My Encounter At Gate E2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Encounter At Gate E2

I know you people must be thinking of Gate E2 in Changi Airport's T1. Actually, I'm referring to one of the emergency gates along the airport's perimeter fence. Gate E2 is about in the middle of the section that runs alongside Changi Coast Road. From here, you have a superb view of departing aircraft on Runway 02C/20C.

That was just yesterday, Sunday, 10 June. It was about 12:25am when I arrived. Not much activity at that time of the night, besides catching 5J548 and SQ231 departing for Cebu and Sydney, respectively. I could also see SQ15 (I think) from Incheon and BI4423 arriving from Bandar Seri Begawan, however, both aircraft turned right towards the terminals before reaching where I was standing.

Anyway, there was only a small crowd that night. Only 3 cars when I arrived. A fourth came but left within 10 minutes. I told myself not to overstay. On my last trip, I had loitered for too long when a police car arrived. The mata took down my IC number and checked my driving licence, but otherwise I wasn't charged. This time I was keen to avoid that. I told myself, one more departing aircraft, and I would go. Soon, one car besides mine was left. SQ231 took off. However, greed took the better of me. In the distance, I could see an aircraft doing its final approach. OK, make this the last one, I promised myself.

The greater motivation, however, was that last car still hanging around. I had earlier seen a girl being pulled down by an arm so that both people were probably lying on their backs. After the aircraft landed, I would pretend to go to the other side of the gate so I could peep. I never got that chance. The police patrol came by, and once again, I was asked for my IC and licence. I was told by the young chap, they had been instructed by the higher-ups that offenders who parked along double yellow/zigzag lines and blocked emergency gates would be charged, however "we seldom do that". What luck. Twice in a row, I got caught.

I moved to the public carpark outside the Changi Ferry Terminal. There I caught a SilkAir plane, then a Tiger Airways one screaming overhead before I left. And as I left, this Northwest Airlines Cargo aircraft came in for landing too. What a night.

Oh yes... Before I left Gate E2, I hung around for a few more seconds to see what the couple was in for. For a good while, as the police car was parked behind their car, headlights solidly on them, there was no movement. Then the mata walked over and returned with a bemused look on his face. I thought, hey, you letting them off? However, after he deposited some things in his car, he walked over again, this time getting the action of the couple. I could see the guy climb out with a sheepish grin. What rotten luck, he and his girlfriend must have thought.
    My Cafe Adventures
    Be Among The First To Savour Aromatic Vietnamese Coffee
    http://www.mycafeadventures.com/

Nowadays, I dare not go there anymore. They are putting CCTV cameras already. Try plane spotting there sure get kena, better don't. Singapore has now very very few places for plane spotting. The last spot I know of is at Changi T1 Viewing Mall which is not so good but its fine with me. That will go soon and be half its current size. How sad. Is it possible to take pictures of planes at Changi Ferry Terminal carpark? I do have a telephoto lens, and maybe I should come here and spot instead at T1 viewing mall.
    Last edited by WSSS; 11 June 2007, 09:36 PM. Reason: English

Comment

I didn't notice CCTV cameras, however, one distinction addition to the party is a new fence that has been erected behind the original one. This one sports grilles that are closer together, so it somewhat limits your views of what is going on in there. When I was there, a door that led to the space between the two fences was left open. Talk about security.

Like you, I'm sad that we planespotters don't have many opportunities to see planes close-up. T1 Viewing Gallery? See plans in air-conditioned comfort? I would rather brave the elements outside, see aircraft take off 100m before me and hear the deafening roar of engines than to be put into a sterile environment. Oh well... I remember someone once posted here, "The Singapore Government takes terrorist threats very seriously." Sigh.
      My Cafe Adventures

Comment

served my ns duties at seletar camp...was nice being able to pop over to seletar airport too...small planes mostly...there werent much learjets then...you could go right up to the beginning of the runway...

Comment

Originally posted by pilotsnoopy View Post
          served my ns duties at seletar camp...was nice being able to pop over to seletar airport too...small planes mostly...there werent much learjets then...you could go right up to the beginning of the runway...
          Very nice. I would love such an experience. However, it is unlikely that such an opportunity will be given to me. Guess I have to wait for a few more years.

Originally posted by The High Flyer View Post
          I didn't notice CCTV cameras, however, one distinction addition to the party is a new fence that has been erected behind the original one. This one sports grilles that are closer together, so it somewhat limits your views of what is going on in there. When I was there, a door that led to the space between the two fences was left open. Talk about security.

Like you, I'm sad that we planespotters don't have many opportunities to see planes close-up. T1 Viewing Gallery? See plans in air-conditioned comfort? I would rather brave the elements outside, see aircraft take off 100m before me and hear the deafening roar of engines than to be put into a sterile environment. Oh well... I remember someone once posted here, "The Singapore Government takes terrorist threats very seriously." Sigh.
          Soon there will be CCTV cameras, they are doing the double fencing and stuff in phases. I passed by there during CNY 2007. Its somewhat not a good place to visit nowadays. I don't really like the T1 viewing mall (its a bit dark) but that is the last place to spot at. With a decent telephoto lens, I can get quite okay pictures of planes taxiing to T2 or the other gates. I also would like to spot with some noise of the aircraft. The T1 viewing mall is too peaceful to spot and with some soothing music to go with. Well, I wouldn't take the risk to go and spot along that gate and will just be contented with the T1 viewing mall or any better outdoor spot (where planes fly across or above you).
          Last edited by WSSS; 13 June 2007, 01:30 AM. Reason: Add reply to another user

Comment

Originally posted by pilotsnoopy View Post
            Were there any safety guidelines as to the access to the runway? I'm sure they restricted access when say, there were planes taking off in the next 10 minutes or so?
            My Cafe Adventures

Comment

Originally posted by WSSS View Post
              Very nice. I would love such an experience. However, it is unlikely that such an opportunity will be given to me. Guess I have to wait for a few more years.
              I have a colleague who once worked in CIAS (before the DNATA acquisition) as an account executive. She used to have this pass that allowed her access to the restricted area of the airport. I'm not talking about going airside within the terminal. I mean actually standing on the tarmac! Omigod. That's one unfulfilled dream of mine. I always relish every moment when I board an aircraft. When you're in the aerobridge, you can hear the faint whistle of the aircraft engines.

I don't really like the T1 viewing mall (its a bit dark) but that is the last place to spot at. With a decent telephoto lens, I can get quite okay pictures of planes taxiing to T2 or the other gates.
              The T1 Viewing Mall isn't the most ideal place for planespotting, but it's still way better than the T2 counterpart. You can see almost nothing there. At least over in T1, you're able to see some action while dining at Swensen's. I hope T3 is much better.

Well, I wouldn't take the risk to go and spot along that gate and will just be contented with the T1 viewing mall or any better outdoor spot (where planes fly across or above you).
              You'll be able to catch a bit of action at the Changi Ferry Terminal carpark. I remember having a good view of the MI and TR aircraft as they were doing their final approaches. However, as the view is partially blocked by trees, the windows of opportunity for taking pictures would be rather narrow. Also, I think, you might not be able to catch anything if the wind direction for the day changes and the carpark lies in the path of departing flights -- smaller aircraft get airborne faster, and to a lesser extent, aircraft usually bank left or right almost immediately after takeoff.
              My Cafe Adventures

Comment

I have a colleague who once worked in CIAS (before the DNATA acquisition) as an account executive. She used to have this pass that allowed her access to the restricted area of the airport. I'm not talking about going airside within the terminal. I mean actually standing on the tarmac! Omigod. That's one unfulfilled dream of mine. I always relish every moment when I board an aircraft. When you're in the aerobridge, you can hear the faint whistle of the aircraft engines.
                I had one of those tarmac access passes too, from when we implemented SAP at SQ. Still do, in fact, since I never returned it. Too bad it had an expiry date on it.

Comment

The SAFRA/NSRCC at Changi Coast Walk isn't a bad spot to planespot. There's a restaurant right on the beach, where planes fly almost right above you on short finals to 02C. Had a few company lunches there and was able to spot quite a few of arrivals, although I remembered most arrivals were using 02L.

any better outdoor spot (where planes fly across or above you).

Comment

Originally posted by Savage25 View Post
                    I had one of those tarmac access passes too, from when we implemented SAP at SQ. Still do, in fact, since I never returned it. Too bad it had an expiry date on it.
                    Till today, I wonder why my colleague had a pass for tarmac access. Why would a salesperson need access to an area like that? How about yourself? Care to share your experience?
                    My Cafe Adventures

Comment

Till today, I wonder why my colleague had a pass for tarmac access. Why would a salesperson need access to an area like that? How about yourself? Care to share your experience?
                      I can't remember why they gave us tarmac access - I was based in STC but had to go to SATS, SIAEC and Airline House while I was there (about 7-8 months), so it was either the Hangar access or the shuttle bus we took that ran on the tarmac from the terminals to Airline House.

Comment

The T1 Viewing Mall isn't the most ideal place for planespotting, but it's still way better than the T2 counterpart. You can see almost nothing there. At least over in T1, you're able to see some action while dining at Swensen's. I hope T3 is much better.
                        There's no more Swensen's at T1. That Swensen's closed down in 2005. It is okay in bright conditions (to take pics of course ) but when it is dark its real terrible. I was quite annoyed with some of my pics like SQ 744 being of quality not up to my standard when I took them from T1's viewing mall. I don't care about that viewing mall at T2, its the worst place to spot planes in SIN. Who can ever take a photo from there? Of course when I'm going for a holiday and its during the day, I will take a chance to stand at the waiting area downstairs and start spotting. The pics don't turn out nice due to the blue-green tinted glass at T2, but its fine with me. I doubt that T3's viewing mall is going to be better, its likely it will be like T2's, and T1's will become like T2's. That's sad. But well.

You'll be able to catch a bit of action at the Changi Ferry Terminal carpark. I remember having a good view of the MI and TR aircraft as they were doing their final approaches. However, as the view is partially blocked by trees, the windows of opportunity for taking pictures would be rather narrow. Also, I think, you might not be able to catch anything if the wind direction for the day changes and the carpark lies in the path of departing flights -- smaller aircraft get airborne faster, and to a lesser extent, aircraft usually bank left or right almost immediately after takeoff.
                        Not a very good spot I guess, very subjective. Are the planes well framed when it is taken with a telephoto lens? Besides, do you know where do people spot to take such pictures? [http://www.airliners.net/open.file?i...xt_id=1221096]

Originally posted by SQ168 View Post
                        The SAFRA/NSRCC at Changi Coast Walk isn't a bad spot to planespot. There's a restaurant right on the beach, where planes fly almost right above you on short finals to 02C. Had a few company lunches there and was able to spot quite a few of arrivals, although I remembered most arrivals were using 02L.
                        Maybe I shall go to the Jumbo restaurant there and eat instead of the usual one East Coast Park. Is the club open to public? I'm not a member of that club. Hmmm... I will consider of going there to spot? I used to have access to Laguna Country Club (member of a partner club I go to), but not anymore. The coffee house is a real real good place to spot landings. I wished I was a member or went there often. The last time I went for a lunch (this year), I spotted a few planes but my kit lens just couldn't focus so I only manage to snap a pic of one SQ 773. This was before I got my telephoto lens.
                        Last edited by WSSS; 13 June 2007, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Savage25 View Post
                          I can't remember why they gave us tarmac access - I was based in STC but had to go to SATS, SIAEC and Airline House while I was there (about 7-8 months), so it was either the Hangar access or the shuttle bus we took that ran on the tarmac from the terminals to Airline House.
                          Shortcut to the buildings in that area? I'm guessing Would love to go on the tarmac at SIN? I wonder you will get told off if you take your camera out to snap pics of planes and the airport.

Comment

Besides, do you know where do people spot to take such pictures?
                            You could ask the good people on ninervictor, some fab people there

Comment

Just spoke to my colleague today. She said she had to have access as she sometimes needed to meet customers to show them what her company could offer. Remember, she was selling CIAS' catering service, baggage-handling service, etc. There were also occassions when there were problems with the services and she had to go on-site with the customers to rectify them.

At other times, she went onto the tarmac as a means to reach the main terminal buildings (rather than going landside, then highway, which would be silly) -- so WSSS is right about the shortcut bit. Occassionally, new aircraft came to visit and she was invited to clamber onboard. She recalls visiting an Ilyushin IL-86.
                              My Cafe Adventures

Comment

Working...
                              X