Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any experience of Missed Approach to share ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any experience of Missed Approach to share ?

Hello All,

First of all sorry to Mod if this thread ever exist try to search but not found yet.

My first ever experience was yesterday SQ 975 BKK - SIN .

Prior to land capt announce that we will land earlier cause of weather conditions and it felt it was being hurried , flaps , gear down , and approaching soon and fast..

Look at window , it was indeed very stormy and heavy rain and I think around 200 feet capt suddenly push full throttle and we are airborne again

Then capt announced again that nothing to worry and we make another attempt and we landed.

Any experience to share guys ?

I've experienced a go-around on SQ on approach to Penang a few years back due to weather, and one on CI on approach to TPE due to another aircraft not vacated runway.

Comment

Had one experience many, many years ago on SQ21 EWR-SIN. Landing in the dark, raining but visibility was still okay as I could see the terminal building. I recall that the plane was racing just above the runway, for a tad longer than normal. Then the engines revved up and we were airborne again.

The captain didn't come onto the PA to explain what happened until quite a few minutes have passed. In the meantime, I was convincing myself that the plane would have enough fuel to come back around even after 18 hours of flying.

Of course the plane went around and landed about 10-15mins later with no issues. I remember that it was the only SQ21 that I've been that I saw two dawns.

Comment

happened to me 2 weeks ago. CGK-SIN.
        Also due to heavy rain.

But no announcement from captain.
        It was as if it were routine and nothing wrong had happened.

Comment

Have experienced it at least 3 times.

SQ @CDG: aircraft ahead slow to take-off,
          SQ @SFO: not explained,
          EK @DXB: aircraft ahead slow to vacate runway.

Comment

Once, something was on the runway (not an aircraft but can't recall what).

Comment

thankfully, none for me so far.....
              This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Once at MLE on Maldivian. Heavy rain and pilot could not see the runway. Two very bumpy approaches on a DCH8

Comment

@SIN - Windshear and strong winds
                  @ZRH (X2!!) First one wheel touched then off we went due to strong winds, second attempt too dangerous third attempt hit with a thud...
                  @MAN aircraft slow to exit runway.

And @ZRH aborted take off due to high winds!!! The plane was swaying sat on the runway waiting to take off...We went about 100m then abruptly stopped.
                  When finally taking off we went like a rocket ship in the climb...

All good fun.
                  Last edited by FlyingDobber; 9 March 2013, 02:46 AM. Reason: sPellung

Comment

I've had a few go arounds over the years, they can sometimes be fun. Not always, granted. Expecially on VN at HAN....or oil company Fokker 70's at Libyan Oil Fields...

First one was TG 744 at LHR. It was dark and difficult to judge how far we had to go but it seemed right at the last minute (like they all do, of course...).

Best one was probably in Belize when flying in a Tropic Air Cessna Caravan from Belize City Municipal down to Punta Gorda. When coming in to land at one of the strips on the way down there, Dangriga I think, we suddenly went back up and the pilot, (who I was sat next to at the time ) said 'Sorry about that, kids on the runway again'.

The most recent was a BA 777 into IAH about six months ago. They warned us there was some heavy weather around, and while we could see it over the far end of IAH and we seemed in the clear we still went around when pretty low. The best part of that was we stayed at quite a low level while going around to try again, which gave some interesting views of parts of the Houston suburbs. I enjoyed it but the missus certainly didn't.
                    Last edited by MAN Flyer; 12 March 2013, 04:24 AM.

Comment

Happened twice or thrice on the same flight SIN-HKG.
                      This happened about 3 years back. In the end we had to divert to TPE and spend the night there.
                      HKG was bracing themselves for a cyclone or typhoon during that period.

Comment

I've been rather unlucky and had none. I want to experience one !!
                        My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Had a 2 in 1 flight missed approach almost a year ago on SQ1. Attempt to land in HKG in stormy weather and pilot pulled the plane up when we are probably less than 20m from touch down. Crew attempt a second approach and we pulled up again although 2nd time we pulled up when we are in the clouds. In the end we landed in Shenzhen. After 3 hours, I had the shortest flight ever in a 777, from Shenzhen to HKG

Comment

Hahaha yea happened to meet one of the crew working that flight at Yung Kee.
                            Always happens around April , sqdazz, you'll get your chance next month.

Comment

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
                              thankfully, none for me so far.....
                              got my first today on TG 413.... think it would be a few more minutes before landing, then felt the plane lurched upwards, plenty of noises, some vibration.... Captain came on the horn after plane levelled up and announced that he had to abandon landing as there were some loose object on the runway....... turned around and approached second time..... landing was hard and maybe a little too fast, felt the plane braking strongly.....

This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Working...
                              X