How many DSLR users here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jhm View Post
    It mounts very nicely on the 400D. It's an excellent lens - I've read that apart from being an EF-S lens, everything else about it is L class. I'm not sure about the build quality though - phaleesy dropped the lens and the electronics inside broke (but luckily Canon UK fixed it without a problem even though we bought it in Japan).
    True. It's a Junior L, and probably the only reason they couldn't call it an L was because it was an EF-S.

Originally posted by jhm View Post
    The EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 which came with the 400D is really cheap and plasticy.
    I've taken precisely 3 pics with the standard kit lens and put it away.

Originally posted by fimo View Post
    Heh. That's what's on my shopping list, a nice handbag that comfortably holds my DSLR+prime too! But the P/S is great for odd angles, and when one only has 1 hand to quickly snap a shot on the go.
    That's what you need. Evenings out with dainty purses - those are for the Ixus. But the rest of it i'll readily lug a big ol' bag

Originally posted by wsssaero View Post
    One Nikon D80 here, seems like there are alot of Canon users around.
    Like kapitan says - this is a thread for photographers I guess. All welcome. I'm just looking for ways to improve my Trip reports on SQTalk

Comment

I've been into photography for some time now, but never taken a TR-type picture in an aircraft before (I hope to soon). Hence, just a couple of questions:

1. Do you get weird looks from people if you are taking a wide angle cabin shot from the front or the back of your respective section or the aircraft? I notice for most of the wide cabin shots on a.net, the photographers take them from the back of the aircraft. Any of you taken shots from the front of your respective seating section before? Would like to hear some passenger reactions to photography...?

I am planning to hopefully board as early as possible and snap a couple of shots from the front of the seating section (asap to minimise blocking) before taking my seat, then take a shot from the rear mid-flight...

2. If I wanted a 1/60s shutter and f/8 aperture, what kind of ISO would I be looking at for a wide cabin shot for both day time when windows are open and night time? I am guessing something like ISO400 and ISO 800?

3. 17mm on a 1.3x crop wide enough for a wide cabin shot from port to starboard window maybe 10 rows ahead if I am standing at the back of the plane?

4. Preference to use DSLR or point and shoot (I reckon this will not be "wide" enough) for cabin photography?
      Last edited by jn82; 11 November 2008, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jn82 View Post
        Kyo, at the moment with the exchange rate, Australian prices for DSLRs are indeed very cheap compared to Singapore. If you refer here to Canon price list of a shop in Melbourne city, you can see 5D Mk II's pre-order price is only AUD$3,999! Add the GST refund benefit and you will end up paying only AUD$3,635! Considering that Singapore price is expected to be near S$5,000. Especially with the recent price adjustement by Canon USA due to strong Yen, the Australian price is indeed very cheap! Models like 1000D and 450D are a few hundred cheaper than available in Singapore at the moment, not even accounting for the GST benefit.<snip>
        I find on another Australian forum I frequent: http://www.camera-warehouse.com.au/p...eos-5d-mark-ii (Click on 'Related News')

Seems end-Nov is when the first sets start to ship. I'd have to push my luck and hope it comes in time to pass over to a friend coming over on the 10th of December ex BNE. And they are only expecting one or two units!

Tempting, but the risk that it may not arrive in time for this particular guy to bring over makes me hesitate. I wonder if there will be any gray imports in BKK, end-Nov, as am also planning to be there.

Comment

I'm the black sheep! At the moment if I can get employment over the holidays I've got my eye on a Pentax K200D, it seems like the right camera and at the right price for me, and I can use the lenses that came with the K1000 flim SLR that I've inherited with it. I was originally going to buy it in Singapore, but I was mortified when I plugged the numbers into a currency converter and found out that the Aussie dollar is now worth LESS than the Singapore dollar! oh well, just got to work harder I guess

Comment

I have an Olympus E-510. To be honest I have never worked out how to get the most out of it. In hindsight I should have just stuck with my point and shoot as that is basially all I do with the DSLR but it is 10 times the size and weight.

Comment

Originally posted by jn82 View Post
              I don't think you need these kind of filters for all lenses, for e.g. 95% of telephoto shots will not require this, but >50% of landscape shots might.
              Originally posted by N_Architect View Post
              I'm not big on filters. But each person may have a different opinion. Truth is I have not played around with filters much. So far I have mostly been using filters for protection only.
              Thanks - I've read a few different opinions, but most are in line with both of yours too. I guess I've just been really unlucky that on recent trips to Norway and the Rhine Valley in Germany there was a lot of cloud cover that made it super challenging to take decent photos. So I just wanted to be sure that I wasn't a complete dunce about the whole thing.

Anyhoo - I have my photos in flickr, let my pro account lapse last year and haven't gotten around to renewing it so only the most recent 200 are visible.

Comment

Wow, fimo, I love your food pics!

Comment

Olympus E 500 here.
                  My pictures of nature& of airplanes are alright but I can't get humans into the picture because
                  a) I'm a noob and I often screw up my pictures in a major way
                  b) humans tend to stay indoors and the E 500 as it is produces nothing but JUNK indoors because its autofocus takes three houers to get ready (yes I know manual is an option but usually humans get bored before I've set it up )
                  Capslock is cruise control for cool... not!

See you at W:O:A 2010- rain or shine!

Comment

Olympus E-510 user.
                    As usual olympus doesn't get much mention

Shopping list:
                    50mm F2 prime
                    E-3 in the near future

Lens:
                    12-60mm F2.8-F4
                    40-150mm F4-F5.6
                    14-42mm F3.5-F5.6

Olympus has one of the best colours IMHO but the problem is that it suffers from blown highlights quite often and needs some post processing work.

Comment

Marvellous thread! Good of SQfg to start the thread. Any possibility of creating a separate forum, then we could have separate threads in the forum?

Got to run now. Would be back!

Comment

Originally posted by zander View Post
                        Olympus E-510 user.
                        As usual olympus doesn't get much mention
                        Hmmm, seems looking at this page alone we have at least 4 Olympus-using SQTalkers...

E-510 here.

Comment

The thing that irks me about the Olympus is that they run on their own xD(?) picture cards, which seem to be incompatible with every generic card reader I've come across... not good for usability

Comment

Originally posted by Greatfox View Post
                            The thing that irks me about the Olympus is that they run on their own xD(?) picture cards, which seem to be incompatible with every generic card reader I've come across... not good for usability
                            The 510 has dual slots - XD and CF. I don't even own an XD card - only use the CF.

Comment

So what's the best type of lens for onboard shots?

What tips to get clear crisp shots of cities passing by underneath the plane at night?

Comment

Canon 30D (will upgrade to 50D & 5D Mark II soon)
                                Canon G9 (will upgrade to G10 soon)

Canon EF-S 10-22
                                Canon EF 28-200
                                Canon EF 100-400

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                                So what's the best type of lens for onboard shots
                                Take the latest Canon EF-S 18-200 on board should cover everything from cabin interior shots to air-to-air shots.

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                                What tips to get clear crisp shots of cities passing by underneath the plane at night?
                                Turn your ISO to the 3200 or 6400 in order to increase the speed of the shutter.

Comment

Working...
                                X