SQ Young Explorer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ Young Explorer

I was digging through my old things the other day and came across something interesting, my old young explorer passport.

For the uninitiated, young explorer was the programme that SIA had for young kids aged 12 or under back in the early to mid 1990s. I'm not sure what's happened to it but I'm quite sure it went the way of Elvis, the Beatles and Stephen Forshaw a long time ago.

My dad had to fly to the US (SFO) very often for business and my family would tag along. My sister and I would present our young explorer cards at the desk and feel all grown up as the check in agent (they actually cared about their jobs back then) importantly handled our cards first and credited miles to our account (they even had their own tier system for young explorer, i think the more miles you flew the better gifts you were eligible for. like a pencil case. or a water bottle. no krug though)

I remember in the days before 9/11 they were much laxer with security on the plane. Sometimes the door to the cockpit would even be left open. We would be on the 747 and on the upper deck, and at some point in the flight the stewardess would come up to us and ask us if we wanted to go see the captain. Of course we did, and the captain would entertain us for about 15 minutes or so, pointing at various knobs and buttons before signing our passport book, which was to certify that we had travelled the miles.

Then one day I turned 13 and they sent me a blue krisflyer card, and my childhood ended there. Oh woe.

Anyone here still remembers this?

That is so cute! I never knew they had that.

I flew on SQ as a kid in the late 90s but I guess this scheme must have been scrapped by then.

>> Deprived childhood

Comment

Actually my brother got that Young explorer card when he first joined KrisFlyer in 2003...

Comment

I remember those days very well ... I was a Young Explorer too and my childhood also ended when I received my first KrisFlyer card ... a silver one as far as I can remember. I also went to see the captain in the cockpit various times, mostly on the 744's from ZRH to SIN ... good ol days.
        Home is where your heart is.

Comment

I never had the young explorer passport and haven't heard of it until now, but I remember travelling as an Unaccompanied minor with SQ on SIN-VIE-AMS-YYZ back in '91, and even though I was in economy class, the stewardess came and offered to take me upstairs into the cockpit. Towards the last 1.5-2 hrs before the final destination, they'd move me to the front deck (First class nose section deck) to separate me from the rest of the pax, and from that point, they'd give me first class treatment for the remainder of the period, which was cool. No other airline did that for me whenever I travelled as a UM. One of the many reasons why I will always love SQ.

Comment

I had Young Explorer and Junior Jetters

I remember getting better gifts as a Junior Jetter like puzzles and stuff but once Young Explorer hit I only got post cards for my birthday. Then the blue KF card came when I was 13

Comment

Originally posted by sumitsan View Post
              the stewardess came and offered to take me upstairs into the cockpit.
              that is a priceless expierence...

Comment

back in the 90s the stewardess seemed to be nicer. they'd give out those little othello sets and playing cards and models of the plane. i suppose since there was little to no IFE then they had to keep kids occupied somehow. I also got coloring books and pencils too.

now i think SQ relies on their videogames to keep kids occupied.

Comment

Originally posted by mad max View Post
                  back in the 90s the stewardess seemed to be nicer. they'd give out those little othello sets and playing cards and models of the plane.
                  Yeah! I've gotten those too! I even remembered once, when flying SFO-HKG, an air steward helped my mum carry me to my seat as I fell asleep while waiting to board the aircraft. I was 5 then. Ahhh~ Those were the days man!
                  We put labels on people and fight wars over them. If we truly want harmony, we have to get past the labels.

Comment

Originally posted by mad max View Post
                    back in the 90s the stewardess seemed to be nicer. they'd give out those little othello sets and playing cards and models of the plane. i suppose since there was little to no IFE then they had to keep kids occupied somehow. I also got coloring books and pencils too.

now i think SQ relies on their videogames to keep kids occupied.
                    From what I've observed (in Y I'm usually a couple of rows back from the kiddie rows), the cabin crew still hand out goodies to the young 'uns, and they still dote on them.

The difference you perceive may perhaps be due to the fact that they don't coo over those who have grown past Young Explorer age.
                    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                      The difference you perceive may perhaps be due to the fact that they don't coo over those who have grown past Young Explorer age.
                      Guess that depends on who you are jjpb3

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnar Smithsen View Post
                        Guess that depends on who you are jjpb3
                        Perhaps. In all my flights, I can't say I've ever witnessed cabin crew cooing over an adult.

I'll have to ask you for an imitation when I meet you, so I can learn to recognize it on my flights.
                        ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

I'll have to ask you for an imitation when I meet you, so I can learn to recognize it on my flights.
                          Heheh indeed - quite hard to describe in words

Comment

From what I've observed (in Y I'm usually a couple of rows back from the kiddie rows), the cabin crew still hand out goodies to the young 'uns, and they still dote on them.

damn it i am a paying customer and i demand to be given plastic airplane models, sweets, and tucked into my seat with a nice song.

Comment

Originally posted by sabian View Post
                              that is a priceless expierence...
                              YES! indeed!
                              all because of 9/11,entering cockpit is almost impossible now.

Comment

Working...
                              X