Finnair back to Changi from next May

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post

Changi's people have actively been trying to get LX back to SIN. The 343 just sits on the ground at BKK all day now. I believe LX management have enjoyed the saving on crew costs due to shorter layover in BKK now the SIN leg has been dropped.
    They could be following United's example in HKG. Instead of sending it out to not incur parking fees, keep it at BKK and incur the fees while sending other pax on codeshare flights with other carriers, as it could very well be cheaper than sending the A343 out.

I don't think LX saved on crew costs. Instead, they would have incurred heavier crew costs if they sent them to SIN. The additional charges for the hotel, transfer, allowances, etc.?

Comment

Ok enough of LX, back to topic.
      Sorry for straying guys... My apologies!

Comment

Originally posted by Fryderyk HPH View Post
        I don't think LX saved on crew costs. Instead, they would have incurred heavier crew costs if they sent them to SIN. The additional charges for the hotel, transfer, allowances, etc.?

Of course they are saving on crew costs, they now need less crews in Bangkok to do the SIN turnound leg!!. The crews now have only 24 hours in Bangkok, instead of 3 days like before. If you can't see how that has saved them money on crew costs get yourself a new calculator.
        Last edited by MAN Flyer; 26 April 2011, 07:06 PM.

Comment

I'd rather they not.

BKK - SIN v.v. would only be a money loser for them. Tag-ons like this with the A340 would be so uneconomical due to the expenses for crew and competition from the legacy and low cost carriers on the route.

I'd rather they stick to what they do best. Flying half-filled or selling cheap seats won't aid their profit margin...
          It's sad, but you're probably right on this one. I'd still love to see them back in SIN though. And they were by far the best on SIN-BKK... I was very sad to see them go.

Comment

I honestly doubt even a fully-fueled A333IGW can make ZRH - SIN nonstop, unless it takes significant weight restrictions that might make the route not profitable. It takes almost 12 hrs for this flight! The only aircraft SWISS has that can do SIN viably is the A343, and even then, it is a fuel-hog compared to most newer modern day airframes.
            It wouldn't be operated by the A330's. Those would simply replace shorter A340 routes and free them up for longer routes like SIN, similar to what SQ is doing by replacing reconfigured 773's on 77W routes like SYD.

As for the BKK tag, I think that's what prevented the route from being successful in the first place. Nonstop is the way most people think these days, especially corporates who value each second saved.

I think if and when they return, it will be similar to AY's reentry, a nonstop, not a tag on from BKK.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post

Of course they are saving on crew costs, they now need less crews in Bangkok to do the SIN turnound leg!!. The crews now have only 24 hours in Bangkok, instead of 3 days like before. If you can't see how that has saved them money on crew costs get yourself a new calculator.
              Erm. I'm not familiar with SWISS' pass ops into SIN, but does crew do their BKK — SIN — BKK in one shot, or do they layover in SIN. If they layover in SIN, SWISS has to pay for the hotel here anyways, and I'm pretty sure it'd be more expensive than in BKK.

Comment

Fryderyk HPH,

Mate, go through MAN Flyer's post a little more slowly...

"Less crews in Bangkok to do the SIN turnaround leg" - the term 'turnaround leg' infers that crews operate(d) ZRH-BKK overnighted in BKK then did the SIN turnaround. Overnighted in BKK and then operated the return BKK-ZRH leg the following day or night...

Does that help?

Comment

The inangural flight will begin tomorrow !

Comment

The day has arrived!

Comment

Originally posted by sealalula View Post
                      The day has arrived!
                      will you go to changi to take picture?
                      visit my blog

Comment

I cannot find "Helsinki" at the Origin drop down on Changi website.

AY81 is listed from HEL!!
                        visit my blog

Comment

It was a A343 parked at D42. Was wondering wat airline it was when it taxied past NC2.

Comment

Originally posted by boing View Post
                            It was a A343 parked at D42. Was wondering wat airline it was when it taxied past NC2.
                            Were you at the viewing mall as well ?

Comment

Inangural flight of Finnair to Singapore (AY81) pictured taxiing on NC2 towards gate D42.

Comment

Originally posted by sealalula View Post

Inangural flight of Finnair to Singapore (AY81) pictured taxiing on NC2 towards gate D42.
                                I think the old FinnAir Logo is nicer. This is too plain!
                                visit my blog

Comment

Working...
                                X