Terrorist escapes in Singapore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terrorist escapes in Singapore

Can't believe how this happened in Singapore! A JI leader escaped from the Whitley detention centre during a toilet break.

www.straitstimes.com many links to the story on the ST website

Members of the Gurkha contingent and various other forces are deployed all over looking for him throughout forest, drainage holes, vacated bungalows etc. Schools in the area were advised and security has been beefed up. Police in Johor and in the Riau Islands of Indonesia have been notified and are on the lookout. The deputy PM has already apologised for the incident and they say many forces have been deployed so the incident can be ended quickly. The man, Mas Selamat Kastari, was caputed in Indonesia in 2001 I think and was charged with having false document and for plotting to hijack a Singapore plane and crash it into Changi airport.
    Last edited by sqforever; 29 February 2008, 08:12 PM.
    Such a way about you, My Singapore Girl. Wouldn't go away without you, My Singapore Girl.

Originally posted by sqforever View Post
    Can't believe how this happened in Singapore! A JI leader escaped from the Whitley detention centre during a toilet break.

www.straitstimes.com
    I think and was charged with having false document and for plotting to hijack an SIA plane and crash it into Changi airport.
    Oh really? I for one would be interested to see any link to a reputable source that specifically identifies SIA as the specific target.

Comment

Originally posted by Mega Ark View Post
      Oh really? I for one would be interested to see any link to a reputable source that specifically identifies SIA as the specific target.
      My mistake. An article I read said a "Singapore" plane but I typed SIA automatically on impulse.
      Such a way about you, My Singapore Girl. Wouldn't go away without you, My Singapore Girl.

Comment

Yup...read this on CNA a few days ago (Thursday I think)....Prison Break, Singapore style

Comment

it was indeed an SQ flight. i recall the info was on SQ6x, flight from BKK to SIN.

Comment

This was unfortunate. Let's hope he is caught soon or starves in a ditch.

Comment

Originally posted by Mega Ark View Post
              Welcome to SQTalk, Mega Ark. Did somebody touch a nerve ?.

I have to say I was really surprised when I heard about this escape, and also that they still haven't caught him.

I was also somewhat confused by something I read in the Straits Times yesterday. I can't remember the exact wording now, but one of the paragraphs on the front page said words to the effect of 'The authorities/security services are keeping the status of the search under wraps...'

What a strange thing to do when you are in the middle of your biggest manhunt in history. In the UK, US and many other places, they are constantly keeping the broadcast (in particular) and print media updated. They hold live press conference's, the top man in charge will then do a round of interviews live, they answer questions live at press conference's. They offer advice on what to do and what not to do etc etc. After all, there's no organistation got more eyes and ears than the general public, and it's usually after somebody sees something and contacts them that they catch people.

I am sure they have very good reasons for doing this, but it's certainly different to the how things are done elsewhere.

Lets hope they get him sooner rather than later.

Comment

They've got two mugshots of him, with slightly different looks - which one is the one that's current? The one with or without the moustache/beard thingy?

Comment

The one without the mustache and goatee is the most current.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                    I can't remember the exact wording now, but one of the paragraphs on the front page said words to the effect of 'The authorities/security services are keeping the status of the search under wraps...'
                    Not sure if this observation is still valid now, but the public seems to be getting increasingly irritated over the information overload from the authorities!
                    Help make this article a better one!

Comment

Originally posted by Singapore_Air View Post
                      This was unfortunate. Let's hope he is caught soon or starves in a ditch.
                      I'll send in 1st guards battalion and get them to field camp in the jungle until he is caught. I think this is a more effective way of searching the jungle than what is being practised currently (move in for a few hours, then get out).
                      Any comments on this approach ??

Comment

Latest update!!

The escaped Mas Selamat has entered Malaysia.

The Malaysians have put up signs all over the country.....

SELAMAT DATANG

Comment

Whooosh!

(sorry, the sound of something going completely over my head )

Comment

SELAMAT DATANG?

LOLs! hahas!
                            haiz, i seriously hope he can be caught soon. Even better if he can turn himself in which is quite impossible. I was just wondering any travellers have doubt for paying a visit to Singapore after this terroist escape news.

Comment

Surprisingly.... my friend Mark, (who is in military police) said that he walked out of the gate!

personally, i think that he have left singapore for some sunny pasture (like iraq?)

Comment

Working...
                              X