JetBlue "Mint" Inaugural - LAX-JFK-LAX June 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updated on the economy service

The new “Core” is great, but a bad “Even More Speed” seat…
    As promised, here is a brief report on the new coach experiences on the Mint-configured A321, which is known as the “Core” experiences! In general, nothing really changed in the transcontinental service in the back, and compared to other competitors, JetBlue is really the best out of all four airlines flying between LAX and JFK. One can argue Delta is offering free sandwich wraps and ice cream bars in economy comfort, but for the regular economy cabin, there are really nothing much in offer, other than the possibility of buying a warmed meal. However the new Core service was not perfect and the seat map of the Mint configured A321s are really misleading, and despite row 18 is an exit row, it is not the same as the typical over-wing A320 windows that really don’t affect your space. I was not even going to say much but the pictures would possibly tell you the whole story on why I was very upset about the flight.

June 25, 2014
    B6 324 LAX-JFK Lv1325 Arr2158 Airbus A321-200Sharklet N923JB “It’s Mint to Be” Prism Livery

Let see how things run after the Mint service has started for a week, and today was definitely a test, as east coast faced some weather disruption. Boston was more affected, as its 11:15pm had a two hours ground delay. New York JFK was relatively less affected, but our flying time of five hours and thirty-six minutes was longer than normal, as we need to divert around weather.

Boarding went smooth and the inbound flight arrived early, which allowed us to board at 12:50pm. There were three gate agents so things ran smoothly. The order was the same: Wheelchair → Mint/Mosaic → Even More Speed/Space → Pre-board (families) → Regular boarding by rows. Door was closed at 1:20pm. However we were placed on a ground hold for thirty minutes. We finally took off at 2:06pm from R/W24L.

There were three F/As in the Core cabin – Jason and Lisa were the main F/As, and Chad was third F/A helping in both Mint and Core for the initial period. The service was definitely slower than other A320 flights, so I am sort of worried when the Core cabin only had two F/As. But then it is a transcontinental flight and there are plenty of times. The service procedure began with selling pillows/blankets/headsets at 2:28pm. But unlike other flights, buy on board food was not offered till Lisa and Jason took beverage order at 2:47pm. Buy on board food orders were taken at the same time and I got my turkey croissant. Then Lisa and Jason passed out the ordered meals and took payments, and the actual beverage service was delivered on 3:24pm. Chad then came around with snack basket at 3:30pm.

Inflight marketplace was opened after service wrapped up in Core, and I observed that the F/As replenished the markeplace a few times. But nobody was raiding them, but bottled waters and Cokes were popular. Throughout the flights, the F/As came around frequently and many passengers were buying alcohols. The three F/As were friendly and the service was top notch.

Second service began at 6:12pmPST/9:12pmEST, and there was a “hot towel” (well more like wetnap) service after the beverage service was completed. Previously hot towels were only offered on the redeye flights. It is a unique Mint service.

Descent began at 10:12pm EST, and we landed on R/W22L at 10:42pm. Despite stopping closed to gate 24, we were not towed into the gate till 11:07pm.

In conclusion, the new Mint-configured A321 really put JetBlue on a higher standard service than other airlines. Its new entertainment system, and Fly-Fi are nice additions, and power outlets are nice. However, JetBlue should not label Row 18 as an Even More Space seat, as the exit door really intruded into the space of the window passengers. The passenger on 18F was very upset too, as the door really reduced our shoulder room. If you are flying regular economy seat, please avoid row 17, as the window seat will face the same issues. I hope you enjoy this JetBlue Mint series, and the next report will be on JetBlue’s inaugural flight to Hyannis/Cape Cod on June 26.

Here are the pictures:
    More cabin pictures of the new “Core” seats

My original seat 6ABC

Even more space

Even more space – Row 19

Regular seat

Horrible Row 17

Horrible 18EF on Even More Space cabin

The shock of my day – 18ABC

Aft Core cabin

Comment

Cabin shot from back to front

Why Row 18 was bad!

Door blocking space

Limited shoulder room

Limited under seat storage

Features of seats:
      Adjustable headrest

Power outlet

Redesigned seat pocket

Pocket for bottled water – nice design

View from the small porthole on the A321 over-wing door

Comment

My choice of Buy On Board Food – Turkey croissant with fruit salad

Yes JetBlue offers Pineapple Juice

Snacks – Blue Chips and Popcorner Chips

In-flight Marketplace

Fridge made by BE Aerospace

Thanks for reading trip report!

Carfield

Comment

Thanks for sharing. Wow row 18 is really rather poor....

Comment

Originally posted by Carfield View Post
            As promised, here is a brief report

Thanks for your TR

Comment

Very impressive! Definitely a great transcon option - and by all accounts, very competitively priced too. Thanks for sharing.
              All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Working...
              X