Finding a hotel in Bali

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding a hotel in Bali

Both searched-threads are outdated (see ** disclaimer below) and in the interest of having a master thread for Bali, similar to the other threads for other cities.

First time ever for me to visit Bali and the time has come for our annual 'visit-somewhere-in-Indonesia' tour.

So, we are flying in to DPS on a Friday afternoon (16:35/19:30) and out on Sunday evening on KLM (20:35/23:05) respectively. One of my usual weekend jaunts.
    Gotta get those Golden Lotus points somehow...

Bearing in mind the lateness of arrival on a Friday night, we probably won't do much on the Friday evening. Probably eat dinner at the hotel or if there's somewhere within close proximity, will do that.

But therein lies the problem: Friday evening. We have no idea where to really stay! We are moving hotels on Saturday morning.

Criteria to consider:
    -Will be commencing my IC RA membership with a 99% likelihood with this stay (success means goodbye Hilton). That means Saturday 8am check-in available to us. We could very likely reach hotel at 8pm, enjoy it a bit, then go sleep and wake up/check-out at 8am.
    -Have top status at SPG and Hilton. Stay/Night credits always welcome.
    -SPG nights always welcome, only have 28/50 thus far.
    -Have booked a St Regis stay on the Saturday as backup in case for whatever reason we decide to ditch the RA membership.
    -We will visit Tanah Lot on the Saturday evening (probably doesn't affect this hotel thread one bit)

Is the Intercontinental too close to DPS airport? I'm aware of at least one IC fan on here who suggests it is better than most HH/Starwood properties on the island, including the Conrad. We love breathtaking views, and perhaps a hotel breakfast with some local options. Having said that, we don't mind a cheap villa either. I'm reluctant to pay two nights at the intended rate for the upgraded suite we're targeting at the IC. So I'd like to swing one night away to HH or SPG.

All help appreciated, thanks!

**Previously Searched Thread Disclaimer: Just thought I'd mention that having searched for existing threads, I've found a thread from 2007 and possibly the next closest thread half-suited to my needs.**

W Seminyak. Party at Kudeta, Potato Head, hu'u...

Comment

How does it compare to other Starwood properties - is it quite noisy in that area? Unlikely we go party, maybe dinner at KDT at most

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
        First time ever for me to visit Bali and the time has come for our annual 'visit-somewhere-in-Indonesia' tour.
        All the travelling you've done around the region, and you've never been to Bali ??.

Criteria to consider:
        -Will be commencing my IC RA membership with a 99% likelihood with this stay (success means goodbye Hilton). That means Saturday 8am check-in available to us. We could very likely reach hotel at 8pm, enjoy it a bit, then go sleep and wake up/check-out at 8am.
        -Have top status at SPG and Hilton. Stay/Night credits always welcome.
        -SPG nights always welcome, only have 28/50 thus far.
        -Have booked a St Regis stay on the Saturday as backup in case for whatever reason we decide to ditch the RA membership.
        -We will visit Tanah Lot on the Saturday evening (probably doesn't affect this hotel thread one bit)

Is the Intercontinental too close to DPS airport? I'm aware of at least one IC fan on here who suggests it is better than most HH/Starwood properties on the island, including the Conrad. We love breathtaking views, and perhaps a hotel breakfast with some local options. Having said that, we don't mind a cheap villa either. I'm reluctant to pay two nights at the intended rate for the upgraded suite we're targeting at the IC. So I'd like to swing one night away to HH or SPG.

All help appreciated, thanks!
        demue and Savage25 are regulars at the IC so maybe they could help more with that. I've only eaten there but I wouldn't say it's too close to the airport. Lovely property.

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
        W Seminyak. Party at Kudeta, Potato Head, hu'u...
        That's exactly what we did on our last visit.

If you do stay at the W (which has great ocean views from the higher floors) then it takes about ten minutes to walk all the way around down and up the respective drives/entrances to Potato Head but about 90 seconds via the beach.

How does it compare to other Starwood properties - is it quite noisy in that area? Unlikely we go party, maybe dinner at KDT at most
        The W is fantastic. Not very 'Balinese' for sure, but a fab property in a great location. The area doesn't affect the noise as it is at the end of a long drive so far away from the road. There is a little bit of noise from Woo Bar but it's not overwhelming. Ask for a room at the far right hand end of the building to minimise it. We had a Villa so heard nothing but my sister and mother had an ocean view room and said it was fine.

I've never stayed at the St Regis but again have eaten there and it's a lovely place. It is in Nusa Dua though where there is not much to do outside the properties aside from Bumbu Bali which I would highly recommend if you do stay down there. I've stayed at the Sheraton Laguna a couple of times and it's pretty decent. There is also the Westin next door. The Conrad is also down in Nusa Dua and I do like the Conrad the most of all the Nusa Dua properties I've stayed in. The Conrad is quite close to Bumbu Bali.

Other properties I've stayed in are the old RC at Jimbaran which we liked, it's now called the Ayana. The old Bali Hyatt at Sanur is in desperate need of a room refurb (and closes in a few months for one) but we love the lounge there at ground level in the gardens. I hope they don't get rid of the lounge during the refurb.

Have you considered Ubud ?. Probably not got time on this trip but it's great up there and I would highly recommend the Four Seasons. There was supposed to be a Conrad opening up there but not sure how that's going
        Last edited by MAN Flyer; 22 August 2013, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
          All the travelling you've done around the region, and you've never been to Bali ??.
          I know! Well... when it comes to island getaways I'm more inclined to pic far-flung places like... I dunno, Iceland or something...
          demue and Savage25 are regulars at the IC so maybe they could help more with that. I've only eaten there but I wouldn't say it's too close to the airport. Lovely property.
          Will get in touch somehow...
          That's exactly what we did on our last visit.
          No idea but is KDT better suited for the missus or Potato Head?
          If you do stay at the W (which has great ocean views from the higher floors) then it takes about ten minutes to walk all the way around down and up the respective drives/entrances to Potato Head but about 90 seconds via the beach.

The W is fantastic. Not very 'Balinese' for sure, but a fab property in a great location. The area doesn't affect the noise as it is at the end of a long drive so far away from the road. There is a little bit of noise from Woo Bar but it's not overwhelming. Ask for a room at the far right hand end of the building to minimise it. We had a Villa so heard nothing but my sister and mother had an ocean view room and said it was fine.
          Very useful advice. I shall definitely shortlist the W for our 12-14 hour overnighter. Not quite oh-so-local, but oh well.
          I've never stayed at the St Regis but again have eaten there and it's a lovely place. It is in Nusa Dua though where there is not much to do outside the properties aside from Bumbu Bali which I would highly recommend if you do stay down there. I've stayed at the Sheraton Laguna a couple of times and it's pretty decent. There is also the Westin next door. The Conrad is also down in Nusa Dua and I do like the Conrad the most of all the Nusa Dua properties I've stayed in. The Conrad is quite close to Bumbu Bali.
          Noted on the other properties. I've heard ridiculously good things about the St Regis (I believe UMD also did rave about them at some point) which is why it's the backup hotel instead of the IC (which again, I must stress is the main reason for the trip: to activate IC RA status running up to 12 months later which I reckon should be achievable, together with SPG Plat). About the only place I'm rather curious to eat at for 'outside-local' is Bebek Bengil, I'm afraid, for their non-swine delicacies.
          Other properties I've stayed in are the old RC at Jimbaran which we liked, it's now called the Ayana. The old Bali Hyatt at Sanur is in desperate need of a room refurb (and closes in a few months for one) but we love the lounge there at ground level in the gardens. I hope they don't get rid of the lounge during the refurb.

Have you considered Ubud ?. Probably not got time on this trip but it's great up there and I would highly recommend the Four Seasons. There was supposed to be a Conrad opening up there but not sure how that's going
          We will pass on Ubud this time as we're after ocean views and who knows, if we like Bali over the plethora of other Thai island options, I'm sure we'll be back.

Thank you for your VERY informative post. W running as top Friday overnighter at the moment. Will search for pre-emptive bookings on SPG.com now.

Comment

Funny, I just started to read this after booking also our first ever trip to Bali at lunchtime......though we don't leave for a couple of weeks yet, school holidays and all that.

Staying in Seminyak and flying GA......thanks for the thread

Comment

I couldn't get the GA website to price. When I went to SQ, it seems all returning flights are full and they priced me on GA instead. At $3808 per pax.

Gave up and booked KLM in J.

If you're going in a few weeks, you might see me in Changi. I'll be using HSBC's JetQuay also, lol

Looking forward to those Delft houses!

Comment

I went through HSBC and got S$1070 for GA flights and 5nights in a hotel all inclusive of fees, taxes and breakfast leaving on the 6th for the three of us. Will book JetQuay and FastTrack etc. whilst keeping fingers crossed.

If you're around JQ on 6th, let me know.

Comment

Ahh got a "page" from MAN Flyer regarding IC Bali. OMG Kyo you have never been to Bali? Hard to believe.

Now for starters it sounds like a weekend getaway trip so I'm not sure all the hotel hopping will be that much fun thinking you would want to relax. I do the switching around on business trips (not much lately), but when I was in Bali not quite 2 weeks ago I did pretty much nothing other than hang out, sleep and eat. Anyways, all I'm saying is try to relax some and don't just move around.

Now in my view all that stuff around Nusa Dua is very sheltered, touristy type of stay with some nice properties around there, but mediocre beaches and not much Balinese spirit and soul. These hotels could often be anywhere in the world in a tropical location and you wouldn't know the difference.

MAN Flyer's recommendations and accounts are pretty much spot on just that I'm not that great a fan of the W (maybe because I'm not SPG Plat ) and find Potatoes Head quite pretentious with a fairly mediocre food and service - but hey that's just me. I prefer the quieter more relaxed parts of Bali.

Ok the IC. The place was build decades ago and these days you won't find a property in Bali with such a generous size plot of land and spacious layout and real local feel (for a big resort) than the IC Bali. Rooms have been refurbed and the grounds are great with a nice (for Bali) beach front. The airport won't bother you one bit from a noise angle though you can see the runway further out it is still a few miles away.

If you get RA then I would recommend to book a Club Duplex suite from which you should get bumped into one of the specialty suites. With some luck you could score a Bukit Suite or even the Jimbaran Suite. You could book under the Ambassador Certificate rate (similar to best flex rate) and would get the second night free if you stay Fri - Sun or Sat - Mon.

Food offering at the Club lounge is good and and you can have breakfast the room (anything from breakfast menu can be ordered) or go to Club or any of the restaurants serving breakfast. They also do a high-tea kind of thing from 2-4pm and then afternoon drinks & snacks from 4:30 - 7:00pm. Quite extensive drinks list during that time.

Staff is very good and accommodating and the resort overall feels quite tranquil for it's size. Spa is good and prices have come done (but there are other cheaper options around if needed - PM me). Food (local one) is good too, but I second MAN Flyers suggestion to book something at Bumbu Bali.

If you want to have fun in Seminyak or Legian though I would stay somewhere in that area. yes it is not that far but traffic can be quite atrocious if you take cabs back and forth. Stick to Bluebird if you do take a cab. Overall have fun.

Comment

I have never been to Bali
                    This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
                      I have never been to Bali
                      Neither have I... Nor Genting...

Comment

Originally posted by scooby5 View Post
                        I went through HSBC and got S$1070 for GA flights and 5nights in a hotel all inclusive of fees, taxes and breakfast leaving on the 6th for the three of us. Will book JetQuay and FastTrack etc. whilst keeping fingers crossed.

If you're around JQ on 6th, let me know.
                        I'm gonna be going a bit later than you are, if that's the case - didn't think to check through HSBC but will book JetQuay (do they offer FastTrack on the Bali in/outbound?). Any idea if it's a good hotel?
                        Originally posted by demue View Post
                        Ahh got a "page" from MAN Flyer regarding IC Bali. OMG Kyo you have never been to Bali? Hard to believe.
                        I know! (alas, it's true)
                        Now for starters it sounds like a weekend getaway trip so I'm not sure all the hotel hopping will be that much fun thinking you would want to relax. I do the switching around on business trips (not much lately), but when I was in Bali not quite 2 weeks ago I did pretty much nothing other than hang out, sleep and eat. Anyways, all I'm saying is try to relax some and don't just move around.
                        I *was* considering if I should book the bare basic room on the first night at the IC then switching to their 'Luxury Weekend' Duplex Suite rate - not sure if they'll bother making us move rooms, but it's a saving of approx $114 on the first night. Having said that, I really wouldn't mind one night's credit on the Starwood side as I have to overlapping nt goal of SPG50 this year, whilst still hitting IC RA requal again next Sept (60 nights, I'm told) and I'm fairly committed to it already seeing as I've plonked the cash down for RA!
                        Now in my view all that stuff around Nusa Dua is very sheltered, touristy type of stay with some nice properties around there, but mediocre beaches and not much Balinese spirit and soul. These hotels could often be anywhere in the world in a tropical location and you wouldn't know the difference.
                        Okay - fair enough. A bit of local spirit is always welcome.
                        MAN Flyer's recommendations and accounts are pretty much spot on just that I'm not that great a fan of the W (maybe because I'm not SPG Plat ) and find Potatoes Head quite pretentious with a fairly mediocre food and service - but hey that's just me. I prefer the quieter more relaxed parts of Bali.
                        Any comments on Ku De Ta? Is it also pretentious? Like the one in MBS?
                        Ok the IC. The place was build decades ago and these days you won't find a property in Bali with such a generous size plot of land and spacious layout and real local feel (for a big resort) than the IC Bali. Rooms have been refurbed and the grounds are great with a nice (for Bali) beach front. The airport won't bother you one bit from a noise angle though you can see the runway further out it is still a few miles away.

If you get RA then I would recommend to book a Club Duplex suite from which you should get bumped into one of the specialty suites. With some luck you could score a Bukit Suite or even the Jimbaran Suite. You could book under the Ambassador Certificate rate (similar to best flex rate) and would get the second night free if you stay Fri - Sun or Sat - Mon.
                        Not familiar with this Ambassador Cert rate. Do I need to show a cert? Enter a special code? Sign in with my Ambassador account/wait til RA activates?
                        Food offering at the Club lounge is good and and you can have breakfast the room (anything from breakfast menu can be ordered) or go to Club or any of the restaurants serving breakfast. They also do a high-tea kind of thing from 2-4pm and then afternoon drinks & snacks from 4:30 - 7:00pm. Quite extensive drinks list during that time.

Staff is very good and accommodating and the resort overall feels quite tranquil for it's size. Spa is good and prices have come done (but there are other cheaper options around if needed - PM me). Food (local one) is good too, but I second MAN Flyers suggestion to book something at Bumbu Bali.
                        I'll clear some PM space today
                        If you want to have fun in Seminyak or Legian though I would stay somewhere in that area. yes it is not that far but traffic can be quite atrocious if you take cabs back and forth. Stick to Bluebird if you do take a cab. Overall have fun.
                        I've only got Bluebird's number in Jakarta, will research this before I come, have plenty of time for this one, fortunately
                        Last edited by Kyo; 26 August 2013, 12:35 AM.

Comment

If you got RA and get the RA kit (same for regular Amb) you will have a Free weekend Night Certficate in the membership kit which can be used to get a free night for a weekend stay. Book Fri - Sun or Sat - Mon (unless you are in the Middle East) and they will only charge you the first night. The only condition is to book a specific rate via this website: http://www.ihg.com/intercontinental/...r/free-weekend

You will figure it out. If you don't have the certificate yet you can use it some other worthy place (aka high rate location) at a later point as it is usually 10-11 months valid.

Ku De Ta is quite alright in my book and not full of the super pretentious or "working" crowd you find in SIN. But then you know tastes differ and what one doesn't fancy is great for another. Try it out, but be prepared for some traffic on a Sat evening.

Comment

IC all the way if you have a weekend night cert and RA. Its the best value.

You can use this link as well for the weekend night cert - just select Ambassador Certificate from the rate preference drop down.
                            http://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/rese...eference=IBAMB

Comment

I'm gonna be going a bit later than you are, if that's the case - didn't think to check through HSBC but will book JetQuay (do they offer FastTrack on the Bali in/outbound?). Any idea if it's a good hotel?

There is FastTrack service in Bali.

In the end I didn't book it because they wanted USD50 for the third traveller so we'll all head through an APEC channel instead with fingers crossed they have one. I can better spend the fifty bucks somewhere else.

No idea if the hotel is good or not, but it gets quite a good write-up from TripAdvisor (with a pinch of salt thrown in) and is not far from Potato Head though we don't have the inclination to go. It's definitely not an IC or St.Regis being more local instead but for a quick no frills break away, should do fine.

So means we're there over the same weekend? I come back on 11th.

Comment

Working...
                              X