SQ to launch SIN-JFK flights Nov9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ to launch SIN-JFK flights Nov9

Yes, 'The World's Longest Flight' is back as of Nov 9, but with a few differences;
    * flying to JFK instead of EWR
    * operating with a standard three-class A350-900 instead of the two-class A350-900ULR

A bit more at https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...ts-to-new-york

I have a first class award ticket on SQ 25/26 booked for late January. I am not yet comfortable flying, plus the 2 week quarantine in Singapore would make my trip impossible. I know the airline has only extended the free cancellation period through Dec. 31. Presuming they extend it to January, Id still be able to cancel my flight and get the miles back for free even if they resume flying to JFK, right? I figure that the extension to January should be coming soon given that they have extended the free cancellation period towards the end of each month.

Comment

This might be the only time in SIA's history you get to fly economy class non-stop SIN-NYC-SIN, assuming of course that economy class is open for booking on SQ24/23. Given the premium traffic they are targeting (if any), I wouldn't be surprised if only business / premium economy would be available for booking.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SML View Post
        This might be the only time in SIA's history you get to fly economy class non-stop SIN-NYC-SIN, assuming of course that economy class is open for booking on SQ24/23. Given the premium traffic they are targeting (if any), I wouldn't be surprised if only business / premium economy would be available for booking.
        I looked up a few dates to fly JFK-SIN return and I was not able to select Economy, so it may not even be available for booking.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbojet Lover View Post
          I looked up a few dates to fly JFK-SIN return and I was not able to select Economy, so it may not even be available for booking.
          SQ said it would be using the A350ULR which has no economy but Business and Premium econ only. Also SIA said it will help in carrying cargo - but believed the A350ULR does not carry cargo in its belly.

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
            SQ said it would be using the A350ULR which has no economy but Business and Premium econ only. Also SIA said it will help in carrying cargo - but believed the A350ULR does not carry cargo in its belly.
            Actually, SQ DID NOT state that they would be using the A350ULR on the SIN-JFK route resumption from Nov. Refer to the following:

https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/u.../ne1720-201020

And to quote the linked news release, it stated "The Airline will operate the Airbus A350-900 long-range aircraft on the route. This aircraft is configured with 42 Business Class, 24 Premium Economy Class and 187 Economy Class seats." This by virtue would mean that it will be operating the "standard" A350-900 Long Haul configured (as opposed to Ultra Long Range) planes.

The article didn't specifically mention as to whether economy class can be purchased, but the fact it mentions the plane's config includes economy one would think that economy class tickets would/should be able to be purchased for the flight...

Comment

https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/s.../ne1720-201020

According to SQ, it is just the normal A350 no?

"The Airline will operate the Airbus A350-900 long-range aircraft on the route. This aircraft is configured with 42 Business Class, 24 Premium Economy Class and 187 Economy Class seats."

Comment

Originally posted by wlgspotter View Post
                Actually, SQ DID NOT state that they would be using the A350ULR on the SIN-JFK route resumption from Nov. Refer to the following:

https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/u.../ne1720-201020

And to quote the linked news release, it stated "The Airline will operate the Airbus A350-900 long-range aircraft on the route. This aircraft is configured with 42 Business Class, 24 Premium Economy Class and 187 Economy Class seats." This by virtue would mean that it will be operating the standard A350 Long Haul configured (as opposed to Ultra Long Range) planes.

The article didn't specifically mention as to whether economy class can be purchased, but the face it mentions the plane's config includes economy one would think that economy class ticket would/should be on sale...
                I am kinda intrigued that the A359LH is able to perform the flight all the way to the east coast. Always thought that a non stop to the west coast all already it's max performance capability.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ380 View Post
                  I am kinda intrigued that the A359LH is able to perform the flight all the way to the east coast. Always thought that a non stop to the west coast all already it's max performance capability.
                  It sure is intriguing indeed, however, given the current Covid situation, there is a belief that the SQ is probably not expected very high load - read it somewhere (sorry I can't recall source) that SQ is expecting less than 50 pax on the flight. With a light pax load expected, plus perhaps "some" cargo, the plane could perhaps make the journey. However, it will definitely be interesting to see the block time for JFK-SIN return especially in northern winter where the flight time could well exceed 18+ hours...

Comment

Not sure whether the standard A350 can actually do SIN-JFK and back Non-stop even with low passenger volume and plus cargo. Interesting to watch.

Comment

Not sure whether the standard A350 can actually do SIN-JFK and back Non-stop even with low passenger volume and plus cargo. Interesting to watch.
                      So you mean SIA is taking a risk by deploying the standard A350? Obviously they have done all the calculation before deciding on using the standard A350.

They should be using the newer A350 (SMU-SMZ n SJA). The newer A350 have a range of 15000km with 325 paxes plus cargoes. So with maximum 50 paxes, it will make the range to JFK as 270 lesser paxes will mean around 27000kg lesser weight carry. (Assuming each pax is around 100kg including luggage)

With lesser weight, the fuel burn will be lesser as well.

Comment

"So you mean SIA is taking a risk by deploying the standard A350? Obviously they have done all the calculation before deciding on using the standard A350."

Nobody jump or assume this except your own interpretation, as just mention its interesting only.

Comment

I suspect there will be days when a tech stop will be needed on the JFK-SIN leg.
                          In any case, useful to note that the SQ/SR 772s could fly 16hrs empty enroute to Victorville for storage. A reduced load can indeed extend range by quite a bit.
                          I only wonder how commercially viable the route will be...it’s pretty expensive to operate... to have a significantly reduced load, fares will need to be priced high (I don’t think they can charge a premium for cargo on that route?)

Comment

Originally posted by ell3 View Post
                            I suspect there will be days when a tech stop will be needed on the JFK-SIN leg.
                            In any case, useful to note that the SQ/SR 772s could fly 16hrs empty enroute to Victorville for storage. A reduced load can indeed extend range by quite a bit.
                            I only wonder how commercially viable the route will be...it’s pretty expensive to operate... to have a significantly reduced load, fares will need to be priced high (I don’t think they can charge a premium for cargo on that route?)
                            Cargoes rate might around US$10/kg? My customer did some air freight recently to LA and the rate is around US$8.00/kg. If there are 30 tonnes that mean around Us$300000 in cargo revenues per direction. How much cargo can A350 carry?

Comment

It's clear from your response that you're doubting SQ's technical capabilities in modeling the ability of the non-ULR A350, doubting the aircraft type to fly the route that SQ has planned, and expressing interest in whether your hypothesis will be proven right or not. That's different from expressing interest in the fact that the non-ULR A350 can perform the mission according to SQ's calculations.

Comment

Working...
                              X