Grand Hyatt San Francisco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grand Hyatt San Francisco

Last week, I stayed at the Grand Hyatt in San Francisco. This hotel occupies a prime location close to Union Square, and has been around for a while.

A top-to-bottom renovation has recently been completed, with all guest rooms renovated in 2011 and public area renovations completed at the end of 2012, and the results are impressive.

The rooms and public areas are beautiful, but what really impressed me about the revamped hotel is the original thinking that has gone into some aspects of the hotel, both in terms of layout and how services are delivered.

I’ve not seen these concepts implemented elsewhere. If this is a pilot or test case for Grand Hyatt properties elsewhere, then I hope some of these ideas are rolled out in other properties as well.

The first difference hits you as soon as you enter. The reception is not your traditional counter, or even a desk, but a sleek three-spoke table where staff can interact with guests at check-in in a far more casual and intimate manner. I loved the way this “broke the barrier” between guest and staff.

The amount of space in the lobby/seating area of the Grand Hyatt is quite limited, but they have managed to do it up in a way that is modern yet warm.

Comment

The restaurant that used to be on the top floor has now been moved to the 2nd floor (i.e. one up from Ground level), accessible by stairs (and one of the elevators.)

There is a restaurant that serves breakfast/lunch/dinner…

As well as a bar/lounge…

Here is a view of the restaurant at breakfast time.

Comment

The bedrooms are beautifully done up. Perhaps not as strikingly modernist as some of the other Grand Hyatt or Park Hyatt properties but stylish and comfortable.

The work area was large and well lit, and there was the obligatory large LCD flatscreen TV with HD channels.

Some other design elements which added to the ambience….

Comment

Bathrooms were well-appointed. The room I had did not have a separate shower stall, though.

Comment

There was a mini-fridge in the room and coffee/tea making facilities, but there were no minibar items stocked.

Also, I searched the room for a hotel services guide, but none was to be found.

A quick call to reception clarified things: The hotel services guide, and the room service menu, were all online, accessed via the LCD TV.

That’s radical! I had to admit they had me out of my comfort zone for a minute. Perhaps they should have had a flyer or cardboard sign stating that the guide was online.

This remote was your key to accessing the hotel’s facilities…

In fact, this went as far as online ordering of room service items…

Now this would be great for young, tech-savvy guests, but I am not sure what some of their more tech-challenged guests would think of this. Hopefully they have hardcopy menus available on request.

Comment

The top floor has been converted to meeting rooms, and most rooms have very good views of the waterfront and city.

Here is a picture of Union Square taken from one of the top floor meeting rooms.

To sum up, I think the Grand Hyatt SF has always had a great location, and the revamp has catapulted it close to the top of my list of hotel choices for a business or leisure stay in San Francisco.

Comment

Just to add my 2 cents, I stayed here in October last year

The checkin is indeed quite personable. Andaz-like is how I'd describe it

The rooms are great. I had some trouble with the TV but otherwise no complaints

The major improvement compared to previous stays is how fast the lifts came when called

It cost $70 million to renovate. Apparently a record amount though I'm not in the hotel industry so I can't verify that

Comment

Thanks for the lovely photos yflyer!

I stayed at this hotel at the start of last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. I prefer the rooms at this property to the FS and RC.
                  The world's too large a place not to go wandering.

Comment

Another helpful and detailed review, yflyer! Many thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by viraj735 View Post
                      Thanks for the lovely photos yflyer!

I stayed at this hotel at the start of last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. I prefer the rooms at this property to the FS and RC.
                      Thanks, viraj735!

Yes, the rooms at the GH SF are quite impressive!

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
                        Another helpful and detailed review, yflyer! Many thanks!
                        Thanks, CarbonMan!

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                          Just to add my 2 cents, I stayed here in October last year

The checkin is indeed quite personable. Andaz-like is how I'd describe it

The rooms are great. I had some trouble with the TV but otherwise no complaints

The major improvement compared to previous stays is how fast the lifts came when called

It cost $70 million to renovate. Apparently a record amount though I'm not in the hotel industry so I can't verify that
                          Thanks, 9V-SIA! I stayed at the GH SF previously before the rooms were renovated. Back then, pre-renovation, the rooms were average and showing their age (I stayed there mainly for the location).

The renovation has been quite comprehensive, and no trace of the old hotel remains...which is the way hotel refurbishments should be done.

Comment

Champagne at check-in!

Checked into the Grand Hyatt San Francisco again earlier this week.

I noticed that there is now a red "carpet" denoting the check-in queue that wasn't there before. I guess before the sign was in place, the open-plan lobby with the winged counter tops must have created some confusion when there were multiple guests waiting to check in.

There was a pleasant surprise in store though. As I waited for check-in, one of the lobby staff approached and offered me a glass of champagne. What a nice touch!

First time I have experienced this anywhere (Some other hotels offer juice at check-in, but that's not quite the same, is it...). When I asked the front desk staff if there was always champagne at check-in, he said that sometimes it's there, other times it's not.

I thought it was a nice touch. And this was available to anyone (I'm not a premium member of Hyatt Gold Passport this year). And if there was a queue at check in, any frustation would melt away if I had a glass of bubbly in hand, sipping it while waiting to check in...

Comment

That's not Champagne.
                              HUGE AL

Comment

Working...
                              X