Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know what stall 43 at Newton Hawker Centre makes/sells ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know what stall 43 at Newton Hawker Centre makes/sells ?

Apparently they charged some Americans almost US$ 500 for it , and have been closed for 3 months as a result!.

Seafood, or more specifically, giant tiger prawns - the staple rip-off at Newton.

The prawns are priced at $8/100g, and usually weigh at least 300-400g each. The party of 3-4 ordered 8.

I've gone to Newton many times for seafood (a friend lives nearby, it's convenient and tasty enough), and we order the non-overpriced stuff like chili crabs, barbecue stingray, and cereal prawns. Never had a problem with the cost. We just know to steer clear of the rip-off items.

Comment

I go there if I am staying at the Sheraton, which hasn't been for about a year now.

I don't eat Seafood anyway so have no issues with the price of big prawns.

Comment

http://www.soshiok.com/articles/12127

Comment

Whilst I have always avoided Newton circus, I always do make a point of asking the price of any food before I order in case of nasty surprises!

Having said that I paid over RM200 for a steam fish in Malaysia as I thought the price quoted was per kg....it turned out to be per 100g expensive lesson learned....

Comment

I read about it in the news. How unethical! I've never liked Newton. Its an over-hyped, touristy food court. Precisely why I'd advice my friends coming to Singapore to avoid it. There's really nothing special about it.

Comment

deleted
              Last edited by trekkie; 23 September 2010, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fimo View Post
                I've gone to Newton many times for seafood (a friend lives nearby, it's convenient and tasty enough), and we order the non-overpriced stuff like chili crabs, barbecue stingray, and cereal prawns. Never had a problem with the cost. We just know to steer clear of the rip-off items.
                I'm the same, usually eat there 1 or 2 times during my short trips - never have had any problems with being ripped off - guess it helps somewhat having locals with you...

Comment

That's some CRAZY expensive shrimp...I mean...prawns...I mean...shrimp...
                  HUGE AL

Comment

I also dont understand why Singaporeans would bring their tourist friends to Newton.

I mean if I were a tourist, or maybe that's just me, I'd want to go to somewhere offering authentic local cuisine, someplace good and where the locals would go. I would not want to go to a place that's made to just attract tourists.

Another thing I dislike is the touting over there. I think its gone down a lot after intervention from the authorities but there still is touting to a certain extent like stall owners would sometimes just put their menus on your table, almost intimidating you to order from them. I dont see this practice in any other food court and most Singaporeans like myself are uncomfortable with it.

These hard-selling tactics at Newton makes Singaporea look bad

The authorities should do something about this. After this incident, maybe a price ceiling can be imposed on the food sold (okay, there isn't any fine cuisine here, its almost perfect competition). There should also be stricter guidelins against touting and hard-selling.

Comment

I've been in Singapore 10 years now and in that time I've only been to newton circus once recently. Hated the touting and there were massive rats scurrying around our table so I haven't been back since

Comment

Don't they weigh the prawns in front of you before cooking?

Comment

Originally posted by concept|infinit View Post
                          I also dont understand why Singaporeans would bring their tourist friends to Newton.

I mean if I were a tourist, or maybe that's just me, I'd want to go to somewhere offering authentic local cuisine, someplace good and where the locals would go. I would not want to go to a place that's made to just attract tourists.
                          Newton may have some bad eggs, but I don't see the need to make it seem like a complete cesspool totally unworthy of patronage. Locals go to Newton as well. I do, my friends do. The food is fine, and frankly better than what some food courts in malls serve up.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperJonJon View Post
                            Don't they weigh the prawns in front of you before cooking?
                            it's not like you can ensure it's the same batch of prawns that go into the wok and to your table.

then again, why subject yourself to this kind of pain. go where most locals go, not where most tourists go.

with the kind of rental being charged for a slot in NC, little wonder why there is no let up in touting and scalping.

Comment

Originally posted by fimo View Post
                              Newton may have some bad eggs, but I don't see the need to make it seem like a complete cesspool totally unworthy of patronage. Locals go to Newton as well. I do, my friends do. The food is fine, and frankly better than what some food courts in malls serve up.
                              I think my negative stereotype of Newton is just by the high volume of complains they've gotten and some bad incidences I've had with them myself.

As a place on the tourist map all the more these "bad eggs" should be rooted out and their ethics improved. I dont want people coming to my country, going to Newton, and leaving it with their image of Singapore as a place with unethical business operators that tout and use almost primal tactics to lure and force patrons.

It really isn't like that at any of the other hundreds of foodcourts here as far as I've seen.

Well at least the authorities have taken action against the vendor in the subject of this thread:
                              NEA suspends Newton hawker stall's licence for overcharging tourist

It also looks like they need to check on their hygiene standards. Greatfox saw rats there! I've never seen a food court here with a single roddent around! I cant believe that can happen in Singapore. This is something NEA should look into if there really are rats there.

So on the whole I say a large intervention from the authorities is needed to ensure vendors at Newton abide by ethical practices of most other foodcourts here. The touting, hard-selling tactics has to be stopped completely. As in the above case I think license-suspensions or even revocation are thes best way to get the message across. Of course there should be better training for the vendors as well.
                              Last edited by concept|infinit; 21 March 2009, 12:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X