SQTalk  

Go Back   SQTalk > General > Destinations Chit-Chat

Old 11th November 2015, 08:37 AM   #121
MAN Flyer
SQTalk Founder

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, SPG Life Plat, Hyatt Dia, Hilton Dia

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapitan View Post
It was quite a breeze through Aussie immigration last week, used the E-Gate at Melbourne, there is no need for an officer to stamp passport, saved a page. However, long queue for custom check...... but was waved through when it was my turn.....
Same for me last night, except I waltzed through customs as well. I disembarked from CX163 at 22:55 and at 23:15 I was in my room at the Park Royal Hotel (ex Hilton) at MEL looking down on the aircraft I left 20 minutes earlier.
Old 7th December 2015, 08:14 PM   #122
MLflyer
SQTalk Elite Gold

Programs: Qantas Frequent Flyer, Lotus Miles, Krisflyer

Probably the rule of thumb for MEL & SYD is to avoid the morning peak, avoid that time slot and you will be fine, afternoon and night arrivals have always been fine in my experience. Though we can't always not arrive in the morning due to certain schedules!

Even with e-passport, Customs at MEL have often stopped people from entering the baggage claim area for 30 minutes at a time due to morning congestion. Gets worse during happy holiday times.
MLflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2016, 03:56 PM   #123
DinkumDave
SQTalk Elite Silver

Thumbs down Spraying the baggage hold

On the last few occasions I have arrived in PER, I've had a good run through the Duty Free slalom, and past the E-Gates. Whoopee!

Unfortunately that has all come undone at the baggage carousel. After a long, long wait, the following announcement is made - "Passengers arriving from Singapore, we apologise for the delay. This is due to Australian quarantine restrictions which require the baggage hold to be sprayed on all flights arriving from South East Asia".

I don't know what they are spraying for, and I don't know if it is a temporary arrangement or if it is here to stay. I have experienced it on every inbound flight since January this year. I guess the same arrangement must exist at other Australian airports?

At PER it leads to a delay of about 30 minutes. As I usually arrive on SQ215 around midnight, it is not the time of day I want to be standing around waiting for bags.
DinkumDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2016, 09:01 AM   #124
RCTP
SQTalk PPS Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinkumDave View Post
On the last few occasions I have arrived in PER, I've had a good run through the Duty Free slalom, and past the E-Gates. Whoopee!

Unfortunately that has all come undone at the baggage carousel. After a long, long wait, the following announcement is made - "Passengers arriving from Singapore, we apologise for the delay. This is due to Australian quarantine restrictions which require the baggage hold to be sprayed on all flights arriving from South East Asia".

I don't know what they are spraying for, and I don't know if it is a temporary arrangement or if it is here to stay. I have experienced it on every inbound flight since January this year. I guess the same arrangement must exist at other Australian airports?

At PER it leads to a delay of about 30 minutes. As I usually arrive on SQ215 around midnight, it is not the time of day I want to be standing around waiting for bags.
Happened to me too when I travelled to MEL last July. Flew on SQ227 and had to wait at the carousel for 45min after the announcement for the first bags to appear.

And since I was travelling in R, I was surprised to see that the first few bags that came out were J bags. I kept my displeasure to myself but another R passenger next to me muttered, "I should have flown in business."
RCTP is offline   Reply With Quote