X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Asia to go ahead with London-Malaysia launch

http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...alaysia-launch

Air Asia to go ahead with London-Malaysia launch

Record fuel prices will not scupper plans to launch budget flights from London to Malaysia, Air Asia’s boss has pledged.

Kuala Lumpur-based Air Asia revealed plans to sell flights from Stansted to the Malaysian capital under the Air Asia X brand earlier this year, aiming at business as well as leisure travellers.

A Christmas launch was targeted, but Tony Fernandes, Air Asia founder and group chief executive, said problems sourcing a suitable aircraft had led to a slight delay.

“The earliest will now be next March and the latest, June. We were hoping to start in November or December,” he said. A team is currently in final talks at Stansted. “We are 90 per cent there,” said Fernandes.

Air Asia X has sourced an Airbus A340-300 on which it will carry 386 passengers, including 58 in a premium economy cabin. This will have inclined flatbed seats with a 50-inch pitch.

Economy fares were originally set to be around £300 return, but Fernandes admitted the oil price meant this was now more likely to be about £350.

Air Asia X plans to price its premium economy section against Malaysia Airlines’ full fare economy ticket. Passengers in both classes will have to pay for food.

Air Asia believes it can risk launching the London service despite the economic uncertainty. Unlike Oasis Hong Kong Airlines, which collapsed earlier this year, Air Asia has been operating for seven years and already carries 22 million passengers – 7 million more than Malaysia Airlines. Air Asia X already flies to China and Australia from Kuala Lumpur.

“I have taken the view that one of the best times to expand is during a period of flux,” said Fernandes.

Air Asia X, in which Sir Richard Branson owns a 20 per cent stake, is bringing its sponsorship of Manchester United to an end and will instead use the Virgin connection to publicise its UK launch next year.

Its parent company is also targeting business travellers by expanding on trunk routes between Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong, Bangkok and Singapore.

It flies seven times a day to Bangkok and hopes to expand its Kuala Lumpur-Singapore service from two to eight a day when an open skies deal comes into force in December.

“Our target is 15 times a day, there is a huge market,” Fernandes said.

For more information visit airasia.com.

Originally posted by quik! View Post
    Economy fares were originally set to be around £300 return, but Fernandes admitted the oil price meant this was now more likely to be about £350.

Air Asia X plans to price its premium economy section against Malaysia Airlines’ full fare economy ticket. Passengers in both classes will have to pay for food.

Now THAT i don't agree with........Premium Economy paying like full fare MAS economy prices yet still having to pay for food.

Honestly, for £350 i'd still expect food in economy class especially since it's a long haul flight. One thing Oasis dis show in their short time was that long haul is a lot different expectation to short haul.

Comment

IIRC they advertised through fares Oz to London, but pax told they are not protected if misconnect at KUL!

Comment

I also read somewhere something about them wanting to charge fares by pax weight........ which is a little surprising for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
          I also read somewhere something about them wanting to charge fares by pax weight........ which is a little surprising for sure!

Think that was something dreampt up in the US a few months ago but not aware of anybody going at it seriously.

Comment

A new slogan perhaps,...

"Air Asia,...the airline of choice for anorexics"

Comment

386 seats (with 58 premium seats; and haha about the term 'flatbed' on AirAsiaX) in an A340-300?
              It has been suggested elsewhere that the aircraft might be a leased -600. That would be cool.

Comment

Originally posted by JetE View Post
                386 seats (with 58 premium seats; and haha about the term 'flatbed' on AirAsiaX) in an A340-300?
                It has been suggested elsewhere that the aircraft might be a leased -600. That would be cool.
                The wild suggestions of the -600 came from wikipedia.

Comment

http://www.theage.com.au/news/news/a...702022645.html

Malaysian long-haul budget carrier AirAsia X on Tuesday denied it was considering charging passengers according to how much they weigh.
                  All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

They said it was a joke? I somehow doubt it. More like.... oops! look at the reaction! better claim we said it in jest

Comment

Yeapz...while the typical Asian may not give two hoots, the typical heavy-set ang mo is probably going to go all defensive and scream discrimination.
                      Help make this article a better one!

Comment

That surcharge wouldn't only hurt the very large but also the very long or sportive ones.

Not that I'd want to fly that airline anyway if I had the choice. 386 pax on an A343? Paying for your food on a longhaul flight?
                        Capslock is cruise control for cool... not!

See you at W:O:A 2010- rain or shine!

Comment

believed yesterday the CEO of Air Asia, Tony Fernandez said it was a "joke" and that AA will not charge its fare based on pax weight.

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                            believed yesterday the CEO of Air Asia, Tony Fernandez said it was a "joke" and that AA will not charge its fare based on pax weight.
                            ---for the time being---
                            Capslock is cruise control for cool... not!

See you at W:O:A 2010- rain or shine!

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                              We know American won't, what about Air Asia X?

Comment

Working...
                              X