Dress code TPR barefoot wanderer in dining room

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dress code TPR barefoot wanderer in dining room

Was in TPR last week and proceeded to the dining room for a snack when seated next to me was a hairy lout barefooted sipping on some wine. He also was unhygienic and stank!!
    I asked the supervisor why was he ever admitted to the TPR dressed as such and to my horror I was told that SQ has no dress rules!!
    Hooray! I had always wanted to be quirky and so long as I afford the fare I can dress as I like.
    See what QF does
    http://m.smh.com.au/lifestyle/celebr...05-gk1jbq.html

Am I being harsh or should there be a line in the sand???
    Yes
    43.75%
    No
    18.75%
    Only in First
    0.00%
    For all lounges
    37.50%

The poll is expired.

you could gently remind him that the TPR has rather nice showers he could enjoy at his convenience

Comment

Originally posted by Cashsuds View Post
      Was in TPR last week and proceeded to the dining room for a snack when seated next to me was a hairy lout barefooted sipping on some wine. He also was unhygienic and stank!!
      I asked the supervisor why was he ever admitted to the TPR dressed as such and to my horror I was told that SQ has no dress rules!!
      Hooray! I had always wanted to be quirky and so long as I afford the fare I can dress as I like.
      See what QF does
      http://m.smh.com.au/lifestyle/celebr...05-gk1jbq.html

Am I being harsh or should there be a line in the sand???
      I actually think that having a dress code is quite a bit of a snob. Someone pays good money to fly premium. They get access to a lounge. Nothing more, nothing less. Even if they are wearing slippers / shorts or otherwise. As long its nothing offensive, who are we to judge?

Not wearing any shoes &/ stinking does not speak very well of the individual as being not respectful, but I do not think that one have to be a snob to fly comfortably in premium.
      Life's A Bitch,
      Love It

If GOD created me for only 1 reason. That reason would be to the love of my wife. If there was any other reasons involved, that would be for the love of Singapore Airlines

Flown with me? - http://my.flightmemory.com/inix

Comment

Originally posted by inix View Post
        I actually think that having a dress code is quite a bit of a snob.
        +1

How about a Starbucks approach - no footwear/no shirt means no service.
        The world's too large a place not to go wandering.

Comment

I think having a dress code is good. But, by that, i mean a certain minimum standard - which is not necessarily the polar opposite of "wear anything/nothing you like"

Offensive - No
          Smells like you just got out of the city dumpster - No
          Buck naked/half naked - No
          No footwear - No

Anything else should be fine.

Imposing a dresscode doesn't mean tuxedos, coats, tails and ballgowns.

Comment

It's a privilege to fly, but under the circumstances, I would like to extend the discussion to dress codes on the plane, as this bloke obviously flew in from a flight from somewhere. If he flew first class, good on him, at least he'll have neighbours at least some distance away; however, the space in the "tube" is rather limited, and if you paid a similar "fare" to be comfortable, what tolerance should one accept? I have no problems with dressing to the occasion - appropriately!!
            A "snob" is defined in the dictionary as "a ​person who ​respects and ​likes only ​people who are of a high ​social ​class, and/or a ​person who has ​extremely high ​standards who is not ​satisfied by the things that ​ordinary ​people like:"
            This has got nothing to do with it!! Unlike what "inix" alludes to. Or have we missed the point and not being "civil" or "social" to your fellow beings?

Comment

I agree with SQflyergirl and Cashsuds that some limits should be set.

I find it quite inconsiderate for anyone to board a plane (regardless of cabin class) smelly and unclean.

It is also a form of respect to the property to at least wear some footwear to an airport lounge...at least in my opinion. So I make it a point not to be too sloppy myself.

Nothing to do with being snobbish...just being considerate and respectful.

Comment

In Australia, all must wear footwear to enter the airport and board planes and go into lounges. Footwear is a must. If you don't have a shirt on in the airport, it's likely you'll be arrested for public nuisance offence (if you don't leave when required to do so by police). Never been to airport where someone is not wearing a shirt or footwear.

Comment

My worst experience was on a SAS flight to CPH from SIN. At the BKK stopover, a seriously drunk came onboard and sat next to me in J, mumbling all sorts of expletives as he got into his seat, and sounding as if he just visited some whorehouse just before taking the flight.

He stank of alcohol and heavens-know-what but the killer moment was when he took off his shoes. I went into immediate involuntary retroperistalsis. Thank goodness I didn't eat much on the SIN-BKK leg. Despite this event happening more than a decade ago, it is indelibly etched into my memory.

The point I'm making is that he was "properly" dressed, but how does one put in a rule for BO - retching test? And the enforcement of it will also be tricky especially on a person with reduced mental faculties.

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
                    The point I'm making is that he was "properly" dressed, but how does one put in a rule for BO - retching test?
                    i'm proactive - I carry a mask. It has saved me more than once before from mr. Stinkypants.

Funnily enough though, the REAL reason i carry a mask with me when flying is NOT ebola/sars/MERS/sickness/smell.. it's cause i sleep with my mouth gaping wide open, and it's TERRIBLY inelegant.......

Comment

Imagine if this bloke flew First from Europe and then connects on the same flight as you to KUL or BKK on Economy.

Comment

I wish that Airlines in particular SQ pays attention to this. They are the only ones that can enforce and do either a "sniff" test or "eye" check to allow or disallow embarkation. After all wasn't it Singapore who disallowed chewing gum?? And enforcing toilet flushing? It's their national carrier?? So why not??

Comment

Working...
                        X