cash+points, however, an absolute steal at most places. Not to mention on points alone, at some WA properties, I've had tremendous stays. Haven't used points much for non-WA properties.

I did use points at the Double DRW Esplanade recently, however, and we landed the King Millner duplex suite. Super balcony terrace, very happy!

Nothing beats IC with the right status/rates, however. Consistently found them cheaper, but they aren't to be found everywhere - e.g. in places like DRW

Comment

Originally posted by SQ747 View Post
              Not sure if anyone else thinks so, or has realised, but I find most Hill ton's to be quite appalling now. I think this might be limited mainly to the US, though. Recently stayed at the Hilton Union Square in San Francisco, and it was quite dated, small and unimpressive. After staying at the Westin in Seattle a few days later, we changed our second hotel stay in San Francisco to the Westin, because they offered a much, much better product at a lower price! Anyone else feel the same about Hilton?
              None of the major hotel chains have particularly great properties in the US when compared to elsewhere, especially the APAC region. I agree the Hilton in San Francisco is not great but I didn't think the Westin was much better. Next time try the W or St Regis in San Francisco, they are both nice properties.

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
              Indeed. For the best bang on the dollar, I think Hilton generally speaking has the best properties/service in the Asia Pacific and some European countries. YMMV.
              Really ?. What countries in the Asia Pacific do you think Hilton offers the best properties and/or service ?. Of all the ones I visit regularly : Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam, Indonesia and Australia they are nowhere near the best.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                Really ?. What countries in the Asia Pacific do you think Hilton offers the best properties and/or service ?. Of all the ones I visit regularly : Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam, Indonesia and Australia they are nowhere near the best.
                MAN Flyer, I'm only comparing with Hiltons in the main business cities in the US. I like the Hiltons in Osaka, Hanoi, KL Sentral & Singapore. In Europe, Sorrento, Toledo and Rome are very nice properties. Of course the number of places I visit is nowhere compared to your extensive list.

Perhaps you can share with us which Hiltons are the best in your opinion. I've some points to burn before I lose my status with them. Am heading to their Queenstown/Frankton hotel next month.

Comment

I like the Hiltons in Osaka, Hanoi, KL Sentral & Singapore.
                  I hope you meant the Conrad in Singapore...

Honestly can't see anything worth liking about the Hilton here...

Comment

I've some points to burn before I lose my status with them. Am heading to their Queenstown/Frankton hotel next month.
                    Hilton Melbourne South Wharf: New, large rooms, nice modern decor. Stunning suites with great views of the river. A little far from the city centre (10-15 min walk), but great F&B options, and a factory outlet, close by. (Not to be confused with another Hilton in Melbourne, the Hilton on the Park, which I did not like so much when I stayed there a long while back.)

Hilton Sydney: Great location. Nice lounge. Small rooms but nice modern decor. Junior suites are comfortable.

Hilton Auckland: My favourite hotel in Auckland!

Hilton London Euston: The executive rooms are very comfortable (modern, renovated) but the regular rooms are very average. Convenient location.

Hilton London Hyde Park: Old hotel with small rooms and doesn't even have a gym. But pleasant location next to Hyde Park, tube, and great roast duck at the Chinese restaurant(s) nearby!

Conrad Maldives: Best place to burn points

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo
                      I hope you meant the Conrad in Singapore...

Honestly can't see anything worth liking about the Hilton here...
                      Apologies. Conrad it is! The last time I was in the Orchard hotel, was like a couple of decades ago!

Originally posted by yflyer
                      Hilton Melbourne South Wharf: New, large rooms, nice modern decor. Stunning suites with great views of the river. A little far from the city centre (10-15 min walk), but great F&B options, and a factory outlet, close by. (Not to be confused with another Hilton in Melbourne, the Hilton on the Park, which I did not like so much when I stayed there a long while back.)

Hilton Sydney: Great location. Nice lounge. Small rooms but nice modern decor. Junior suites are comfortable.

Hilton Auckland: My favourite hotel in Auckland!

Hilton London Euston: The executive rooms are very comfortable (modern, renovated) but the regular rooms are very average. Convenient location.

Hilton London Hyde Park: Old hotel with small rooms and doesn't even have a gym. But pleasant location next to Hyde Park, tube, and great roast duck at the Chinese restaurant(s) nearby!

Conrad Maldives: Best place to burn points
                      Thanks, yflyer! I almost stayed at the Hyde Park hotel on my last trip but changed to Tower Bridge instead because I wanted to take some pics of the bridge. The Tower Bridge hotel is relatively new. Has a really nice lounge which has an open air deck that looks straight up at the Shard. Unfortunately it is a bit too far from the Thames otherwise the view of the river would've been super. Many nice restaurants around there and the Borough market as well. For a person who likes to run, it's great too, as there's a nice long track all along the river and across the London and Tower Bridges. You might want to try it the next time. Service is friendly especially in the lounge but downstairs reception is just okay. My biggest problem was actually their delivery or rather their station that accepts delivery. I had two boxes of Nespresso capsules (another story) for delivery and they tried delivery for 3 straight days but Nespresso tells me that no one wants to accept it. The concierge on the other hand says nothing was delivered. Not sure who to believe.

Comment

The last time I was in the Orchard hotel, was like a couple of decades ago!
                        Don't worry - nothing's changed!

Comment

MAN Flyer, I'm only comparing with Hiltons in the main business cities in the US. I like the Hiltons in Osaka, Hanoi, KL Sentral & Singapore. In Europe, Sorrento, Toledo and Rome are very nice properties. Of course the number of places I visit is nowhere compared to your extensive list.

Perhaps you can share with us which Hiltons are the best in your opinion. I've some points to burn before I lose my status with them. Am heading to their Queenstown/Frankton hotel next month.
                          I like the Hilton Queenstown. Even though it's a haul into town, the location is very pleasant and the service is unusually good for NZ. Hope you enjoy it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wan1dap View Post
                            I like the Hilton Queenstown. Even though it's a haul into town, the location is very pleasant and the service is unusually good for NZ. Hope you enjoy it.
                            Thanks, Wan1dap! Is the restaurant any good?

I have a rental car. Is it worthwhile driving to town (parking?) or should I just take their boat?

Comment

Thanks, Wan1dap! Is the restaurant any good?

I have a rental car. Is it worthwhile driving to town (parking?) or should I just take their boat?
                              I've only eaten breakfast in the restaurant, which was perfectly fine. Can't comment on dinner. Definitely drive into town. The boat has a limited schedule. Parking is readily available in town; if not on the street, there's a central underground car park.

Comment

Working...
                              X