SQ 318 26th Apr A380 Turn Back to Changi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ 318 26th Apr A380 Turn Back to Changi

My cousin, who is onboard, reported auto pilot & navigation were knocked out & faulty, A380 was flying along Indian Ocean had to turn back to Changi after about 4 hours into the flight.

Now all are safe & back at Changi, flying off again at 2355 hours as SQ 318D

Theres also a special flight "SQ516R" this afternoon at 1.00pm
    donno what happened?
    orginal time was to be 9pm

Comment

This just seems to be happening too often these days, minor thing here, small issue there..and not only in SIA to be fair. There are just too many delays, repairs, returned flight on the A380. Imagine how many more of those cases are not made known to passengers/ the public... I don't feel safe flying the A380 and much rather take a 777. Unfortunately, its hard to avoid taking the a380 when flying back to Europe...

Comment

Originally posted by QPPS flyer 2 View Post
        This just seems to be happening too often these days, minor thing here, small issue there..and not only in SIA to be fair. There are just too many delays, repairs, returned flight on the A380. Imagine how many more of those cases are not made known to passengers/ the public... I don't feel safe flying the A380 and much rather take a 777. Unfortunately, its hard to avoid taking the a380 when flying back to Europe...
        Can you back any of this up with data?

Comment

Unfortunately, its hard to avoid taking the a380 when flying back to Europe...
          Most of the EU is served by the 777 MAN, MUC, AMS, BCN, MPX, FRA (SQ326), FCO, ATH

Comment

Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
            Most of the EU is served by the 777 MAN, MUC, AMS, BCN, MPX, FRA (SQ326), FCO, ATH
            Well, soon there won't be a choice to LON either

Comment

. Imagine how many more of those cases are not made known to passengers/ the public.
              Quite alot actually. And these do not involve the A380, thus the absence in the media. A380 high profile EIS makes it a convenient target for media personnel, giving it the false impression that it goes MX often.

Truth is, every aircraft goes through this. There is an air or ramp turnback almost every other day. An aircraft from a prominent carrier made an air turnback this morning. Does anyone know about this ? Probably not as it was not an A380.

Comment

Originally posted by boing View Post
                Quite alot actually. And these do not involve the A380, thus the absence in the media. A380 high profile EIS makes it a convenient target for media personnel, giving it the false impression that it goes MX often.

Truth is, every aircraft goes through this. There is an air or ramp turnback almost every other day. An aircraft from a prominent carrier made an air turnback this morning. Does anyone know about this ? Probably not as it was not an A380.
                Agreed. We went through the same issue with the Australian press and QF after the A380 situation. Suddenly every slight turbulence bump became big news. Personally I have no time for QF management and their practices anger me, but that doesn't mean I think such events are a cause for concern.

Two ways to look at a turn-back: an airline/aircraft that has safety issues turns back in a panic, or an airline that cares about safety adheres to strenuous protocols and turns back simply to double-check

Comment

Originally posted by mr_botak View Post
                  Can you back any of this up with data?
                  Just count those incidents reported in varies forum.
                  Guess airline and Air Bus will know this number best.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                    Agreed. We went through the same issue with the Australian press and QF after the A380 situation. Suddenly every slight turbulence bump became big news. Personally I have no time for QF management and their practices anger me, but that doesn't mean I think such events are a cause for concern.

Two ways to look at a turn-back: an airline/aircraft that has safety issues turns back in a panic, or an airline that cares about safety adheres to strenuous protocols and turns back simply to double-check
                    It has to, as it is big. So every delay or turn back result in great lost from both Airlines and passengers.

Comment

Originally posted by cscs1956 View Post
                      It has to, as it is big. So every delay or turn back result in great lost from both Airlines and passengers.
                      I regard all planes that SQ flies as big. A 777 is not small and can contain over 250 people.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                        I regard all planes that SQ flies as big. A 777 is not small and can contain over 250 people.
                        yap, However, if A380 failed, you need 2x777 to fill the passengers. Especially those on business class and first class. AND do not forget these people pay extra to travel on A380 and not on some of those old 777. This is what the original post about anyway !

Comment

Originally posted by cscs1956 View Post
                          . This is what the original post about anyway !

The OP was talking about equipment swaps? Hmmm, sorry, I guess it's my fault for not reading it carefully.

Comment

'

Why complain? Then dont fly the A380..nobody force you right? Typical...

Comment

Originally posted by coldastone72 View Post
                              '

Why complain? Then dont fly the A380..nobody force you right? Typical...
                              Thanks for your invaluable and constructive input coldastone72
                              Not sure why you participate to forums if u make derogatory comments about others' opinions...
                              Looking forward to your reply...

Comment

Working...
                              X