No announcement yet.

SQTalk Poll: Mission-specific luggage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQTalk Poll: Mission-specific luggage?

Do you have different luggage for a one-day trip vs. three-day trip? Does it matter whether the trip is for leisure or for work?

And who manufactures your bags? Happy with them?

(My answers to be revealed once the discussion gets started. )
    Last edited by jjpb3; 26 February 2007, 10:00 PM. Reason: eek, grammar
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Ha! I was interviewing for a summer internship at a consulting firm and I was asked if I would be ready to travel at short notice. I replied that because I'd previously worked in consulting, I always had a bag packed for an overnight trip and one ready for a 4-night trip (Mon-Fri). Here's how my luggage breaks down:

Overnight trip
    Used to be: Samsonite Mobile Office, earlier version of this. Bought in BKK for THB 1800. 2002-2006 RIP.
    Now is: Targus Trademark Backpack. Bought in SIN for SGD 92.

4-night trip
    Used to be: VIP Skybag 21" rollaboard. Bought in MAA for INR 2500. 2003-2007 RIP.
    Now is: Samsonite Mobility 22" Side Roller. Bought off eBags.com last week for $59.

Longer than a week
    Delsey 31" rolling suitcase - I have two of these. Bought in SIN for SGD 125.

I even had separate toiletry kits for overnight (old SQ F Bvlgari case, packed with tiny-sized toiletries) and 4-day trips (slightly bigger Armani kit with travel-sized toiletries). Nowadays, its all come down to a ziplock bag

Comment

For 1 day business trip:
      1 garment bag by samsonite
      1 laptop bag by targus

For 1-3 days business trip
      1 garment bag by samsonite
      1 mandarina duck hand luggage
      1 laptop bag by targus

For 1-2 days leisure trip
      1 small hand luggage by mandarina duck (which includes one hanger for a suit)

For 3 to 7 days
      1 Duffel bag by Delsey
      + Backpack (if leisure trip)
      or GArment bag + laptop bag (if business trip)

I really don't love hard cases.
      Luke
      There's only One way to fly.... SINGAPORE AIRLINES!
      If SQ is too expensive, the other way to fly is Qatar Airways

Comment

I thought I might as well be up-front about my motives.

The reason I asked is, I think I'm an inefficient packer / planner.* I'm hoping to pick up tips from y'all.

Thanks so far for the insights.

*I'm hoping I'm not as bad as I think I am.
        Last edited by jjpb3; 25 February 2007, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Overnight trip - business: 20" Travelpro rollaboard (which has about 300k+ miles on it, and will fit underneath the seat in front of me in Y on the Airbii, if it has to) + my (expandable) Tumi briefcase.

Overnight trip - casual: 20" Travelpro rollaboard as above, a Briggs & Riley tote bag, a small duffle or a leather overnight bag. Depends on how much stuff I'm taking, if I need to take nicer clothing where I'd want the suiter in my rollaboard, and if I'm packing summer-weight clothing or winter.

More than overnight trip: Rollaboard...which one depends on if there's any chance I'm going to want or need to check my rollaboard (although one friend on this board has seen me use said B&R tote for a weekend trip to SIN). Either the 20" TravelPro or my 22" Rollaboard by PurdyNeatStuff (which I LOVE, even though it weighs about 5 pounds more than the TravelPro -- I knew I needed to replace the TravelPro (it's still in good shape but I know I'm pushing the good luck I've had with it) and talked quite a bit with several friends who fly for a living, and they all swear by their PurdyNeat rollaboards... one of them told me I wasn't "allowed" to get anything else.)
          I also usually have either my briefcase, or one of several totes, for the stuff I'd want to have easy access to in-flight.

For weeklong trips: What are those?
          I also have an expandable 22" rollaboard, & 26" and 30" pseudo-rollaboards which I can use, combined with a briefcase or tote...although I can't remember the last time I used the 26" or 30" bags.
          Last edited by cawhite; 27 February 2007, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Here is a list of the luggage I have.

One backpack type computer bag (Techaf) - provided by work
            Small rollaboard - American Tourist
            24" Suitcase - Antler
            26" Suitcase - Tumi

I brought the Tumi to replace the Antler as the Antler was really looking a bit worn but in the end I have kept both as the Antler still works.

The computer bag goes on nearly every trip -then in addition

So normally for short trips up to 2 or 4 days it is the the rollaboard plus laptop.

Then for longer trips out comes the Tumi.

For very long trip ie over 1 month then it will be the Tumi plus either the Antler or the rollaboard.

Another factor for me is how much I need to carry for work so even for a short trip I can end up having to take the Tumi if I have to carry lots of stuff to the office.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
              Do you have different luggage for a one-day trip vs. three-day trip? Does it matter whether the trip is for leisure or for work?

And who manufactures your bags? Happy with them?

(My answers to be revealed once the discussion gets started. )
              Altantic rollaboards and suitcases, first the Eternity IV line, now the Atlantic Professional V one, which is not as good as the Eternity (in terms of space), but has more heavy-duty specs...

Too bad TravelPro has bought out Atlantic...they made awesome luggage...affordable and would last...

For suitcases, all Atlantic ones, Pro V (2 x 26", 1 x 24"), Eternity V (2 x 28"), Infinity LX (1 x 26")

I can't be sure on dimensions, as these are not being sold anymore.

One day:

Bring my laptop bag.

If possible delay (longer than one day): Bring laptop bag + rollaboard (with set of clothes).

2 days or longer, India-regional:

Bring laptop bag + rollaboard.

24" suitcase with supplies.

International:

Laptop bag + rollaboard.

3 x 26" suitcases (to carry back food/supplies/electronic stuff, etc.)
              Last edited by jjpb3; 26 February 2007, 10:00 PM.

Comment

I guess it's my turn to answer. My answers are conditioned by the fact that my home airport is the one with the ridiculous carryon restrictions .

Leisure vs. business determines what type of carryon I bring aboard. Work = laptop bag; leisure = something more aligned with my mood on the day of travel. This might mean a leather carryon , a more utilitarian nylon Briggs & Riley carryon, or a my Tumi backpack.

The BAA nonsense has essentially levelled my checkin options. I'd need to check my bag in, regardless of the length of the business trip. I'm increasingly favoring my B&R 22" rollaboard for one-to-three day trips. (I might, however, pick up a 20" rollaboard over my Easter trip to Singapore .)

If I'm going to Singapore, the Philippines, or New York, I'll use my large B&R suitcase. The expandable feature just about allows me to accommodate my shopping splurges. If I need more than that, I'm packing too inefficiently.

Comment

I always bring a rollaboard and a bag (soft briefcase/tote/backpack) to the cabin except when only one piece is allowed (never so far as I have yet to travel to UK after the restriction was put in force). I use mostly 20" rollaboards from Tumi (have a lightweight black, lightweight lime green , and a Tumi LXT to choose from), LV Taiga Pegase, and a super light and space-efficient Muji (Japan) rollaboard that I have seen some SQ FAs use (sadly this model is now discontinued ) for when cabin bag weight is policed strictly on my flight.

For check-in luggage: I now use mostly Tumi (24", 26", 29") depending on needs. Other than Tumi, I also use an expandable lightweight Samsonite for when baggage allowance is scarce. Retired some LV Pullmans after one of my Tumis got holed (looked like drilled) by TSA. For longer travels, it just means extra pieces to bring.

Comment

Originally posted by StarG View Post
                    For longer travels, it just means extra pieces to bring.

erm.... HOW MANY extra?

Comment

Working...
                    X