Third runway and T4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
    Any options for us to help you think better and post something that actually makes sense ?.

You seem to have a handy knack of finding a bigger spade each time you post about Changi to dig an even bigger hole.

I am still waiting for your suggestions on how to redesign T1, 2 & 3 and how the Skytrain is a 'failure design' ?.
    Look back on my previous post on HKIA plan or new extension and 3rd runway. May be you have forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by cscs1956 View Post
      Look back on my previous post on HKIA plan or new extension and 3rd runway. May be you have forgotten.
      Nope. I've looked back through your posts made since you made those two bizarre claims and I can find nothing but more inane nonsense and what seems to be a peculiar obsession with HKIA, none of which explain those two statements.

So I'll ask again ; in what way is the Skytrain a 'failure design' and how would you redesign T1, 2 & 3 ?.

Comment

Keep you mind open and study more design from different airport will help you to think better.
        Wow ! It's you who thinks the skytrain is a failure, not me. And you expect me to think of a better design for you ? You for real ?
        What's your basis on saying the skytrain a failure ? And how is your proposed Circle line be able to negate your perceived problems of the skytrain and produce a better inter-airport transport than the existing skytrain ?

Simple questions. I'm waiting ...

Comment

Originally posted by boing View Post
          Wow ! It's you who thinks the skytrain is a failure, not me. And you expect me to think of a better design for you ? You for real ?
          What's your basis on saying the skytrain a failure ? And how is your proposed Circle line be able to negate your perceived problems of the skytrain and produce a better inter-airport transport than the existing skytrain ?

Simple questions. I'm waiting ...
          Tell me what happen when we started to build T3. What happen to the skytrain? when hey have to stop for major rework? Then try to put youself in same situation if T4 will be up soon?

When I say circle line. It is not the circle line MRT in the first place. What I hope is a train service run round the airport terminal, both way. So you can reach any terminals in any direction without going to the different "gate". This kind of system has been used in different airport in the world.

The skytrian is only good when we have only T1 and T2. ie point to point. Worse is skytrain itself is single track without backup (well, backup is thru buses).

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
            Nope. I've looked back through your posts made since you made those two bizarre claims and I can find nothing but more inane nonsense and what seems to be a peculiar obsession with HKIA, none of which explain those two statements.

So I'll ask again ; in what way is the Skytrain a 'failure design' and how would you redesign T1, 2 & 3 ?.
            Try this
            http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/f...ay-system.html

and google You Tube for some nice video and presentation.

or my previous post - if you search hard enough.
            http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12456

You may not understand half of that according to your reply. But is ok, the video say it all.

Comment

Whilst the SkyTrain fulfils a function I am not in favour of any airport that forces passengers onto a train or bus etc. Unfortunately this comes about by extension, such as HKIA and ICN. LHR in the very least managed to keep T1-3 all in the same place for what feels and looks like centuries so it's done a reasonable job given its limitations, moreso when considering Tube access.

Airports like Beijing and KUL were built from Day1 to use a train and this is something I can't agree with. Even BKK stands up to scrutiny in this company.

Changi works, given the nature of expansion through the years, and still better than even a couple of newer facilities. I knock Changi for not building a suitable T3 to handle all SIA flights but, credit where it's due.

Comment

Try this
                http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/f...ay-system.html

or my previous post - if you search hard enough.
                http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12456

You may not understand half of that according to your reply. But is ok, the video say it all.

Err, sorry but none of that has anything about your bizarre and still unsubstantiated claims about a 'failed' system and redesign of T1,2 & 3 required. And posting links in Chinese to an English language message board is another mark of genius. Added to that the top link is about a third runway at your beloved HKG that won't exist for at least another decade and I have got to go with Savage25 here ; what on earth are you smoking ?.

Comment

sometimes i wonder if i should bake a batch of muffins, much more calmer than the spread of emotional bullets i see flying around.

The runway and terminal extension plans were already in place as part of masterplan. Just a matter of when...

Comment

Originally posted by RHG View Post
                    sometimes i wonder if i should bake a batch of muffins, much more calmer than the spread of emotional bullets i see flying around.

The runway and terminal extension plans were already in place as part of masterplan. Just a matter of when...
                    As far I know, yes. So hope they put in much effort to try to intergrate the airport as a whole.

Comment

Oh blimey, he's still not done with that shovel of his...

As far I know, yes. So hope they put in much effort to try to intergrate the airport as a whole.

Comment

Obviously someone hasn't read the book "Changi by Design".

Comment

Originally posted by Nick C View Post
                          Obviously someone hasn't read the book "Changi by Design".
                          Why would anyone want to? It's blindingly obvious that HKIA's design is an astounding success and Changi's is an utter failure.

Comment

Tell me what happen when we started to build T3. What happen to the skytrain? when hey have to stop for major rework? Then try to put youself in same situation if T4 will be up soon?

When I say circle line. It is not the circle line MRT in the first place. What I hope is a train service run round the airport terminal, both way. So you can reach any terminals in any direction without going to the different "gate". This kind of system has been used in different airport in the world.

The skytrian is only good when we have only T1 and T2. ie point to point. Worse is skytrain itself is single track without backup (well, backup is thru buses).
                            AFAIK, the transition from the old skytrain to the new skytrain linking up with T3 was done with minimum disturbance. It was one of the design objectives when planning for the new skytrain. And a " Circle Line", like what you proposed, was also brought to the table. But after much studies, the present system was adopted. It is also stated that provisions for links to T4 were built into place. Have a read at this:
                            http://web.archive.org/web/200601131...y+Sugimoto.pdf
                            It was stated in a book by the CAAS that a Circle Line system skimming over the roofs of all 3 terminals was on the cards. It was not chosen as it required extensive foundation works over T1 and T2 and would also be aesthetically displeasing.

Whilst the SkyTrain fulfils a function I am not in favour of any airport that forces passengers onto a train or bus etc. Unfortunately this comes about by extension, such as HKIA and ICN. LHR in the very least managed to keep T1-3 all in the same place for what feels and looks like centuries so it's done a reasonable job given its limitations, moreso when considering Tube access.

Airports like Beijing and KUL were built from Day1 to use a train and this is something I can't agree with. Even BKK stands up to scrutiny in this company.

Changi works, given the nature of expansion through the years, and still better than even a couple of newer facilities. I knock Changi for not building a suitable T3 to handle all SIA flights but, credit where it's due.
                            Inter-terminal links to satellite buildings are almost limited to light train networks and there's nothing one can do about it. When Changi decides to built T5 and T6 at the land reserved for it near runway 3, it in essence becomes a satellite terminal and it would be interesting to see how the designers find solutions to link the old and the new

Comment

You are posting something like a tender specification. But what is the actual work done?

Circle line type of concept do not has to be on the roof. It can be under ground where the MRT line was actually planned for our airport for many years before it was officially openned to public. The problem is coordination between companies and departments who own that piece of work.

I am only interested in your last part of your post. It will be interesting to see how this APM system "expand" to take care of the new terminal.
                              Last edited by cscs1956; 24 July 2012, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
                                Why would anyone want to? It's blindingly obvious that HKIA's design is an astounding success and Changi's is an utter failure.
                                You cannot run away from how other has successed. Is our job to learn from them and do better. We used to be #1 for many years. What happen now?

Sure, we can say we are still better then many others. But if this is how we think, lets be it and wait for another 10-20 years. If I am still around, lets see how is Changi and the rest. Hope is not another SMRT culture.

Comment

Working...
                                X