Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why would you fly between Singapore and KL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why would you fly between Singapore and KL?

I'm just wondering ... if there's no need to connect to another flight and I simply want to get from Singapore downtown to KL downtown, is there any good reason to fly (compared to taking a cheaper luxury coach service) other than getting miles ?

Adding up all the time for getting to/from the airports, checking-in etc, the coach is not that much slower, e.g. only by 1 or 2 hours if I recall.

(It's much the same argument for why fly London to Paris when the train takes 2:15 hrs with check-in 10 mins before departure on a J tix (or 30 mins on a Y tix)).

convenience and style

Originally posted by jhm View Post
    I'm just wondering ... if there's no need to connect to another flight and I simply want to get from Singapore downtown to KL downtown, is there any good reason to fly (compared to taking a cheaper luxury coach service) other than getting miles ?

Adding up all the time for getting to/from the airports, checking-in etc, the coach is not that much slower, e.g. only by 1 or 2 hours if I recall.

(It's much the same argument for why fly London to Paris when the train takes 2:15 hrs with check-in 10 mins before departure on a J tix (or 30 mins on a Y tix)).
    There are several aspects involved here:

Lets compare it with Aeroline, a luxury coach I tried many times.

Here in Singapore you have to go to Harbor-front to take the bus.
    That requires you to take a taxi or someone brings you there.

Then you are almost 1 hr on the way to Tuas, depending on the traffic, there you have to leave the bus to go trough Singapore immigration and after crossing the bridge, the same again at the Malaysian side.

On the way they show you a outdated movie and the food is at best just edible.

The in-bus toilet facility is, as they say, for "light use only" and they have to stop the bus somewhere for more than that.

No decent shopping facility on the way, except at harbor-front.

The possibility of an accident is not to be underestimated, considering the notorious lorries parked along the highway or speeding like nuts.

After 4 more hrs you reach KL or PJ where you either flag down a (mostly) dirty taxi to get to your final destination or again someone picks you up.

Even with a (reasonably) higher price I would prefer to travel in style and enjoy every aspect of taking the plane.

This is not Europe where traveling by train is a pleasure.
    Last edited by resm; 15 January 2008, 09:16 PM.
    Life is like a box of chocolates.

Comment

Originally posted by resm View Post
      This is not Europe where traveling by train is a pleasure.
      ... and where travelling through LHR (check-in queues, security queues (shoes off, liquid restrictions, one hand luggage in recent times etc), immigration queues, delays etc) can be a chore (unilke the brand spanking new super duper SIN T3 )!

Having said that, I was thinking about (for example) how you get from KL downtown to the airport which will also require a lift from someone or an expensive taxi ride; plus the time required for check-in etc.

Compare that to a coach - my one and only experience (so admittedly not representative) was taking one from the old KL railway station which was convenient. Arrive there, have a doughnut and a hot chocolate in the waiting room, sleep on the bus or look at the view (with a sandwich and a drink distributed during the journey); and you arrive in Singapore a few hours later.

Comment

Whole point of flying between Singapore and KL is to fly First Class (the fare difference is very little) and spen many hours beforehand in the respective First Class lounges. Fly SQ SIN-KUL (F lolung is ok - just!) and return F on MAH to enjoy the fabulous First Class Lounge at the KL Satellite. Last time I did it I flew on a 7pm flight but checked-in at 10.30 and then relaxed all day in the lounge. Heaven!

Comment

Having said that, I was thinking about (for example) how you get from KL downtown to the airport which will also require a lift from someone or an expensive taxi ride; plus the time required for check-in etc.
          28 minutes on the KLIA Express train from KL Central station to KUL.

Originally posted by david747 View Post
          Whole point of flying between Singapore and KL is to fly First Class (the fare difference is very little) and spen many hours beforehand in the respective First Class lounges. Fly SQ SIN-KUL (F lolung is ok - just!) and return F on MAH to enjoy the fabulous First Class Lounge at the KL Satellite. Last time I did it I flew on a 7pm flight but checked-in at 10.30 and then relaxed all day in the lounge. Heaven!
          This was a nice option when you could enjoy the Dom in the SKL F lounge at Changi, and Krug before that. Now that's gone it's ruined the novelty somewhat.

The MH lounge at KUL is nice, but I've yet to find a lounge on the planet that is worth spending an unforced 8 hours in.

Comment

That, is precisely what most other folk do. After 300 singles on this route by MH/JL and SQ - I can tell you it's absolutely no fun at all, F class or not. You really wonder where all the time went when you disembark at the other end. You don't get the feeling you've gone too far, and yet a whole chunk of time's passed you by.

Going by car is even quicker. From my place (with an admittedly 25 minute head start on the central KLites because I live on the southwest side of town) to downtown orchard road including a fuel stop in Tuas is about 3 hours 10 door to door.

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
            The MH lounge at KUL is nice, but I've yet to find a lounge on the planet that is worth spending an unforced 8 hours in.
            Spot on. Neither have I. I'd rather spend out and about in town.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
              Going by car is even quicker. From my place (with an admittedly 25 minute head start on the central KLites because I live on the southwest side of town) to downtown orchard road including a fuel stop in Tuas is about 3 hours 10 door to door.
              Have you ever been tempted to pop down to Singapore after work for a quick drink ?

Comment

I fully agree & most of the time I get the bus. There are a number of very good coach services that go from different parts of Singapore (I get the one from DFS on Scotts), and I like the fact that I can relax on the bus with a book, iPod or laptop (there are power sockets available) for a few hours & catch up on stuff.
                It gets into KL Sentral which is about 15 mins taxi from the hotel that I stay at.
                For me this beats jumping from taxi to checking, lounge, departure gate, flight, immigration, train, and taxi again...

Comment

Have you ever been tempted to pop down to Singapore after work for a quick drink ?
                  I've been known to do that on occasion . 3 hours down, meet up, head back home at 11ish-midnight, arrive at 3am. Knackered the next day - but oh what fun!

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                    After 300 singles on this route by MH/JL and SQ - I can tell you it's absolutely no fun at all, F class or not.
                    Perhaps you need to try the alternative route you suggested last year:

http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1050

The Romance of Travel indeed!

Comment

Perhaps you need to try the alternative route you suggested last year:

http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1050

The Romance of Travel indeed!
                      I shall one of these days. I think the 2 little fellas would enjoy it too.

Comment

well if one has a confirmed outboaund flight to KUL, one can arrive to check-in just 40 mins (preferably no luggage to check-in) and once in KLIA can take either the klia express train to town or taxi if going to subang/sunway which is just a 37 min drive.
                        Flying 1st class on SIN-KUL-SIN is not really an option as one gets usually the older regional biz class on SQ and even older biz seats on MH ageing A330s. But MH 1st class lounge is truly miles much better than SKA at T2. Driving between SIn to KUL esp in making it just under 4 hrs may likely get one either one or two speeding tickets - and if one stays within the speed limit the total jave journey will still take like 6 hrs dorr to door.

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                          Driving between SIn to KUL esp in making it just under 4 hrs may likely get one either one or two speeding tickets - and if one stays within the speed limit the total jave journey will still take like 6 hrs dorr to door.
                          It's a 110 km/h speed limit for 90+% of the journey.

With no jams it's not going to take 6 hours for a 350ish KM journey I'm afraid. In fact, I've never done it EVER in more than 4 hours (and I do this plenty much). And yes, I stick to the speed limit cause my company gets very cross with people who get fines driving fleet cars.

Comment

Nowadays the speed cameras log Sing reg. cars directly to a database. In the good old days, for an informal "toll", the nice chaps who pull you over would even advise where else to slow down further into the journey...

Comment

Can someone point me to the bus services that leave from KL Sentral (not Puduraya) to Singapore? I probably need to do this in May.

Comment

Working...
                              X