To Taipei on Cathay/Dragonair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Taipei on Cathay/Dragonair

In mid November, me and my partner went on a short 5D/4N trip to Taipei over the weekend for some shopping and feasting at the Taiwan famous night markets. About a month before the trip, I was checking for reasonably priced tickets but all airlines with nonstop SIN-TPE flights were offering fares at quite high prices, ranging from almost S$500 on Scoot and flying at ungodly hours, around S$600 on Jetstar or Tiger with no frills included, S$700 on Eva or CI, to almost a ridiculous S$1000 on SQ! Thus it was a surprise when searching for one-stop flights, I discovered that CX was offering flights for less than S$500 to TPE via HKG with various flight timings! VN was also offering rather low fares of less than S$450 via SGN/HAN but their return timings are not too good. Thus, I booked ourselves on CX (including a sector on KA) with the flights below. Departure from Singapore was rather late at noon as it was one of the flights offering low fares, other than the very early 0650am and late evening departures.

The flights would have allowed me to try all the 3 generations of CX economy seats (old economy on B772, non-reclinable economy on B744 and new economy on B773ER). However due to some flight changes because of delays, I missed out the chance to try the infamous uncomfortable seats on the B744.

Check-in was done online 48hrs prior to departure and our departure flight was very full! It ended up being over-booked on the departure day. On the departure day, we dropped our bags at Changi Terminal 1 at the CX counters. There was a rather long queue for check-in even for bag drops as check-in was being performed for our flight as well as the flight to BKK. However the queue moved rather fast and we were very soon issued boarding passes for the flight as well as the connecting KA flight by a friendly agent. He also commented that almost all CX flights out of SIN today was full or overbooked! Guess CX has really garnered a large chunk of SIN-HKG/via HKG traffic!

Boarding passes issued.

Through immigration without any frills and I went to get some light bites. Our plane has just arrived and parked beside an EVA Air B773ER.

14 November 2013
    Cathay Pacific
    CX 690
    Singapore (SIN) - Hong Kong (HKG)
    B777-200
    B-HND
    Economy Class

Proceeded to the gate D32 25min prior to departure and there was still a rather long queue of pax undergoing security screening. The gatehold room was totally full!

B-HND, a B777-200 delivered to CX in 1996 (more than 17yrs of age), would be operating the flight today.

Boarding soon started, first by pax needing assistance, followed by premium/status/Marco Polo Club passengers. Judging by the number of pax boarding during the initial call, almost 1/3 of the pax were with some status on CX or Oneworld! This was followed by economy by rows from the rear. We were seated right at the back at one of the 2-seaters section, we boarded soon after.

Went through economy cabin right to the rear of the aircraft. Crew were greeting pax and assisting with luggage.

My past and future travels

My Travel Map

There were no pillows nor blankets pre-set on the seats. However these were available upon request, even though we helped ourselves to the pillows and blankets which were stored in the overhead bins above us and the space behind our seats at the last row. However, the crew did came down the aisle offering blankets after most pax were settled in.

View out of the window.

Welcome aboard!

First generation 6-inch PTVs with no AVOD and not so fantastic seat pitch.

Seatback (from later in flight).

Seat recline was quite good though, so much so that if the passenger in front fully reclines, there would be a bit of problem watching the PTV (which is un-adjustable) unless one also reclines fully.

Boarding in progress. However I must admit that the cabin of this "antiqued" B772 is kept very clean and well-maintained. There is no way one would realize that this is a 17yrs old plane!

Boarding almost done while waiting for the last few pax to trickle in. Flight time was announced to be 3h15m.

Doors closed about 10min behind STD. A rather boring animated safety video was played.

Taxi to the runway. A SQ B772 was also parked right at the end of T1.

Scoot B772, SQ A345 and 2x AK A320s at the remote stands.

Another SQ B772 beside while we were holding for takeoff.

Taxi onto Rwy20C and held for a while.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWq1Wx5oy9s

And then we were gone, about 20min behind schedule.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aUAB5sSLX8

My Travel Map

Comment

Climbing away from Changi.

Made a left turn towards the north over Peninsular Malaysia.

Seatbelt signs switched off and service announcement was made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqNf1M5LqQg

Out over the South China Sea, where we would remain while on course to Hong Kong.

A look at the stuff in the seat pocket. Inflight magazine, safety card, duty free magazine, airsick bag and a pair of headphones.

First service was the distribution of wet towelettes. Inflight entertainment controls were of the old school press-buttons type on the armrests.

We started watching an animation film, "Turbo". All films were run on loop istead of AVOD. Screen quality was not too clear and audio remained rather soft even though it was turned on to the max. Reminiscing flying in the '90s.

Shortly after, special meals were distributed and lunch service started. There was no bar service conducted prior to meal service, but I guess at this hour, passengers would rather be served lunch immediately. As the meal service was conducted from the rear of the aircraft towards the front, we were served first.

The very friendly and engaging purser serving us offered a choice of either chicken pasta or fish with rice. We selected one of each. The meal tray also came with a bowl of fruits, warm roll with butter and Haagen Daz ice-cream! I also had a white wine and apple juice to go with the meal.

Fruits and bread roll.

Penne pasta with chicken and peas in tomato based sauce. Tasted alright even though not a too fanciful dish.

Stir-fried fish with egg fried rice. A rather tasty choice, though again a very simple dish. CX seemed to be rather "conservative" with their economy meals.

My Travel Map

Comment

Originally posted by ycp81 View Post

Boarding in progress. However I must admit that the cabin of this "antiqued" B772 is kept very clean and well-maintained. There is no way one would realize that this is a 17yrs old plane!
        Yes, you can from the pathetic "First generation 6-inch PTVs with no AVOD"

And then we were gone, about 20min behind schedule.
        For 1255 departure with 20 min delay is still ok. They have factor this in into flying time (3h55m, instead of only 3h20-3h30 actual flying time to HKG).

I was on SQ866 on Monday, 18NOV, ETD 13:05. We have to wait at the gate for 25 minutes before push back, because the captain said we are no 15 on the queue. Once push back, we have to wait for another 25 min before airborne. End up, we are 15 min behind schedule arriving HKG, despite shorter flying time 3h20m insted of 3h55m in itenerary.

anyway, nice TR!!!
        visit my blog

Comment

Even taking CX650 three times over the past four weekends at 7am, we still needed 25-30 mins before lift-off each time.

Thanks for the TR!

Comment

It's the downside about CX now......old hardware.

As Russia now mulls the possibility of not letting planes that are older than 20yrs fly CX is landing themselves in the same ball park.

Comment

What a shame we didn't meet : I was at the same time in Changi, waiting for my SIN-EWR flight

Thanks for this comprehensive report
              The catering looks yummy

Comment

Flew that exact same aircraft on the same route several years ago. Guess CX's regional Y standards haven't changed much (if at all).

Comment

CX still uses PLASTIC cutlery??

Comment

The flights would have allowed me to try all the 3 generations of CX economy seats (old economy on B772, non-reclinable economy on B744 and new economy on B773ER). However due to some flight changes because of delays, I missed out the chance to try the infamous uncomfortable seats on the B744.
                    Nice TR so far!

I have an upcoming TR on the CX 744 flying SIN-HKG, which was my first encounter with these "infamous" seats. I do agree that these fixed shell Y seats are not very comfortable. More to come on this topic...

Comment

Dessert of Haagen Daz strawberry ice-cream was distributed earlier together with the main course.

Enjoying my ice-cream.

Cleared every single morsel of food!

The purser then came round to clear our trays and offered additional drinks as well. As we wanted some tea, which would be served later, she removed the teacups from our trays and assured that hot tea would be served in a short while. We also had a short chat with her while trays were cleared and commented that this is a really old aircraft. Humorously, she "corrected" us by remarking that the aircraft is not "old", but "classic"! She also mentioned that the flight is totally full in Business and Economy, and even spare crew seats were taken up by crew on staff travel! Now this is a crew with personality!

Shortly after, hot Chinese tea was served. Coffee was offered as well.

Back to our movie after meal service, though it was quite difficult to enjoy the IFE on such a 90's system. After the movie has finished, we were somewhere near Vietnam. More than an hour to go, but too short to complete a second movie. Also encountered some turbulence as well, which prompted the seatbelt signs to be turned on for a while. Nothing too major though.

Experiencing turbulent weather.

Flying into the sunset after across the turbulent zone..

Visit to the lavatory. Other than the necessities, hand lotion and face moisturizer were available.

View of the "classic" (as in the words of the purser) cabin.

Towards the end of the flight, another crew member distributed comment forms and requested us to assist to fill up one of it. A nice CX/KA branded pen was offered as a momento for filling up the form, as well as inflight shopping discount vouchers. We also requested for some playing cards, which were also given to us! Of course, I gave high scores for the cabin crew service, above average for meals, but not so good scores for the cabin interior/seats/IFE, mainly due to the "classic" aircraft used for this flight.

Nice clouds.

My Travel Map

Comment

Pilot came on to announce the start of descend into HKG about 30min prior to arrival. However, cabin crew only prepared the cabin for landing halfway through descent, about 20min before landing. Headsets were collected and cabin was secured.

IFE was switched off but the flight map and connection information was shown all the way till landing.

Descending. Due to heavy traffic, we were also put into a holding pattern.

Approaching Hong Kong.

Flaps and gears down.

We landed on Rwy07L, right on schedule. "Thank you for flying Cathay Pacific, a member of Oneworld Alliance."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKJNeG0ZQCM

Taxi to the gate.

Parked at Gate 47. An Air India B787 was parked 2 gates away!

Our reasonably comfortable and well-padded seats for the flight.

During disembarking.

The "classic" Business Class cabin. Sorry for the blurred image.

Overall it was a rather good flight on CX. Cabin service was good with responsive and friendly crew, and meals are acceptable. The only downside was the "classic" aircraft used which put CX in the second position as compared to their direct competitor, SQ, on the route. However, with CX almost always offer lower fares than SQ, it is still considered value-for-money flying CX.

After disembarkation, we had to proceed to the transfer area flight information display to check on our connecting flight on Dragonair. However, a gate was not yet allocated for the flight.

My Travel Map

Comment

The business class seats look very similar to the Y seats.
                          If you hadn't told me, I might have missed it !

Comment

It seems like I'm one of the very few who prefer the CX (and NH) fixed shell seats. Yes the padding is kinda non-existent, but I can forgive it because having the person in front recline is one of my pet peeves

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                              Even taking CX650 three times over the past four weekends at 7am, we still needed 25-30 mins before lift-off each time.

Thanks for the TR!
                              seems 7-8am and 12pm - 2pm are the busiest hours in SIN. Let me observe what happen at my 9:30am flight next Tue. If I remember last time, we did not wait so long compare to 13:05 flight
                              visit my blog

Comment

Working...
                              X