Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changi Terminal 1 Viewing Mall Progress

Going up the escalator nearer the skytrain to T2

Checking on the progress of the VM, it looks pretty promising. Was able to catch a glimpse of the apron

The view through one of the dining areas under construction.

The left-side entrance, where there is a pathway that is closed that leads up to the glass.

It seems like they "removed the floor" of the second story.
    I remembered that the viewing gallery was much much closer to the windows and bigger

Comment

The old viewing mall spanned the length of the central apron but now it has got chopped up and there will only be a small section left. Just like what happened to T2. The rest is gone to make way for the high ceiling you see in the photos. For those who wish to take photos, a friend who works at the airport told me the glass is not tinted. Thanks sealalula for sharing btw.

Comment

I was there yesterday and was extremely disappointed that there's pretty much no viewing gallery left (Its like T3 where your way too far from the apron to take any decent pictures). What a spotter unfriendly airport

Comment

Originally posted by ek&sq View Post
          I was there yesterday and was extremely disappointed that there's pretty much no viewing gallery left (Its like T3 where your way too far from the apron to take any decent pictures). What a spotter unfriendly airport
          I couldn't agree more. The best times were in the 1990s to early 2000s when the viewing galleries of both T1 and T2 offered clear and unobstructed views of the apron and runways.

Comment

deleted
            Last edited by trekkie; 23 September 2010, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Thanks SQKevin and Trekkie for bringing back the memories i had of both the "old" viewing galleries at T1 and T2 I really wonder why they're "trying so hard" to make it a spotter unfriendly airport

Comment

Originally posted by trekkie View Post
                I distinctly remember that term 1 was preferred to terminal 2 due to lighting conditions at night. When i was young, my parents would take me to swensen's at T1 for ice cream and i used to enjoy watching the planes.
                Same here

Miss those times .....

Comment

I miss the times when visiting Changi Airport was primarily to see planes land and take off. These days its to go there to shop and eat. If you have time left over, you go up to the viewing gallery. Sadly, its the view that you get from the viewing galleries that makes it so unworthwhile to go up to plane spot. How ironic. How many of you feel this way?

Comment

Originally posted by SQKevin View Post
                    I miss the times when visiting Changi Airport was primarily to see planes land and take off. These days its to go there to shop and eat. If you have time left over, you go up to the viewing gallery. Sadly, its the view that you get from the viewing galleries that makes it so unworthwhile to go up to plane spot. How ironic. How many of you feel this way?
                    For me, Changi is primarily a place for experiencing flight landings, takeoffs, and a smooth world-class transit experience.

I do sympathize with the loss that local aviation enthusiasts face.
                    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Me!

Comment

Make that three!

I miss the really long viewing gallery with the Swensen's at the end. It was the restaurant for countless family gatherings when I was a kid. Getting to see the Mega Tops along the way was another reason I used to love going to the airport.

Comment

Hey guys ! It seems that we would have some outdoor balcony style spotting. Yes , It's not a joke.

Comment

hope we really get a balcony!
                            now if only it could be one without a roof

Comment

Originally posted by soarbeyond View Post
                              hope we really get a balcony!
                              now if only it could be one without a roof
                              I really like the observation deck on the roof of CHC where the only barrier between you and the aircraft is a stomach-high grille, and at Wellington you can walk up right to the gate even if you aren't flying (think the transit shopping area at Changi becoming public and you get the idea). Unfortunately in SIN where security is so tight one can only dream...

Comment

Working...
                              X