Confirmed : SIN-MAN-IAH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ek&sq View Post
    Actually, some US airports including IAH report very good statistics on a monthly basis. According to their May numbers, this is how SQ performed. 22 flights each way. 253 seats on the A359.

Enplaned
    IAH-MAN 114 pax
    IAH-SIN 98 pax
    Average load 84%

Deplaned
    MAN-IAH 84 pax
    SIN-IAH 54 pax
    Average load 54%

http://www.fly2houston.com/newsroom/...nd-statistics/
    Thanks for sharing.

Do people fly one-way with SQ and return journey on another carrier? How can there be such a huge gap in loading between the two flights.

Comment

• Originally posted by ek&sq View Post
      Actually, some US airports including IAH report very good statistics on a monthly basis. According to their May numbers, this is how SQ performed. 22 flights each way. 253 seats on the A359.

Enplaned
      IAH-MAN 114 pax
      IAH-SIN 98 pax
      Average load 84%

Deplaned
      MAN-IAH 84 pax
      SIN-IAH 54 pax
      Average load 54%

http://www.fly2houston.com/newsroom/...nd-statistics/
      Thank you!

The website I have seen was a centralised one (rather than Houston specific) so thanks for pointing me in this direction!

An interesting split of loads. I wonder whether there is an explanation for it...

Comment

• perhaps SIA should reduce this route frequency as its barely just breakeven especially on its MAN-IAH-MAN sectors.

Comment

• It won't surprise you to hear that I disagree with you flyguy! I think SQ have got this about right so far and, moving forward, are more likely to want to add the extra two weekly rotations to get up to daily than anything else.

May was a down month compared to previous ones, but the June numbers are out from IAH so we can assess the overall load factor on SQ51/52 for that month.

There is a slight discrepancy between the IAH numbers and the CAA numbers which is likely to be because a particular sector took off from IAH in May and landed at MAN in June (or vice versa) and is recorded locally accordingly. These are highlighted below.

June 2017

21 rotations, 42 sectors.

IAH-SIN: 3,035 - 72 ave per sector.
          MAN-SIN: 6,632 - 158 ave per sector
          MAN IAH: 6,199 - 148 ave per sector

Note: IAH figures have IAH-MAN as 141 ave per sector.

This means the following:

SIN-MAN: 230 av per sector, 91% LF
          MAN-IAH: 220 av per sector, 87% LG

If you take IAH figures, MAN-IAH is 213 per sector, 84% LF

For comparison, SQ's recent results reported that network average is 80% and passenger break even load factor is 82.2%.

Compared to when the route was via DME, the MAN-IAH sectors on cargo and passenger show around a 100% improvement (i.e. They have doubled).

All in all, SQ can probably be rather pleased with the decision as this looks to be trending in the right direction overall.
          Last edited by Dobbo; 3 August 2017, 06:41 PM.

Comment

• The question remains though, is SQ filling the flight profitably?

Comment

• Sorry i'am confused.

How you get from here:

Originally posted by Dobbo View Post
              June 2017

21 rotations, 42 sectors.

IAH-SIN: 3,035 - 72 ave per sector.
              MAN-SIN: 6,632 - 158 ave per sector
              MAN IAH: 6,199 - 148 ave per sector

Note: IAH figures have IAH-MAN as 141 ave per sector.
              ...to that conclusion?

Originally posted by Dobbo View Post
              This means the following:

SIN-MAN: 230 av per sector, 91% LF
              MAN-IAH: 220 av per sector, 87% LG

If you take IAH figures, MAN-IAH is 213 per sector, 84% LF

Comment

• Hi SQ25

You add the IAH-SIN traffic to the MAN-SIN or MAN-IAH Traffic respectively. MAN & SIN was made up of 158 getting on or disembarking at MAN and 72 through pax SIN-IAH & IAH-SIN.
                The MAN-IAH total is 220 comprising the same 72 through pax and 148 for the MAN-IAH sectors.

So:

IAH-MAN = IAH-SIN (72) + IAH-MAN (148) = 220
                MAN-SIN = IAH-SIN (72) + MAN-SIN (158) = 230

The reason why you add the IAH-SIN passengers "twice" is because they fly both sectors of SQ51/52.

The CAA stats in the U.K. do not count IAH-SIN traffic, and the IAH stats specifically distinguish between traffic to MAN and SIN (i.e. I am not double counting).

Hope that answers your question?
                Last edited by Dobbo; 4 August 2017, 04:18 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jumbojet Lover View Post
                  The question remains though, is SQ filling the flight profitably?
                  Fair point, which we won't know the answer to.

What I would say is that SQ have flown to MAN for a long long time and have persisted with IAH for a long time as well. I doubt they'd do that if they weren't making money.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dobbo View Post
                    Fair point, which we won't know the answer to.

What I would say is that SQ have flown to MAN for a long long time and have persisted with IAH for a long time as well. I doubt they'd do that if they weren't making money.
                    Sometimes, it's not about profitability of a specific route, although it would be good if a route is profitable. It could contribute to profitability of the greater network. For example, SQ may carry a passenger MAN-SIN-SYD. SQ may not transport him profitably on MAN-SIN but makes a profit transporting him SIN-SYD. Without the MAN flight, SQ would lose passengers contributing to their SYD flights. I'm no expert but maybe overall it's still profitable on a network basis....

Comment

• Originally posted by Jumbojet Lover View Post
                      Sometimes, it's not about profitability of a specific route, although it would be good if a route is profitable. It could contribute to profitability of the greater network. For example, SQ may carry a passenger MAN-SIN-SYD. SQ may not transport him profitably on MAN-SIN but makes a profit transporting him SIN-SYD. Without the MAN flight, SQ would lose passengers contributing to their SYD flights. I'm no expert but maybe overall it's still profitable on a network basis....
                      Im sure SQ has pretty large passenger flows MAN-SIN-[OZ/NZ]. However, Singapore is a popular destination in its own right. When the flight was via MUC, the MEB3 all had MAN-xxx-SIN amongst their top 10 one stop routes ex MAN.

I don't know if that has changed much since the non stop flight, we might need to wait for a daily service to make a good comparison, but I'd very much hope so.

It would be an interesting study - looking at loss leaders to contribute to wider network profitability. I wonder how SQ (and other airlines) measure this...

Comment

• All of the flights I have been on from MAN-SIN have been packed - occasionally a spare seat in Y at least. Similar experience in J.

However, being a teacher, I travel in the holidays - July, December and Easter. Maybe it is different outside of these dates?

It would be interesting to see "profitability" by month / season / over the course of the year as well as to see if it is a loss leader as such - I cant see it though.

Comment

• I have just got off SQ52 MAN > SIN and it was quite full, only spotted a few seats empty. I didn't go into PEY or Y though.

I did notice that 2 J seats are reserved for crew use.

Comment

• was on sq 52 man-sin twice earlier this year and it was totally full in Y, majority were all aussies travelling from man-sin-australia/NZ, from what they told me SQ is very a very popular choice for them as they dont have to fly through the middle east and singapore has prertty good connections for them getting back to australia. according to the aussies they were all glad that SQ started the service and the price was pretty good for them and they had free stopovers as well, so ya i would think SQ prolly making profits from australia connections

Comment

• The MAN-SIN and vv part of the service is doing well. Possibly even very well I suppose when they are off loading folk on MAN-SIN legs. As long as the oil price doesn't go anywhere near three figures again it should continue to do so, and even then with the much better economics provided by the A350 should keep the route worthwhile. On a personal level it would be nice if the inbound SIN-MAN left a bit earlier but with the onward leg to IAH that's not likely to happen any time soon. And to be fair I do like the timings of the MAN-IAH-MAN flights.

IAH has as expected proved a bit of a challenge, even though we as a company have been making good use of it for the last few months. Having said that over the summer from a month or so back and up to a few weeks ahead bookings to and from IAH are excellent. We sent a couple of Engineers to Alaska at very short notice a couple of weeks ago, routing them through IAH and SEA. Even though we managed to get them a return flight in PE to IAH (at treble what we paid for flights to IAH in PE two months ago) they changed their flights back to the UK and we had to put them in JCL on IAH-MAN as the flight was chock full elsewhere.

Despite this current rush IAH is still quiet at times. The refusal of UA to play ball on codeshares onwards from IAH (yes, they have been asked....) is not helping matters. They do get a decent amount of pax using IAH as their hub in the US and going onwards from there, Mexico proving particularly popular with pax from SQ52.

A month or so ago the SQ's RVP for Europe came to visit MAN accompanied by the UK GM and a couple of us were kindly invited out for dinner with them and the MAN Sales Manager. They seem pretty happy with the way things are going and I have to admit some of the stuff they told me about future SQ plans were pleasantly surprising, including some real left field stuff. But as a courtesy to those present, and to avoid upsetting those on here who like to think they know everything first , I'll refrain from putting it out on a public forum, for now.
                              Last edited by MAN Flyer; 8 August 2017, 10:38 PM.

Comment

• Seems SQ51/52 will terminate at MAN until further notice. I don't know if this means the aircraft will wait at MAN for 24 hours (as has happened over the past week or so) before returning to SIN or whether they will do the return leg on the same day.

MAN should be fine to stand on its own two feet, perhaps that will now be put to the test of IAH drops off SQ's route-map.

http://www.straitstimes.com/world/un...ights-affected

Comment

Working...
                                X