Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just when you think you've seen it all in Thailand...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just when you think you've seen it all in Thailand...

an absolute blinder, even by their standards:

BANGKOK - Thailand's ruling party said Tuesday it was appointing as advisers to the government three leading members of a protest group that was behind a crippling siege of Bangkok's airports last year.

The Democrat Party also rejected fresh calls to sack the foreign minister over his own links to the week-long blockade of the airports in November to December, which caused major damage to the economy.

The appointment of the three members of the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) is a new blow to supporters of ousted former premier Thaksin Shinawatra, whose allies were driven from government partly as a result of the siege.

Suthep Thaugsuban, deputy prime minister and Democrat party secretary general, said the three advisers were "not core leaders but merely joined the PAD to carry out their political movement."

Local press reported that the PAD leaders would be endorsed in a Cabinet meeting on Tuesday.

Samran Rodpetch was expected to be named as secretary to the Science and Technology minister, while Prapanth Koonmee and Phichet Pattanachot would be advisers to the deputy commerce minister and public health minister.

The royalist PAD occupied the airports at the peak of their protest movement against the previous, pro-Thaksin government, stranding hundreds of thousands of foreign travellers and costing the economy billions of dollars.

They abandoned the siege after the Constitutional Court disbanded the former ruling People Power Party on December 2. Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva won a parliamentary vote to become prime minister on December 15.

Thaksin supporters, known as "red shirts" because of their favoured attire, have since held several noisy protests focusing on the role of new foreign minister Kasit Priromya, who regularly delivered speeches at PAD rallies.

Suthep however dismissed threats from Thaksin loyalists to disrupt next month's Association of Southeast Asian Nations summit in Thailand if Kasit is not removed from the government.

"The red-shirt people allege that Kasit is a terrorist, but Kasit is a diplomat who can benefit our national interests," Suthep said.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...402044/1/.html

What standards were you referring to exactly...?

Obviously it's an olive branch to placate the opposition

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
      What standards were you referring to exactly...?
      I am referring to the icredible ability that people in power in Thailand have to do stupid things and f&cking things up. It's something they worked years to perfect and still seem to be able to take to another level.

Obviously it's an olive branch to placate the opposition

I would think that the oppostion will be nothing short of livid about this, as will their red shirted supporters.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
        I am referring to the icredible ability that people in power in Thailand have to do stupid things and f&cking things up. It's something they worked years to perfect and still seem to be able to take to another level.

I would think that the oppostion will be nothing short of livid about this, as will their red shirted supporters.
        that is certainly what i took away from the article as well.

Comment

Working...
        X