Sheraton Melbourne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sheraton Melbourne

A new Sheraton opened in Melbourne earlier this year (circa April I think). For SPG die hards, this makes a pretty solid and often cheaper alternative to the Westin. I prefer the Westin decor and lobby ambience on the whole but that's splitting hairs now. For a circa $50-60 savings a night on rates I've seen, and an apparently more generous upgrade policy (never got anything different at the Westin either as Gold or Plat - have learnt to book bigger rooms as a result), I'm very happy to stay at the Sheraton.

Decor is pretty bog standard for an upscale big chain hotel in its class. Sufficiently contemporary and inoffensive, albeit with very garish carpets in the room. As a Gold member I got upgraded to a Superior Room which was comfortable enough with a very nice bed. 4pm late check out was applied without fuss (was actually automatically registered when I requested for a 4pm check out online I think but thought it best to ask in person anyway just to make sure).

Location wise I prefer the Sheraton to the Westin as a leisure traveller, though both are not far from each other in the grand scheme of things. The Westin has a nicer location for daytime stuff which feels more upmarket, as it has a better proximity to shops on Collins St. The Sheraton is at a section of Little Collins which is pretty dead in the day however it's more buzzy at night with more convenient access to a better selection of laneway bars if delicious craft cocktails and small wine bars are your thing. Loop (super cool rooftop bar) at Meyers Place is practically opposite the hotel, with Madame Brussels on Bourke St just around the corner. Eau de Vie isn't far away either. Then rock on to places up and around Exhibition like 1806, Seamstress, Emerald Peacock, Red Lantern etc. Both hotels are in good proximity to lots of great restaurants; lots of fantastic spots on Flinders Lane are really close to the Sheraton once you take the shortcuts through the office building next to the Sheraton and Collins Place. Finally, Sheraton has slightly better access to good coffee with lots of very nice coffee places within a 50m radius - Little Bean Blue just up the same street, and The Mess Hall and Self-Preservation which are both on Bourke.

If travelling on business, the location preference will probably depend on which end of the CBD you need to be in - Sheraton is at the "Paris end" of the city between Exhibition and Russell Streets whilst Westin has a more central position in the Hoddle Grid (i.e. layout of Melbourne CBD) on the corner of Collins and Swanston Streets.

My only complaint during our stay was that housekeeping did not replenish the bathroom amenities daily, even when the shower gel and shampoo bottles were near empty. I had to request for fresh bottles from guest services. That was irritating and felt 'cheap.'

Some pics of our room:

All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Thanks, KeithMEL!

Always good to have another option in MEL, especially an SPG property.

So far I've mainly stayed at the Hilton South Wharf, Langham or the Grand Hyatt when in MEL.

Will check to see if the Sheraton appears on my online booking portal next time I am there...

Comment

Working...
    X