Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

downgrade to Y, still receive pps credit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• downgrade to Y, still receive pps credit?

hi everyone, writing this from TPE SKL. due to a really unforseen incident, i had to change a J booking originally scheduled for the 16th. i did not contact SQ prior, but just showed up at the airport. i explained my situation to SQ staff and asked if there was any J availability for tonight's flight, as i need to return to LA right away. they said that J was fully booked but they could fly me in Y, and i would stand-by for J in case of a no show. they issued me my Y ticket, and told me to go to the ticketing counter to fill out the paperwork for a refund. i explained that i did not want a refund because the fare difference between full Y and J is only a couple hundred dollars and i would also lose pps credit. the check-in lady said that as long as my ticket was economy, i would not receive pps value, even if i did not do the refund. i told her i believe this is incorrect information because i had already booked a full J fare, and i am not initiating a refund, so i should get J credit, both with respects to frequent flyer mileage and pps value. am i correct in my assessment? any info is really appreciated. after the past several days, i could really use some good news.

Originally posted by taipeiflyer View Post
    .....i had already booked a full J fare, and i am not initiating a refund, so i should get J credit, both with respects to frequent flyer mileage and pps value.......
    Hi taipeiflyer, I hope you can get on the flight in C and the problem will be moot.

I don't know how PPS Values are processed. Back in the days of PPS Sectors, which seems like a long time ago , it was based on your booking class. You need to be booked in CJD in order to receive PPS Sectors. For invol downgrades, SQ keeps the booking class in CJD and simply manually assign a seat in Y cabin so that PPS Sectors can be recorded.

You need to speak to a supervisor/manager to get this done. But your case is tricky as you didn't have a confirmation in CJD classes. Again, this was back in the PPS Sectors days and I have no idea how PPS Values are processed. I think there is a good chance for you to get a C seat at the gate anyway.
    Last edited by TerryK; 11 April 2008, 09:56 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

I have no direct experience of anything like this but if you do travel in Y I think it's unlikely you'll get the the PPSV under the new system.

You could always drop them a line and ask, explaining what the circumstances are. They were very good to me last year when I had to cancel a RTW ticket at very short notice for personal reasons. I'll always be grateful to them for that.

Hope all works out well....

Comment

thank you for the info terryk. the ticket still says etkt, and the FF number entered in corresponds to the one i had entered in at the time of making the booking. i did not provide the check-in agent with my FF number when i checked in, so i think it should correspond to my original booking. it would be "fair," if they processed it the way i think they should. after all, if the opposite were to happen, and i got upgraded without paying a fare difference, i would not receive F mileage. i hope the same holds true with respects to downgrades and no fare difference being refunded.

Comment

thanks MAN flyer for the tip!

Comment

I too have no direct experience with this, but this needs to be differentiated from an involuntary downgrade situation.

I think one has a solid case to earn full credit if it's an involuntary downgrade.

In your situation, you are choosing to fly in Y due to non-availability of J, and therein lies the problem. Y fares just don't earn PPSV or class-of-service bonuses...

Good luck anyway.
            Last edited by milehighj; 11 April 2008, 09:58 PM. Reason: edited for clarity...

Comment

Working...
            X