MRT to which terminal(s)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MRT to which terminal(s)?

Hi all, I'm going to Changi from downtown soon but thought it may be fun to ride the MRT there. I just need to know which terminal does the MRT stop at?

Thanks in advance

Tanah Merah - Expo - Changi T2

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
      Tanah Merah - Expo - Changi T2
      Hmmm, i just read a magazine and it said that the MRT also goes to T3. is this true?

Comment

Nope, that's the SkyTrain. That serves all 3 terminals, but here you're talking specifically about the MRT, or am I wrong?

T3 is a short hop from T2 (3 mins wait max normally)

Comment

Oh thanks The train from Boon Lay goes to Changi or Pasir Ris? Yup it's my first time in the MRT

Comment

It takes you to Pasir Ris if you don't get off at Tanah Merah.

To get to the airport you need to get off at Tanah Merah and transit to the direct airport line (with only the Expo stop in the middle, which you don't get off at).

Enjoy the MRT experience! Do find time to TR about it. I'm sure it'll be most entertaining

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
              It takes you to Pasir Ris if you don't get off at Tanah Merah.

To get to the airport you need to get off at Tanah Merah and transit to the direct airport line (with only the Expo stop in the middle, which you don't get off at).

Enjoy the MRT experience! Do find time to TR about it. I'm sure it'll be most entertaining
              Especially the "transit" at Tanah Merah I'll try, but it's my phone camera, I left my Canon at KL. So it can be really blurry.

Comment

Not to contradict someone from SIN, but IIRC, the MRT stops between T2 and T3. You can choose to exit into T2 or T3, just follow the signs. You need to take the SkyTrain to go to T1.

Comment

TerryK is correct. The station is between T2 & T3. One exit takes you to T2, the other to T3

Comment

Humblest apologies. I must search for the T3 exit in future!

Comment

Does anyone know why SMRT do not make a more direct service to Changi instead having to change at Tanah Merah?

The few times I've used the MRT to get to the airport I found it (pedantically) annoying having to get off and then get on another train...

But I'll take a $25 cab ride from the City to Changi over a cab fare from Sydney City to Kingsford Smith anyday...

Comment

I have never taken the MRT to Changi and didn't realise you always had to change at Tanah Merah.

Where do the trains that finish at Changi originate then ?.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                          I have never taken the MRT to Changi and didn't realise you always had to change at Tanah Merah.

Where do the trains that finish at Changi originate then ?.
                          The MRT that goes to Changi run between Tanah Merah & Changi only. During my stay in Singapore, that train with the short route is the only train that I had luck finding a seat. Other trains are usually full. But they are much cleaner and more comfortable than the TTC subways in Toronto.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnar Smithsen View Post
                            Does anyone know why SMRT do not make a more direct service to Changi instead having to change at Tanah Merah
                            The Changi route was an additional branch which opened two decades after the original system opened between 1987 and 1991. As the planners anticipated from day one, ridership on this branch is much lower than the traffic going towards Pasir Ris.

When the airport route finally opened, the initial arrangement had trains running direct from Boon Lay through to the city and onwards to Changi Airport, while the normal route to Pasir Ris continued to operate. The Changi-bound trains had special provisions which included space to store luggage and such.

This soon began to cause problems, when the local community, used to having every train that pull into the station to continue to Pasir Ris, end up discovering themselves at Changi. Much of the travelling public, in particular the older folks, do not have a habit of reading the displays each time a train pulls into the station. And since much of the local travelling crowd are actually headed to the last three stations towards Pasir Ris, a large crowd ends up changing trains at Tanah Merah if they choose to take the Changi-bound trains.

So the end result was a large number of commuters inconvenienced by a much smaller number of commuters. Ultimately, SMRT decided to switch to the current arrangement. And since they found few travellers using the MRT with luggage in tow, there was little need to keep the configurations with luggage-storage spaces too.
                            Help make this article a better one!

Comment

huaiwei.

Many thanks for that very thorough and sound explanation!

Comment

Working...
                              X