X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JetBlue "Mint" Inaugural - LAX-JFK-LAX June 2014

JetBlue Mint Inaugural Review
    June 2014

JetBlue IMHO has always been a different breed of airlines, and has definitely created a loyal following, as it has always branded itself as a unique airline and it is very generous when it comes to legroom and amenities, and one of the few airlines that allow passengers to check in one free piece of baggage. It also does not overbook (but I am not sure if this is still the case). To me the best part is always its customer service and many frontline employees, who are always enthusiastic and proud of the airline. High morale is always a key to good service or at least staffs feel more incentive to wish the airline to be successful. Innovation is always the principle that JetBlue follows. Sure the airline has its downfalls, especially its meltdowns of winter operations in the past winter and their JFK staffs are not always the friendliest, but in terms of US domestic flights, JetBlue is just about as good as it gets these days, especially in economy. When JetBlue announces the introduction of a premium product on its premium transcontinental market between JFK and LAX/SFO, I am really curious on whether JetBlue can pull off a major task without devaluing its coach product. When Mint was announced and put on sale, I could not help to book a flight on the inaugural service. Ideally, I would love to fly from JFK to LAX, but it was sold out within a few hours, and I was lucky to be able to grab a seat on the inaugural LAX to JFK – not to mention one of the suites. The schedule was a bit rush, as I literally just did the American Airlines inaugural DFW to HKG service. However I just managed to rush back to LA on Saturday night and got a good 24 hours rest before the late afternoon inaugural from LAX. My first impression of Mint is positive, and the Mint-configured A321 is just amazing. Mint is surely a work-in-progress but it definitely shows plenty of potentials. Its new core cabin looks smart and the new inflight marketplace will definitely set JetBlue’s coach product apart from other airlines’ transcontinental coach products. However, if you are expecting flagship American Airlines service, Mint is definitely not it, but for $599 one way, the product is more than adequate. My comments are based on the fact that JetBlue is still somewhat structured as a low-cost airline, not the traditional airline! When you read it, please keep in mind that some of the items might not be okay if I am paying $1100 one way. If JetBlue is reading it, please keep that perspective – a low cost airline premium product that is selling at $599 one way, and the more you raises the price, my expectation will be different. For those who don’t want to read a long report, here is the link to the photo album. There are many pictures but you can zoom into the one you like!

Photo album link:
    http://s1213.photobucket.com/user/Ca...AXJFK06152014J

Flight information:
    June 15, 2014
    B6 324 LAX-JFK Lv1347 Arr2220

June 17, 2014
    B6 223 JFK-LAX Lv0930 Arr1236

JetBlue’s A321-200 Sharklet, N923JB “It’s Mint to Be” flew both flights. N934JB is the second mint-configured plane and has been parking outside the JetBlue hangar, but I believe N923JB is the only Mint A321 being used now. N923JB was delivered to JetBlue on February 21, 2014. Maybe someone at JetBlue can answer my question regarding a spare mint A321 for now, and when the second Mint A321 will be ready. With only one daily rotation between LAX and JFK, one plane is fine and N923JB should be able to handle the daily roundtrip till July.

Pictures of the plane:
    N923JB at LAX – poor shot due to location of Gate 33B

N923JB at JFK – better but sunlight was still not in my best advantage

Let start from the ground service! Let’s be honest that you can’t really expect JetBlue to offer a lounge especially the price that it is charging. I can use my priority pass to access Virgin America’s Loft anyway. However LAX’s Terminal Three has definitely seen its better days, and JetBlue is given some rather undesirable gates. JetBlue has done some touchups by adding electrical outlet stations, but Terminal Three is just not a pleasant terminal to travel to and from. JFK’s Terminal Five is of course on the other end of the spectrum, as it is a really nice terminal with high ceilings, lots of natural lights, and many eateries. It is a beauty.

I presume JetBlue will receive a few more gates soon in LAX, as its soon expanded Mint schedule will require a few more gates. For now, the sole A321 is using mostly gate 33B at LAX for now.

Given the tiny check-in space that JetBlue has, I am glad that they manage to squeeze out a Mint/Mosaic check-in lane with a greeter making sure passengers using the right lane. I felt that JetBlue provides a bit extra training for their priority agents or simply ask them to be nicer. Most of the agents tried to engage you in a bit of small talk and the message is definitely to be more personal, which is appreciated. If you check in bags, they will be tagged with a green colored priority tag. As a Mint passenger, you will also get “Even More Speed,” so Mint passes the basic ground tests – priority check-in, baggage handling, and security line.

LAX Mosaic/Mint lane:

JFK of course has ample of spaces and Mint passengers are now simply invited to join the Mosaic lane for check-in. The mint logo is added to the signage now. With only one daily flight, the lane was not too busy and two agents were assigned to handling the priority check-in and taking extra passengers from the full service line, when there is no one at the priority lane. When Christina, the check-in agent, spotted me at the priority lane, she immediately waved me over. I had a nice chat with her, who was on one of those test flights for Mint (station test flights). I had to kindly remind her about the priority tag but everyone was new to the service. Just like a typical JetBlue’s JFK experience, you have to roll your bag to the baggage belt and drop them off yourself. It will be nice if JetBlue can make one of the porters stationed close to the priority lane and it will make the check-in experience more premium.

JFK Mosaic/Mint lane:

Birch Box Promotion at JFK T-5

Priority security aka “Even More Speed” was available for all mint passengers, but as a TSA Pre-check candidate, I have priority access anyway. However, LAX’s Terminal Three was somewhat crowded and they were doing flow control even for the priority lane. So you need to allow a bit more time, especially in the early morning and afternoon rush periods if you are traveling from LAX.

Lounge access:
    None – but JetBlue has a PAID lounge called Airspace JFK located near gate 24/25. You can get free entry as an AMEX Platinum or Centurion member plus $10 dining credits. The only lounge at LAX T-3 is the Loft by Virgin America. You can receive free access if you have Priority Pass or Lounge Club membership.

Inaugural ceremony LAX
    To my surprise, JetBlue had a little ceremony in gate 33B. The agents were guarding these cupcakes like high security items, but I felt that they passed them out too closed towards the boarding time. Anyway, it was still a nice gesture. Rachel McCarthy, the vice president of Inflight Experience, was present during the cutting ceremony and she was onboard on both inaugural flights, and thanked passengers towards the end of the flight.

Boarding:
    Unlike other JetBlue flights, boarding began a bit earlier for these A321 flights, especially they have to use door one. They start 40 minutes prior to takeoff. JetBlue has slightly updated its boarding procedures:
    1. Passengers required extra help in boarding
    2. Mint and Mosaic and Even More Speed passengers
    3. Families boarding
    4. Boarding according to rows

However they still have not set up a separate boarding lane, which is definitely needed especially in crowded spaces at LAX. It is easy to set up and you basically just need some new Mint/Mosaic signs.

So much excitement boarding the flight

Once I stepped on board the flight, the Mint F/As were there to greet passengers, and on the outbound flight, Michael and Jennel were there getting ready! Their smiles were good omen for the wonderful flight to come!

Cabin shot:
    Of course the plane still has that new car smell and the new interior looks impressive. The Mint cabin looks smart
    Here are some shots of the Mint cabin:

Comment

I had also taken advantage of the slowness of boarding and took a few pictures of the CORE cabin, aka economy class. I immediately notice the adjustable headrest, and will review its core product when I fly it next Wednesday.

My seat 4A from LAX to JFK

My seat 2A from JFK to LAX

Comment

At each seat, there is a welcome card signed by the F/As, as well as a pair of headset, a snooze kit (same as those passed out in coach on redeye flights), a pillow, and a duvet blanket.

Zack & Sandra on the return

Detailed look into the new center/solo “suites”
        Right side – there is a big cabinet that can hold a laptop and some small gadgets. There are two smaller storage pockets – one for headsets and one for cell phone. There is also a personal lamp, as well as a bottle water holder. Full sized bottled waters are provided in Mint.

On the side panel, there is a seat control panel, as well as a covered entertainment control headset. No touch screen yet!

Comment

Magazine pocket – no inflight magazine and safety card and “FLYFI” instruction card

The Suite has this unique sliding door, but if you expect a fully enclosed suite like Emirates or Singapore Airlines, it is not like that at all. It is more like a gimmick to be honest and I personally care less about the sliding doors. I am actually concerned on how these doors will be maintained down the road, when the planes were used heavily. You can possibly tell from the pictures that anyone can look into the suites from outside, but the only good thing is that you will not stare into anyone when you are in a full flat position sleeping. You feel you have a bit more privacy.

Tray Table – nicely stored on the side – and they are swiveling. It is a nice design and does not take up too much space!

On the left side, there are the promised double power outlets!

Another cool feature of the seats (every seat has this button!) – service button.

If you want service, you can press the button and the F/A will wake you up for any meal/snack service. If you don’t want service, just keep it off and the F/A will not wake you up!

Comment

Personal TV was on front, and there was another literature pocket below the TV

Shoe storage on the left side of the TV

Small space for feet – well the space is not as bad Delta’s Boeing 767-400ERs or SN Brussels Airlines’ Airbus A330-200s, but you possibly want to remove your shoes before doing the lie-flat positions.

Welcome Service!
            JetBlue has a dedicated team of F/As that will serve Mint, and it is evidenced that personalized service will be their major emphasis. There are two F/As that will serve the Mint cabin, and for the initial period, there will be a third F/A helping out in the mint cabin. For core, there will be two F/As, and since I have yet to fly the new core product, I am not sure how having only two F/As serving Y will affect the service. I will report back next week! For the outbound flight, Michael was serving my section, and on the return, Zack was serving my section. The second F/A was Jennel, and on the return, Sandra was the second F/A with Jeffrey as the third helper. Jeffrey was the Mint F/A on the inaugural flight from JFK to LAX. The F/As will do two rounds of service prior to takeoff, which is a struggle with boarding going on. Each F/A is assigned to half of the cabin, and both Michael and Zeke did a personal welcome first, and I was addressed by my names. They immediately offered to hang jacket, helped with carryon, as there would be no under-seat storage on all mint seats, and asked if I wanted my mint lemonade cocktail with or without vodka. Menus were then offered together with the mint cocktail. The F/As made an effort to remind passengers that the menus are created by Saxon + Parole, a restaurant in East Village, NYC, and you can choose three out of five of the tapas dishes. The service was personal and warm. Of course they are new to the job and are obviously excited about this premium product. The mint lemonade cocktail was delicious and served in plastic, but at least looked fancy!

Menu

Rachel McCarthy did a welcome message at LAX before door was closed!

Flight information:
            Both flights took off on time and arrived early. From LAX to JFK, flying time was four hours and fifty-one minutes, and from JFK to LAX, flying time was five hours and twenty-three minutes. We were blessed with good wind conditions and both airports did not experience congestions and weather problems on both days. I almost felt that the flight was too short to enjoy all the amenities!

Shortly after takeoff at LAX – just a beautiful day here in LA

Service:
            After we passed 10,000feet, the Mint F/As made another personal introduction and asking each passenger if they need them to retrieve their bags from the overhead bins, which were a nice gesture, and also to introduce the seats to each passenger, and telling them about the functions of the seats, as well as how to use the “service” button. They are very proud of JetBlue and “Mint,” and you can feel their enthusiasms. The real test will be in six months, if this enthusiasm can sustain. But for now, there is nothing you can critique on the service, which is friendly and genuine. After that introduction, there was a hot towel service, and then beverage orders were taken. Here is the full beverage list!

Red, whites & JetBlue
            Wines on this menu are carefully selected by Josh Wesson, our award-winning sommelier. This season’s selection showcases a variety of West Coast favorites and will impress even the pickiest of palates. Whether you’re a fan of deeply flavored red or cool, crisp whites, we’re certain you’ll be grapeful for each delicious sip.

White Wine
            Joel Gott Pinot Gris, 2013, Wilamette valley, OR
            A perfectly balanced Pinto Grits that punches above its weight

Honig Sauvignon Blanc, 2013, Napa Valley, CA
            A crisp, clean, relentlessly refreshing Sauvignon Blanc

Red Wine
            Meomi Pinot Noir, 2012, North and Central Coasts, CA
            A stylish, silky and deeply flavored Pinot Noir

Qupe Syrah, 2012, Central Coast, CA
            A suave and subtly spiced Syrah

Sparkling Wine
            Argyle Brut, Wilamette Valley, OR
            A sophisticated and supremely elegant sparkling wine

Liquor
            Bacardi Rum
            Bombay Sapphire Gin
            Dewar’s White Label Scotch Whisky
            Finlandia Vodka
            Jack Daniel’s Whisky

Beer
            Blue Moon
            Brooklyn Brewery Summer Ale
            Bud Light
            Corona Extra
            Heineken
            Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Coffees & Teas
            Dunkin’ Donut Coffee Original & Decaf
            Rishi Tea Flavors: Chamomile Medley, Early Grey, Jasmine Green, Peppermint Rooibos

For the outbound flight from JFK to LAX, I went with Coke Zero, and I was offered a lime garnish!

An amuse bouche was offered at the same time! The chilled carrot & ginger soup with marshmallow tasted excellent and the marshmallow added a nice texture to the thick cold soup.

More Mint Lemonade Vodka Cocktail – served in a proper glass and I could drink this all day long.

From LAX to JFK, I asked for an OJ and a cup of peppermint rooibos tea. I love the extra container for used tea bags, and JetBlue definitely pays attention to these small details, considered most US airlines just throw you a plastic cup.

Comment

Food:
              After the beverage service, entrée orders were then taken, and you can choose three out of the five items. As expected there was no linen service and a small piece of paper was placed on the tray. Honestly it looks cute, but serves zero function. The meal is served on a tray anyway and the tray is larger than the placemat. For the dessert tray, which is smaller, it makes the tray look cuter! But it really serves no purpose, so it might be better to go without! Linen is expensive so I can live without, especially if it will increase the costs significantly.

Here is the lunch menu:
              Eastbound LAX to JFK
              June/July Menu from Saxon + Parole

Welcome Taste
              Its app-y hour!
              Chilled carrot & ginger soup
              With cilantro & a spicy marshmallow
              *Signature Saxon + Parole dish

Delish Dishes
              Step up to the plaste(s) & choose three. Please note: The first two dishes are served cold.

A cold olive baguette was served!

Portobello mushroom mousse
              With truffles, whiskey jelly & crostini

Corn custard & poached lobster
              With corn salad & pickled chili peppers
              This is definitely my favorite dish out of the three tapas that I have selected.

Roasted Atlantic Cod
              In a tomato-caper broth with white beans & fennel

Ribeye & fingerling potatoes
              With caramelized mushrooms & a balsamic-ginger reduction

Fontina-stuffed gnocchi
              With creamed leeks & black truffle

Plastic salt & pepper shakers with butter

Sweet Bites
              Don’t desert dessert!

Seasonal Fruit Salad

I love this fruit salad and some of the best fruit plate featured in 35,000feet.

Comment

Organic mint chocolate chip ice cream
                Blue Marble Ice Cream, Brooklyn, New York

Cute dessert sized utensils

Return flight from JFK to LAX
                Same procedures – beverage & amuse bouche, and then entrée with bread, and then dessert with hot beverage

Welcome Taste
                Its app-y hour!
                Toasted brioche
                With peppers, cucumbers, & goat cheese

Delish Dishes
                Step up to the plaste(s) & choose three. Please note: The first two dishes are served cold.

Classic Muesli
                Mixed with Greek yogurt, fruit & toasted coconut

Watermelon Salad
                With feta, basil, & toasted pumpkin seeds
                *Signature Saxon + Parole Dish

Creamy Scrambled Eggs
                Served with slab bacon, ratatouille, & grilled sourdough

Cheese & chive biscuit sandwich
                With pork sausage, scrambled eggs & pimento cheese
                *Signature Saxon + Parole Dish
                Zack highly recommended this dish, which was not disappointing.

Buttery French Toast
                With figs, toasted pecans & syrups

Unfortunately another cold croissant was served with the main entrée tray! JetBlue really needs to warm your breads!

Sweet Bites
                Don’t desert dessert!

Seasonal Fruit Salad

Comment

Lemon honey Sorbet
                  Blue Marble Ice Cream, Brooklyn, New York

The quality of the food was really good and Saxon+Parole did a pretty good job introducing some interesting dishes. I was not expecting a multiple course meal based on the price JetBlue is charging, and compared to other four airlines flying this route with a premium cabin, Delta is still my number one choice for catering, as Michael Chiarello is an excellent chef and is obviously aware of the challenging conditions serving food at 34,000feet. Delta also has the more extravagant breakfast service too. But JetBlue’s food is just as good as, if not better, than American Airlines’ and United Airlines’ boring selections, as well as Virgin America’s lack of choice and sometimes a bit too innovative food choices.

In paper, three out of five tapas is a good idea but in reality, some of the hot dishes get cold faster. Airlines do three courses because it is a bit easier to control the temperature, and I cannot accept cold bread rolls in premium cabin. The oven looks smaller than other airlines, so it might be difficult to serve warmed rolls too. However if they can’t warm the breads, I don’t see the point of serving them. Cold bread rolls are very chewy especially at 30,000feet, unless they use those special packaging used by ANA or JAL. For the lunch menu on the return, it will be nice to see two cold dishes that offer different texture. Both the mushroom terrine and lobster custard are mousse like, and are very heavy. It might be better to serve one mousse like cold dish, and maybe a more proper salad for the second cold dish choice. Anyway, the quantity might look rather small, but in reality, it is pretty filling. The dessert tray is impressive but hopefully they will introduce cake/pastry type of dessert during the winter months. But definitely keep that fruit salad – so delicious. There are still a few things that JetBlue can improve without breaking the bank. Warming breads will be a nice touch, and I hope they will introduce selections from bakery and restaurants from San Francisco and Los Angeles in the future too. I love the concept of using products from local restaurant and stores, and keep it up. For those who are curious, JetBlue is actually catering 16 dishes of each dish now, so no one should be disappointed that their selections are not available. However I cannot foresee that JetBlue will continue doing it for long, but the airline needs to find out what is popular and what is not popular, and what works and what does not work at 34,000feet. It will be nice to provide pre-order selection in the future, but as long as they are keeping the printed menus, I am happy.

Bircher Box amenity kit was passed out after the main meal service! The F/A once again took the time explaining what Bircher Box is, which is a company selling these beauty and cosmetic products. It is an online service. The samples are actually quite unique and definitely not some cheap stuff used in many other airlines’ amenity kits. Some people don’t like the box design, but it has a Mint string bag once you open the box. It is okay.

Full-sized bottled water – Dasani is still JetBlue’s preferred brand.

Now let examine the seats in detail!
                  Seat in takeoff and landing position:

Seat in preset relax position:

Seat in full flat position
                  The seats will go full flat with no sliding!

Comment

Seat in full flat position with the new mint pillow and blanket

The new updated in-flight entertainment system: there is no touch-screen function, although JetBlue is planning it in the near future. The control panel is a bit slow in response rate, but acceptable. I just hope that JetBlue can provide a guide telling people functions of the buttons. On the plus side, JetBlue has upgraded the entertainment system of the whole plane (both Mint and Core) with 200+ channels of Direct TV, Sirrius XM with an ATC channel to be activated in a future date, JetBlue Plus featureing short pre-recorded television programs, and JetBlue Features, which is basically the movie channels, as well as a Map Channel, which does not feature any major upgrades from the current version seen on the newer A320s and E190s. Anyway with FLY-FI, I can track my flight anyway using flightradar24, and I sort of wish that JetBlue will use the same Google maps used on Virgin America’s “RED”.

However the biggest problem with the entertainment system is not the upgraded programs, but the quality of the headsets! This pair of headsets is truly the most uncomfortable pair you can find anywhere. You have to wear them by hanging them on the back of your head. My English is not good enough to explain it and hopefully some of you, who used them, can do a better job. They are tight and you cannot adjust it, and it gets really uncomfortable after 30 minutes. Plus it is not noise canceling! I know it is an expensive item to provide, but maybe JetBlue can find a cheaper version or work with some companies, who can promote their noise-canceling headsets on letting passengers trying them out on these long transcontinental markets.

FLY-FI is available, and in the beta stage, there are two different options: One is free and the speed is pretty good. I used what’s app with no issues, sending images, checking emails, tracking my flights, and I can use all the social media pages with no issues – reading, tweeting, and uploading pictures. The other option is a super fast FLY-FI Fast that costs $9 per hour, and you can watch youtube and it is pretty amazing. This is the best in-flight Internet to date.

Another brilliant invention of the Mint configured A321 is the “In-flight Marketplace,” which features a mini fridge filled with soft drinks and mini bottled waters, and yes they are chilled. There are snack cabinets on the side cabinets providing unlimited serving of all the current snacks offered at JetBlue. Coach service honestly cannot be any better than this marketplace.

Still closed – but the lights work better for photos

The marketplace will open after first service is completed in coach/core. The F/A will make an announcement.

Amazing fridge – not only a cabinet, but a real refrigerator keeping drinks chilled! What more can you ask for in domestic coach product these days!

Comment

Snacks

Honestly, services on both flights were superb and the F/As never stopped asking passengers if they need more beverages. They passed an important test that applies to every airline in the world. They never removed a glass or cup without asking if you needed something else. The most important thing is their ability to keep up this service in three or six months or even a year after this soft launch.

At about an hour and fifteen minute prior to arrival, the F/As came around with a second service started with another round of hot towels first. Then the F/As did a beverage service and passed out the updated snack basket. Here was the description: To me, it was just the usual JetBlue snack plus fresh fruits, which included apples, oranges, and bananas. It was quickly followed by the new parting gift of nice bakery items by Mah-Ze-Dahr Bakery in New York City. The F/As once again explained which bakery the pastries were from, and I really give JetBlue credits for using local bakery for these creative parting gifts.

24/7 Snacks
                      They’re lip-snacking good.

Fresh Whole Fruit
                      Signature JetBlue Snacks

When you re-treat
                      An edible parting gift – worth the wait!
                      Freshly baked pastries
                      Mah-Ze-Dahr Bakery, A Colicchio Discovery, New York, New York

Arrival into JFK
                      Special mint-engraved gift for Mint passengers

Arriving into LA

Baggage delivery
                      Some of the agents might be forgetful but if you are flying Mint, please make sure that they attached this green tag to your luggage. My plane at JFK parked at gate 19 at 9:59pm, and my baggage was already in the baggage claim by 10:10pm. I was shocked on how this was even remotely possible.

The situation in LA was less impressive, but LAX was not its hub and Terminal Three was just not the most efficient place in LAX. But all the priority tag baggage came out first, and the plane was parked at gate 33B at 12:20pm, and baggage started to come out at 12:34pm. It was really not bad at all. If JetBlue kept up this delivery speed, I would not hesitate to check in baggage in the future or make sure I fly JetBlue if I need to check in bags. Other than Virgin America, American, Delta, and United have been very inconsistent with baggage delivery, and American Airlines is particularly bad in JFK with waiting time up to 30 minutes. I really give JetBlue credits for that amazing baggage delivery speed in JFK, and let hope it will be able to maintain it in the future when you have a full schedule of ten to twelve daily Mint flights!

Mileage Accural
                      TrueBlue is honestly the weakest part of the overall JetBlue experience and I even rank it below Sky Pesos (Delta’s Sky Miles), and there is no bonus points given on Mint flights. JetBlue will give double TrueBlue points beginning July till September 30, but there is no long-term bonus. Given the lack of redemption partners and high price for many awards, I think JetBlue needs to give bonus points, and most importantly, some bonus elite-qualifying points. TrueBlue Mosaic program is not the world’s best elite program, so JetBlue needs to give some incentives for people to make an effort to get Mosaic. However I don’t want any upgrade programs because the product is not expensive now and I don’t want the product to get watered down, especially it is not a fancy product to begin with. If the sales are not going too strong, just do a few $499 promotions. If upgrades are inevitable, please then do a cash upgrade like Virgin America and make sure those cash will count towards TrueBlue points, which is one weak point on Virgin America’s current cash upgrade program. Give Mosaic an earlier upgrade window too, but let just try not to do upgrades now!

In conclusion, I am impressed with JetBlue’s Mint, especially the price that it is charging now. With $599 one way, JetBlue can really capture a particular market for the upper middle class sector. People can afford a fancy flight once a while without breaking the bank. The solo suites are nice but I am not sure if JetBlue can install a high surcharge on them, especially the small space for the feet. It might be better to keep it as first come, first serve basis. The width is the same on the suites, as the regular seats. To me the most urgent issue is the poor headset quality and the lack of TrueBlue bonus points by flying Mint. I almost want JetBlue to just give Mint passengers the headsets that they are selling at the gates now, and if you don’t want to pay for noise-canceling, that is fine with me, but at least give a pair of comfortable headsets that have been proven to work. From LAX to JFK, the F/As made a fuss on collecting headsets before landing, and I don’t think anyone in the right mind will take them home. For the big 3, I don’t think Mint will steal too many passengers from them, especially they still have some lucrative contracts with corporations and involve worldwide destinations, and JetBlue will never provide those Five Star Concierge service for some high profile VIP passengers, who need personal escorts and fancy lounges. However Virgin America should be concerned because I don’t think anyone in the right mind will spend $1000+ on a slightly tiring first class product with inconsistent service. The improvement that was installed in the spring is not sufficient for Virgin America. I can see a price war between JetBlue and Virgin America, once Mint is firmly flown on every JetBlue LAX/SFO to JFK flights. For frequent AA/DL/UA flyers, especially corporate flyers that need lounges & fancier meals, JetBlue’s “Mint” might not be enough for them and I don’t think JetBlue is aiming for them. But for cost conscious passengers, this product can be good and successful. I think the real test for Mint is in six months. These seats are fancy but maintenance will be tricky. Given how tiring JetBlue’s coach products quickly get on some of these A320s, it is a legitimate concern especially some of the components are a bit on the light weight side. JetBlue has its share of good and bad F/As and can F/As maintain that enthusiasm down the road? Some premium passengers are even more demanding than what JetBlue F/As might be used to. JetBlue should send more ‘undercover” staffs in monitoring the service, or else it will fall into the inconsistent wagon that Virgin America suffers now. I have originally purchased one more Mint flight on June 30, but since I want to fly the People Express inaugural that same day, I will move that flight to October and that will give me a real telling no how Mint can proceed. Anyway I just want to thank Michael, Jennel, Zeke, Sandra, Jeffrey, and Marc for a wonderful JetBlue experience!

Comment

PS. I will fly its core product next week and will just add a small section to this trip report next week.

My seat next Wednesday, 6A

Comment

Great report. Almost booked one some months ago for next week LAX-JFK, but I needed the BA tier points so like a cheap whore I went and bought an AA SJU run instead

Comment

Thanks, Carfield. for the TR. I'm most impressed by JetBlue; wished it flew on the routes that I normally take in the US.

Comment

Very nice report, Carfield! I have a TR of UA's premium service JFK-SFO coming up. I was quite impressed with UA's p.s., but the JetBlue Mint offering looks even more impressive!

Comment

Working...
                              X