X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiger Airways mulls 'vertical seating' option for passengers

Tiger Airways mulls 'vertical seating' option for passengers
    It is looking to cut fares with 'standing only' choice

(MELBOURNE) Singapore-owned Tiger Airways would consider introducing a 'standing-only' option for passengers in a bid to lower airfares.

The low-cost carrier said it could follow in the footsteps of UK budget airline Ryanair and introduce a 'vertical seating' option.

'We continue to look at ways of making our operation more efficient so we can offer even lower fares than we do now,' Tiger Airways director Steve Burns was quoted as saying in the media here.

'Everything we do is about offering the lowest possible fare, then allowing our customers to choose what, if any, extras they wish to pay for.'

Tiger Airways last month announced that a A$10 (S$11.75) charge will apply to passengers who choose to check-in at the airport from July 1.

The fee will apply to travellers with no check-in baggage and can be avoided if they check in online before their flight, the airline said.

Tiger Airways Australia managing director Crawford Rix said the airline wanted to 'reward travellers who use web check-in with our lowest fares'.

'It's about unbundling all the extras and being transparent about all charges to allow customers to tailor their travel needs to their budget.

'With Tiger Airways, you get exactly what you choose to pay for.'

'As airlines have sought to lower costs, they have progressively introduced 'ancillary fees',' the airline's statement said.

Travellers are slugged for checking in luggage, taking along sports equipment such as golf clubs, seat selection, paying by credit card, travelling with infants and to purchase food in flight. -- Bernama

Goodness, I thought only RyanAir would consider such a thing

Comment

oh dear

Comment

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon stanch?
        This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
          Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon stanch?
          With this "seating" arrangement, don't think it will be the crouching tiger stance, more like numb legged tiger stance.

Comment

Well, considering that TigerAirways is partly owned by RyanAir, such influence is somewhat unavoidable...
            Life's A Bitch,
            Love It

If GOD created me for only 1 reason. That reason would be to the love of my wife. If there was any other reasons involved, that would be for the love of Singapore Airlines

Flown with me? - http://my.flightmemory.com/inix

Comment

All tiger are doing is following Ryanair's lead in publishing stupid ideas to get some free publicity. There was an interesting article on the BBC news website recently highlighting some of the practical problems that would have to be overcome before stand up tickets could be offered.

Comment

Who knows? Well, at least we won't complain about our knee caps touching the seats in front of us because of the small pitch.

Comment

Originally posted by UMD View Post
                  Who knows? Well, at least we won't complain about our knee caps touching the seats in front of us because of the small pitch.
                  Or the footwell being too small...

Comment

Isn't RyanAir already charing GBP1 for use of on-board toilets or is that just in the "planning" stage too?

With regards vertical seating..... I don't mind so much if my stool is the one next to the bar! Anyone else want to board a fully licensed A320? At least then i can pass off the bill as a business expense

Comment

Dont think the FAA and European aviation authorities will allow such vertical seating in view of saftey - and also there is a max number of pax due to the max gross weight of the A320s - and secondly any increase of more than the 200 pax squeezed in the A320s will also require additional emergency door exits for the aircraft which is unlikely that it will materialise n the costs involved.

Comment

If it's Tiger Singapore planning it, I don't see it happening as I feel that the conservative CAAS's chance of approving is as much as Tiger buying an A380. Then again, this could apply to all aviation authorities as well.

Comment

I think Tiger should hang their pax with their legs up and only head touching the cabin,like cows in a slaughter house.That way they will be able to fit even more people than standing.
                          Just make the cabin zero gravity so that they dont feel the pull.

Comment

I forsee a mountain of regulatory and compliance issues to climb before this happens.

Don't count on it happening overnight just yet

Comment

even if it suceeds, it is not getting my $

Comment

Working...
                              X