MRT to which terminal(s)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sumitsan View Post
    During my stay in Singapore, that train with the short route is the only train that I had luck finding a seat. Other trains are usually full.
    Hahah glad I'm not the only one to have experienced this - another reason why I'll take a cab to Changi

Comment

Just to be clear to those reading who might not know but the Tanah Merah interchange to get to or from the airport only involves getting off one train, walking 10 metres or so to the opposite platform and waiting for/getting on the next train! You don't need to take any lifts or use any stairs.

Comment

Living in the East of Singapore, I find the train service to Changi very convenient. It takes me about 10-15 minutes to get to Tanah Merah. When I get off at Tanah Merah its only about a 5 minute train for the train to Changi to arrive. Before there was train service to the airport, I'd only use it as an airport- for travel. Now I occassionally go there for lunch ;]

Some good planning must have gone into the whole works. There are two exits, one to T2 and the other to T3 as TerryK mentioned and its all very linear so its easy to navigate around.

Comment

Living in the East of Singapore, I find it completely the opposite.

Taking a bus to Tanah Merah takes me also around 10-15 mins, plus another 5 mins to the airport. However the time lost in waiting for the bus to arrive can easily add on 10 more minutes. By the time I am in-terminal, at the check-in desks, it's reasonable to expect 45 mins from door-to-door, and the cost is $3-4, with the added hassle.

Let's compare this with a taxi ride.

Cost: $8 and time taken 8 minutes door-to-door, 10 mins if it's really jammed on the ECP highway. 10-12 mins later I'm at the check-in counters.

If there's at least one other person going in a cab, the cost is similar to public transport.

I should consider going there for lunch by MRT one day..

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
            Living in the East of Singapore, I find it completely the opposite.

Taking a bus to Tanah Merah takes me also around 10-15 mins, plus another 5 mins to the airport. However the time lost in waiting for the bus to arrive can easily add on 10 more minutes. By the time I am in-terminal, at the check-in desks, it's reasonable to expect 45 mins from door-to-door, and the cost is $3-4, with the added hassle.

Let's compare this with a taxi ride.

Cost: $8 and time taken 8 minutes door-to-door, 10 mins if it's really jammed on the ECP highway. 10-12 mins later I'm at the check-in counters.

If there's at least one other person going in a cab, the cost is similar to public transport.

I should consider going there for lunch by MRT one day..

That's true, cabs here are still relatively cheap. It also makes a difference if you live near a train station like I do. My place is a stonethrow to Eunos mrt so a cab isn't much more convenient.

Although the airport is well serviced with buses too, the travelling time (I checked on SBS Transit's website) would be almost double compared to taking a train so I never took a bus there.

That's if I'm going to the airport for lunch but if I'm travelling, I'd still take a cab to the airport even these days. I usually have a lot of luggage, wouldn't want to fiddling around with it on the train or maybe I'm spoilt haha

Comment

My boarding pass is printed, my seat is reseved and i got my Ezlink card Is 9:30 still peak hours? Or should I wait a while before taking the
              MRT?

Comment

Originally posted by flyKL View Post
                My boarding pass is printed, my seat is reseved and i got my Ezlink card Is 9:30 still peak hours? Or should I wait a while before taking the
                MRT?
                9.30am? From experience the trains are most crowded between 7.30 and 9 in the mornings and 6.00 to 7.30 in the evenings so 9.30am or pm should be fine. Where are you boarding the train from?

Comment

Somerset (NS23)

Comment

from Somerset at 9.30am on a working day, you may still experienced some heavy volume, ie standing room only, till City Hall, (+ 2 more station from Somerset) where you'll need to change to a east-bound train. On east-bound,likewise, you'll still experience standing only till prob Bugis ( + 1 station) or maybe Lavendar (+ 1 more station). Thereafter, you shd be able to get a seat, i think. all the best.

Comment

No problem for me, I've been on worst train systems like the LRT in K.Lumpur

Comment

Originally posted by flyKL View Post
                        No problem for me, I've been on worst train systems like the LRT in K.Lumpur
                        Hahah the LRT in KL is a piece of cake compared to... oh well... I don't know... Say Cityrail in Sydney...

Comment

You are most welcome!!
                          Help make this article a better one!

Comment

living in the west, and only a few stations away from the Jurong East end of the EW line, it takes too long to get to/from the airport than compared to a relatively cheap taxi fare. If the trains didn't stop all stations I'd consider it, but I don't want to be on an MRT for an hour with luggage in tow when the alternative is reasonably priced, compared to another airport like Melbourne.

Comment

Living in the East of Singapore, I really don't know.

I am about a 5 minutes walk to the nearest MRT (Simei), but I cannot even remember when was the last time I took the MRT.

It is a ten minutes taxi ride from my home to the airport at a cost of 6 dollars. It would be a hassle for me to ride the MRT, having to walk to the nearest station, hauling my luggage along, riding westwards, one station and changing train at Tanah Merah. The other alternative I have is to get a ride to Expo station and get on the train from there..... and btw, I really did not know there are two stations at the airport....
                              This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
                                and btw, I really did not know there are two stations at the airport....
                                Neither did I, so don't feel too bad!

Comment

Working...
                                X