Singapore Airlines B777-9 Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
    You do realize its only a mere 10cm wider. That's not a lot.
    I mean, 1-1 would make sense if they were starting with 2017 Suites copy-pasted from the A380.

Though I'm not sure how well that would work out, especially since the bean counters appear to be asking for denser cabins given how dense newer planes are compared to old ones. They could find a way to charge a premium, maybe?

I'd wonder whether something like Lufthansa's old 744 upper deck F with separate bed and chair would work in 1-1-1 on the 777X. Also EK and CX are already doing 1-1-1 in F on the 777.
    an infrastructure geek

Comment

Current 77W have only 4 F seats and for the 779 if SQ go with 1-1-1 it would be reduced to 3 F seats altho SQ may go 6 seats but in view of the current demand, it will more likely be either 3 or 4 seats in F on the 779.

Comment

Wonder whether SQ will cancel the order for 777-9? Some forum mention that CX is pulling out from their 777X order.

Comment

i read that on simply miles.
          It’s hard to say, for Cathay, operating aircraft way into 20yrs has never been a problem (some of their 777s & 330s are as old as 1998).
          Also, their Long haul fleet likely has much less cycles given the ultra-Long routes they do.
          Cathay has more than 21 of its existing 77Ws delivered 2013 onwards..extending their use until 2033 shouldn’t be a problem..and it covers for the loss of the 21x 777-9s. (And meanwhile they can always order more A350s for fleet renewal...Cathay seems to have found a sweet spot with them).

However for SQ, things are very different...
          SWA-T were delivered 2006-2009...so they have 19 aircraft which even if used until 20yrs old...will last them only till 2026-2029.
          The 777-9s (together with part of the A350LH orders) were intended as a replacement for the A380s/77Ws....and 33 of these aircraft will turn 20 by 2029.

Unless we’re talking of declining demand post-Covid19 warranting a downsize in future fleet capacity (I highly doubt so).

They will definitely need the 777-9s, even if they get delivered late by Boeing simply cos they have no alternatives.

Comment

Yes definitely agreed. SQ needs the 779s to replace its older 77Ws and A380s.

Comment

I've always thought of the 777X as a white elephant for Boeing - with constant delays and production problems, and more so now with EK and LH reducing orders and the potential cancellation from CX. Even before the current situation, the X had limited appeal, with most airlines not requiring such a large aircraft. After all, Boeing essentially developed it for EK.

It seems that the A350-1000 is the best large aircraft right now with proven reliability. The A35K provides a 1-for-1 replacement for the 77W and allows for more flexibility in the fleet (interoperability with the A359). I believe that SQ still holds options for the A350 family - perhaps we could see the -1000 in SQ colours? At the same time, maybe more 787-9/10s where the capacity/range isn't needed?

A fleet of only 787s and A350s could work out quite well for SQ going forward.

Comment

With the early demise of the A380, the 779 will be a good twin engine replacement and airlines will soon follow in the direction once after the current covid19 is completely over and airlines returned to flying althought it will take another 2 years before flights resume to levels before the covid19. The 779 is marginally larger than the A350-1000 and can carry more cargo in its belly - something now that airlines will be looking at in view of the current use of commercial planes for carrying belly cargo without passengers during this current epidemic.

Comment

In the 26 Mar SQ press release....

Temasek International CEO, Dilhan Pillay Sandrasegara, said: “The impact of Covid-19 on the global travel industry is unprecedented, especially for airlines and the related sector players. SIA has been seeing strong growth before the hit from the pandemic. It has also committed to fleet renewal as part of its transformation journey. This transaction will not only tide SIA over a short term financial liquidity challenge, but will position it for growth beyond the pandemic.
                  https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/u.../ne0720-200326

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                    With the early demise of the A380, the 779 will be a good twin engine replacement and airlines will soon follow in the direction once after the current covid19 is completely over and airlines returned to flying althought it will take another 2 years before flights resume to levels before the covid19. The 779 is marginally larger than the A350-1000 and can carry more cargo in its belly - something now that airlines will be looking at in view of the current use of commercial planes for carrying belly cargo without passengers during this current epidemic.
                    Pardon my ignorance if I'm incorrect, but isn't the 779 supposed to be a 77W replacement for SQ? I doubt the A380s will be retired so soon, especially since the older ones are being refitted.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaywell View Post
                      Pardon my ignorance if I'm incorrect, but isn't the 779 supposed to be a 77W replacement for SQ? I doubt the A380s will be retired so soon, especially since the older ones are being refitted.
                      There are two “schools of thought” on the matter and debate has been bubbling away in the forum for quite a while now. Some see the 779 order as a pure like for like replacement of the 77W fleet. Others see the 779 replacing some of the A380 fleet and some of the 77W, similar to how the A350LH replaced partly the 772ER fleet and partly the 77Ws on certain long haul routes.

Two important factors now of increasing relevance: the A380 refit is now progressing at a glacial pace; A380s are being re-evaluated in light of current events by every airline who operates them. I’m not sure I’d be betting money on seeing SKF being refitted, but that’s just my armchair view.

Comment

• In the current economic climate, where we are expecting flights to only return back to normal in 2022. It will be financially irresponsible for SQ to go ahead with the retrofit of the A380s.

They should downsize the fleet and look to phase them out. It is not surprising that every other airline that owns the A380, has decided to do so.

Comment

• Originally posted by nocturne View Post
                          In the current economic climate, where we are expecting flights to only return back to normal in 2022. It will be financially irresponsible for SQ to go ahead with the retrofit of the A380s.

They should downsize the fleet and look to phase them out. It is not surprising that every other airline that owns the A380, has decided to do so.
                          The armchair CEO in me thinks SQ could retire a few older A380s and park part of the remaining A380 fleet, to be reactivated later on once growth returns. I don't think it's financially irresponsible to continue with the refits, especially at the current glacial pace and on fewer aircraft instead of the entire fleet of A380s it currently has. SQ has also sought access to funding that "will not only tide SIA over a short term financial liquidity challenge, but will position it for growth beyond the pandemic."

In a few years, SQ will be well-positioned for growth while retaining product leadership.

Comment

• Not entirely sure if SQ has any leased A380s, but I would assume in the current climate, any leased ones would probably go. But on the other hand, it also makes sense for the airline to keep and use owned ones as much as possible, because there is literally no second hand market for them.

I am surely going to miss flying on the A380s and 77Ws once they're gone. IMO, both these types are the roomiest, best laid out planes in the fleet. Not really looking forward spending 7+ hour flights in Y on a 10-across 779.

Comment

• My two cents. I think they could refit the remaining V2 birds and with the V3 birds should give them a fleet of 12 or 14 planes, or they could downsize the fleet further to about 10.

Comment

• Boeing is delaying the B777X programme between a few months to a year:

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-bo...-idUKKCN24P2JI

Not sure if this will have any adverse impact on SQ's deliveries which have already been pushed back to 2022.
                                Singapore Airlines - A great way to fly...

Comment

Working...
                                X