Confirmed : SIN-MAN-IAH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• January 2018

SIN-IAH: TBC (usually varies from 55 - 70 per sector).

SIN-MAN: 163 per sector, not including SIN-IAH traffic (+7% YoY).

MAN-IAH: 103 per sector, not including SIN-IAH traffic (+33% YoY).

Both sectors demonstrate growth - importantly MAN-IAH traffic is growing at a quicker rate and closing the gap with MAN-SIN.

Comment

• February 2018

SIN-IAH: TBC (usually varies from 55 - 70 per sector).

SIN-MAN: 158 per sector, not including SIN-IAH traffic (-4% YoY).

MAN-IAH: 81 per sector, not including SIN-IAH traffic (-8% YoY).

Whilst the extreme weather in the UK at the end of February may have played, this is a superficially disappointing result given the good numbers of the previous few months.

I'll try and dig out the SIN-IAH numbers in the coming days.

Comment

• I had an economy return flight from AMS to IAH via MAN in the past two weeks. The sectors AMS to MAN return were KLM flights. Although there are direct flights from AMS to IAH with KLM, I've chosen to fly via MAN and I don't regret. Singapore Airlines is definitely better than KLM.

Both flights to and from IAH were not fully booked. On the sector MAN-IAH I had three seats for myself in front of the economy cabin, which was very, very comfortable. On the way back the middle seat next to me was empty (actually a passenger was in that seat, but she moved to another row). It's much more bearable when the seat next to you is not occupied. However, it's pretty rare these days.

Although MAN is not a pleasant airport to transfer (international to international), it went pretty smooth. I booked the itinerary as one ticket so I didn't have to collect my checked baggage at MAN. The SIA service to IAH was better than the flight back to MAN. Meals were good. Snacks were distributed between the meal services from MAN to IAH but not from IAH to MAN. I asked for a sandwich on my way back, but they only had cookies. This could have something to do with the flight times. The flight duration from IAH to MAN is a little bit shorter. However, this is not consistant in my opinion.

In summary, the flights were quite comfortable mainly due to the empty seats next to me. I really enjoyed it.
        Last edited by LeisureFlyer; 30 March 2018, 07:17 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by LeisureFlyer View Post
          The SIA service to IAH was better than the flight back to MAN. Meals were good. Snacks were distributed between the meal services from MAN to IAH but not from IAH to MAN. I asked for a sandwich on my way back, but they only had cookies. This could have something to do with the flight times. The flight duration from IAH to MAN is a little bit shorter. However, this is not consistant in my opinion.
          The catering from IAH has always been below standard. Previously when it flew via DME, it was also bad from there. So flying back to SIN from IAH was always miserable food-wise. I've not heard anything bad from MAN.

Comment

I had an economy return flight from AMS to IAH via MAN in the past two weeks. The sectors AMS to MAN return were KLM flights. Although there are direct flights from AMS to IAH with KLM, I've chosen to fly via MAN and I don't regret. Singapore Airlines is definitely better than KLM.
            That's interesting. I didnt know you could do that with KLM on one ticket (I assumed you could with LH group, SAS, TAP etc).

Hopefully the transfer experience will improve when the expanded terminal is completed. It doesn't look the most aesthetically pleasing structure, butnif it's functional and decent inside that's fine by me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dobbo View Post
              That's interesting. I didnt know you could do that with KLM on one ticket (I assumed you could with LH group, SAS, TAP etc).

Hopefully the transfer experience will improve when the expanded terminal is completed. It doesn't look the most aesthetically pleasing structure, butnif it's functional and decent inside that's fine by me.
              KLM and SIA obviously have a kind of agreement on some flight sectors. The transit at MAN is ridiculous: I arrived at T3 with KLM. Then I had to go to T1 by bus to go through security (apparantly this security is dedicated to in-transit passengers so it went pretty fast). They asked for my boarding pass which I was neither able to collect at AMS nor online. I had to show some kind of proof so I showed my ticket on the screen of my phone. Then another bus ride to T2 to collect the boarding pass and catch the SIA flight! For each bus ride I had to wait longer than the announced 10 minutes! What a difference with Changi Airport!
              Last edited by LeisureFlyer; 30 March 2018, 10:11 PM.

Comment

• So wait IAH to Manchester only one meal?

Comment

KLM and SIA obviously have a kind of agreement on some flight sectors. The transit at MAN is ridiculous: I arrived at T3 with KLM. Then I had to go to T1 by bus to go through security (apparantly this security is dedicated to in-transit passengers so it went pretty fast). They asked for my boarding pass which I was neither able to collect at AMS nor online. I had to show some kind of proof so I showed my ticket on the screen of my phone. Then another bus ride to T2 to collect the boarding pass and catch the SIA flight! For each bus ride I had to wait longer than the announced 10 minutes! What a difference with Changi Airport!
                  That does sound like an horrendous faf.

The hope/expectation is that transits (including when you are on a transit flight like SQ51/52) at MAN will be far easier when the terminal 2 extension is completed. At least then all the major airlines *should* be under one roof (e.g. KLM, AF, BA, BE).

Comment

• Originally posted by Triniflyer View Post
                    So wait IAH to Manchester only one meal?
                    No, two meals but there was no snack (sandwich, chocolate bar, fruit) in between from IAH to MAN.

Comment

That does sound like an horrendous faf.

The hope/expectation is that transits (including when you are on a transit flight like SQ51/52) at MAN will be far easier when the terminal 2 extension is completed. At least then all the major airlines *should* be under one roof (e.g. KLM, AF, BA, BE).
                      Well, at least it killed time and I had a nice view on the planes from the bus Do you know when the terminal will be completed? The airport is so old and ugly.

Comment

Well, at least it killed time and I had a nice view on the planes from the bus Do you know when the terminal will be completed? The airport is so old and ugly.
                        This is apparently phase 1, which will apparently see an "end game" where T1 and T3 are demolished and redeveloped. This phase (T2 expansion) should complete by 2023 but the first parts of phase 1 should open next year.

It likely won't win many beauty contests, but if it is functional, efficient and has some decent shops, eateries and facilities it'll be fine. It is certainly much better than what's there now.

A sneak preview of the interior is below.

http://mantp.co.uk/gallery/

Comment

This is apparently phase 1, which will apparently see an "end game" where T1 and T3 are demolished and redeveloped. This phase (T2 expansion) should complete by 2023 but the first parts of phase 1 should open next year.

It likely won't win many beauty contests, but if it is functional, efficient and has some decent shops, eateries and facilities it'll be fine. It is certainly much better than what's there now.

A sneak preview of the interior is below.

http://mantp.co.uk/gallery/
                          Looks good!

Comment

Looks good!
                            It's not bad, but in the UK (presumably also elsewhere) we have something called "value engineering" whereby the aesthetic but non-functional elements tend to be marginalised or squeezed out to save money.

I'll believe it when I see it, but we'll have a good idea within 12 months or thereabouts.

Comment

It's not bad, but in the UK (presumably also elsewhere) we have something called "value engineering" whereby the aesthetic but non-functional elements tend to be marginalised or squeezed out to save money.
                              I hate that about the UK. As times goes on it makes the buildings look awful. I cringe when I see a 1960's office block or block of flats!

Comment

• March 2018

SIN-IAH loads are 69 passengers per sector.

SIN-MAN loads are 159 per sector, which is 228 per sector when you add in SIN-IAH traffic (90% load factor).

MAN-IAH loads are 117 per sector, which is 186 per sector when you add in SIN-IAH traffic, which is 74% load factor.

SIN-MAN remains popular, whilst MAN-IAH continues to show modest growth. It continues to track in the right direction, but is it enough for SQ?

Comment

Working...
                                X