Should I move to Singapore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jhm View Post
    According to a quick Google (so it may or may not be absolute accurate), Changi serves around 180 destinations compared to 370 destinations for the London airports.
    post deleted
    Last edited by SQtraveller; 20 August 2017, 04:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SQtraveller View Post
      I think that is true jhm - though given the rather disparate nature of Heathrow terminals as well as the run down conditions of some areas - I would probably prefer to travel from Changi, even it is to fewer destination.

The arrival of the ULTra should make interchange between those terminals easier - apparently it comes into operation in Spring this year... looks pretty cool but will it work?!?
      Changi is IMHO the best airport in the world.

But I think people are also complaining too much about Heathrow. I had a 30 mins connection at Heathrow T1 between * alliance carriers. My luggage made it onto the connecting flight. Maybe I was just lucky and many of those whingers aren't.

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
        Changi is IMHO the best airport in the world.

But I think people are also complaining too much about Heathrow. I had a 30 mins connection at Heathrow T1 between * alliance carriers. My luggage made it onto the connecting flight. Maybe I was just lucky and many of those whingers aren't.
        I would have to agree with you here. Changi is definitely my favourite airport but my recent experiences of LHR have been very good. I would say that on average check in and security take me less than 15 minutes. I have only transferred through LHR twice and I was dreading it after hearing all the horror stories but on both occasions it was quick and easy. I still do have a few pet hates about LHR especially the lack of seats as they have crammed far too many shops into the space available and as it does operate at full capacity any sort of disruption can cause huge delays but overall I think it is much better than it was a few years ago.

Comment

I don't want to tempt fate here, but LHR is miles better than it was 2 or 3 years ago. Having said that, I did hit a silly and unecessary queue a few week back on a T1 - T3 transfer when they were back to the bad old days of one scanner out of seven in operation with a big queue, but overall it's much better than it was.

Changi of course is in a league of it's own, but is nothing like the gateway to the world. Gateway to S.E. Asia or the Aisa Pacific maybe.

Comment

The figure I mentioned above is for the "London airports" which stretches the definition of London by including not only LHR but also LGW, LCY, STN and LTN (about 35 miles from central London).

Nevertheless, LHR by itself still has many more destinations/countries directly connected than SIN and for me at least that far outweighs LHR's well known problems. And if that isn't enough, AMS, FRA and CDG are all less than 400 miles from LHR (and MAD another few hundred miles away) compared to SIN where the nearest airport of any significance is probably HKG (1,600 miles away).

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post

Changi of course is in a league of it's own, but is nothing like the gateway to the world. Gateway to S.E. Asia or the Asia Pacific maybe.
              Absolutely

I meet a lot of expats in my line of work.

Younger ones appreciate the opportunities here compared to where they're from.

For their age, they seem to be given greater responsibilities in SIN compared to what they would get back home.

Expats with families like how safe SIN is for their kids to go out, even at night.

And to have help raising the kids ( = maids! ) is a godsend

They use their posting in SIN to more easily explore Asia and Australia-New Zealand too.

Not to mention my American friend simply raves at how easy it is to submit your personal income tax here compared to the US version.

I'm 9V-SIA, and I'm running for President of Singapore...

Comment

Local talent is not appreciated in Singapore!

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                I meet a lot of expats in my line of work.

Younger ones appreciate the opportunities here compared to where they're from.

For their age, they seem to be given greater responsibilities in SIN compared to what they would get back home.
                This is going to get OT but I really have an opinion about this. But no flaming please!!!

These expats have more opportunities and responsibilities in Singapore compared to what they have back home. Why is that? Perhaps they were just one of the many small fish in that big pond at home.

Employers and some Singaporeans seem to have that mistaken belief that foreign graduates or expatriates are more highly skilled and 'smarter' than the local Singapore graduates. So when these little fish arrive in Singapore, they're suddenly big shots in important posts. Posts which a Singaporean graduate could have filled perhaps?

Maybe that's why we have this 'circular migration' phenomena? Singaporeans and Malaysians working abroad, and 'expats' working in SE Asia.

Somehow I doubt that the foreign education or training would account for much in terms of job performance in the long run. Oxbridge and top London universities produce many clueless ones too, and I'm speaking from my own experiences!

Comment

I'd vote for 9V-SIA...

But watch out for that dark horse SuperJonJon, he's devious!

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                    According to a quick Google (so it may or may not be absolute accurate), Changi serves around 180 destinations compared to 370 destinations for the London airports.
                    See also Flight Connectivity Index - how many other countries can you fly to directly from each country. Given the longhaul dominance of single hubs in most countries (USA a notable exception) it is a good proxy for airport connectivity.

Highest are Germany (Frankfurt), UK (London), and France (Paris) - each have flights to over 100 other countries. Singapore is well down the list with 41 countries (equal 26th ranking). Some other selected results - China has 66 (11th ranking), Bangkok has 55 (15th ranking), Malaysia has 42 (25th ranking), South Korea 37 (equal 34th ranking), Japan 36 (equal 38th ranking), Australia 30 (equal 49th ranking).

Comment

Perhaps they were just one of the many small fish in that big pond at home.
                      Agree, though this is just one of the reasons why these expats feel better in SIN (or in any other expat location).

Employers and some Singaporeans seem to have that mistaken belief that foreign graduates or expatriates are more highly skilled and 'smarter' than the local Singapore graduates.
                      Absolutely true in Asia in general, and wrong in my opinion. Asians, generally speaking, and very reserved and lack confidence in this area; they are equally smart, capable, determined or hard-working as any expats. Confidence is the key.

Somehow I doubt that the foreign education or training would account for much in terms of job performance in the long run.
                      Agree, it does not. What matters most for good job performance is the ability to apply your common sense, your determination, your emotional maturity and stability, your hands-on attitude and your willingness to overcome adversity and reach any desired (business or personal) goal.

Having a degree from any top school can never guarantee this (and believe me, I also speak from personal experience!)

Can someone tell me when the next elections in Singapore will be held? I have someone I would like to vote, if I am eligible...

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                        I'd vote for 9V-SIA...

But watch out for that dark horse SuperJonJon, he's devious!
                        I am not running for President. I don't like to open my house for public viewing on special occasions.

Comment

Originally posted by N_Architect View Post

Can someone tell me when the next elections in Singapore will be held? I have someone I would like to vote, if I am eligible...
                          The current term for the Singapore President ends on 16 Aug 2011. So for presidential elections it should be around that date if it is contested.

For the general elections, it must be held on or before Feb 2011.
                          Personally i think it will happen very soon.

Comment

Singapore does have an unpleasant side. It does not look after its needy. It may be one of the wealthiest places in the world, with massive "reserves", Ferrari's/Bentley's etc clogging the streets, but every time I go to a food court, and see an elderly person who can barely walk-- working to clear the tables, it just makes me depressed.

Basically if you do not have enough savings, or if you do not have children to support you, you are pretty much left on your own. Of course I would like to pay 10% tax too, and loathe to support "dole bludgers", however I do think it is right that the most vulnerable members of society gets taken care of. And especially so, if this society is supposed to be rich.

I guess most of us here are not on or below the poverty line, so Singapore can indeed be a good place-- first world amenities often at less than first world prices, thanks to some unfortunates being paid third world wages.

Pardon my rant.

Comment

I think the tide is turning since the recession in terms of expats here, there was a mass culling a while ago and while more are getting shipped back in to Singapore now I think there is definitely a shift to look to employing locals more.

When times are good I think its easier for companies to just move over an experienced person who can hit the ground running than spend time hiring someone and training them, when costs come in to play more then people have to think a bit longer about where to resource from.

Comment

Like Kyo mentioned, cars here are very expensive because of taxes of sorts imposed by the government to keep the number of cars on the roads low. Given how tiny Singapore is and the relatively cheap cab fares, I'd rather take cabs myself. And the trains are pretty good and completely safe here. Even some of my Directors at the government ministry I was working with during my holidays take them

There is a new train line, the Circle Line opening in April and one more under construction.

Other than what's already mentioned here, communication wouldn't be an issue either. Singaporeans are native English speakers since we take English as our first language. But these days there are so many people from China and India working in the stores here who aren't as fluent in English.. its pretty alienating when I go to the stores these days and hardly find any Singaporeans working in the front lines.

Would you perhaps get a chance to try staying here for a couple of months to see if you like it before deciding?

hsf: that's true actually. I think a lot more can be done for the eldery at least. Well I'm a volunteer for a home for the aged but the government really needs to provide a little more for the current elderly at least- those who grew up in a much poorer Singapore and missed out on an education and thus the economic bandwagon.

Comment

Working...
                                X