Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arrivals lounge in SIN ?

From http://www.flugrevue.de/index.php?id=4033

"SIA does not have showers in its A380's as Emirates does, but on arrival in Singapore the passenger can then enjoy a comfortable lounge with unlimited water supplies. Comfort is not confined to the aircraft itself, but everything on the ground is optimised too, from check-in to waiting lounge, to baggage reclaim at the destination."

... is there an "arrivals" lounge if you terminate in SIN from an F or J SQ flight?

Hmmm, not that I know of.
    Unless something is in the works.

Comment

No arrivals lounge...

Comment

Even UA has an Arrivals lounge for F pax. Seems odd that SQ doesn't, but then again they do take care of you better then most while up in the air.

Comment

To be fair, I don't really see why Changi needs one.

Such is the incredible efficiency of Changi and size of Singapore that you can be in your Hotel or home in under an hour. As someone who usually stays at the Conrad I am usually in my room less than 30 minutes after disembarking, unless there is a queue for a taxi.

Comment

MAN flyer, let me provoke you.
            If we should judge things from this perspective, probably neither a departure lounge should be needed. And similarly many other perks are not so essentials in many cases.

Personally I think that a traveller paying for C/J or F fares (and i'm including also business trvlr whose ticket are paid by company) shouldn't get only an essential service but a dedicated one with some features which are not strictly necessary but can make your experience memorable.

My .02 $

Cheers

Luke
            There's only One way to fly.... SINGAPORE AIRLINES!
            If SQ is too expensive, the other way to fly is Qatar Airways

Comment

Originally posted by LukeGT View Post
              MAN flyer, let me provoke you.
              If we should judge things from this perspective, probably neither a departure lounge should be needed. And similarly many other perks are not so essentials in many cases.
              Okay then.

I would disagree with that idea, for the simple reason that the needs and requirements of a departure lounge are very different due to the fact that they are used by transfer passengers. Some transfer pax can be arriving on flights that are rather long (18 hours in the case of EWR for example, but there an awful lot of other long flights to and from Changi) and then connecting onto another flight, maybe up to another 8 or 9 if say they were going to AKL, to try and use this as an example. If you pay for a J or F ticket, and do a long trip with a transit at Changi, then you would rightly expect to be able to have a shower.

However, my point that Changi didn't need an arrival lounge was because of how quick you can get to your hotel, or home in the case of residents. Why waste time in an arrival lounge if you could be in your Hotel room in virtually the same amount of time ?. I certainly wouldn't use an arrival lounge.

Having said that, I do stay at the same Hotels, generally where I have status so I never have to wait for a room.

My .02 $

Comment

My .01 $

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                However, my point that Changi didn't need an arrival lounge was because of how quick you can get to your hotel, or home in the case of residents. Why waste time in an arrival lounge if you could be in your Hotel room in virtually the same amount of time ?. I certainly wouldn't use an arrival lounge.
                There are a number of reasons why an arrivals lounge is useful:

* Flights which arrive early in the morning before hotel check-in.

* Eating breakfast in the lounge to maximise sleep time onboard.

* A better quality breakfast compared to anything available in the air.

* Offering (like BA does) a suit pressing service whilst you shower.

* More a gimmick IMO but nevertheless, arrivals spa treatments.

Comment

I agree... sometimes you arrive early morning and need to freshen up before a meeting or outing, and it's good to have maximised sleep on board. These are surely compelling reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post

There are a number of reasons why an arrivals lounge is useful:

* Flights which arrive early in the morning before hotel check-in.

* Eating breakfast in the lounge to maximise sleep time onboard.

* A better quality breakfast compared to anything available in the air.

* Offering (like BA does) a suit pressing service whilst you shower.

* More a gimmick IMO but nevertheless, arrivals spa treatments.
                    I can well understand why BA provide one of these at LHR and why UA provide one at SFO etc. No arguments there.

However, I reiterate that in Singapore I can be in my hotel room in less than 30 minutes, where I get all of the above with one very big added bonus ; a bed to sleep in if I so wish, which no arrival facility I am aware of currently provides.

I accept that there are those who 'must go straight to the office immediately up landing or the multi-national company for which I work will collapse forthwith'....(despite the fact they have coped very well while the same person has been travelling around the world...)....so maybe it would be of value to these sort of VVIPS's.

Comment

However, I reiterate that in Singapore I can be in my hotel room in less than 30 minutes, where I get all of the above
                      With that sort of argument against the airline providing showers and breakfast in a arrivals lounge, they might as well get rid of all of the booze on board as well since you can also get that in your hotel room after the flight.

I accept that there are those who 'must go straight to the office immediately up landing or the multi-national company for which I work will collapse forthwith'....(despite the fact they have coped very well while the same person has been travelling around the world...)....so maybe it would be of value to these sort of VVIPS's.
                      Companies may not collapse but individual transactions have very real deadlines by which deposits get forfeited, offers are withdrawn, security becomes enforceable etc. Not everyone can afford to hang around for hours drinking until a room/shower becomes available rather than sorting everything out at the airport and then getting straight to work.

Comment

With that sort of argument against the airline providing showers and breakfast in a arrivals lounge, they might as well get rid of all of the booze on board as well since you can also get that in your hotel room after the flight.
                        What about those who like to drink at the beginning of a flight, a couple of glasses of wine with their dinner (or a couple bottles of Krug if one is fortunate enough to be in F ) on a flight that could possibly be one that is going to last 6, 8 , 10, 12 ...18 hours ?. That would be rather unfair to take that away from them. Again, if one wants to go on the lash upon arrival (which is not unknown) then this is another benefit of quick access to Hotels.

Companies may not collapse but individual transactions have very real deadlines by which deposits get forfeited, offers are withdrawn, security becomes enforceable etc. Not everyone can afford to hang around for hours drinking until a room/shower becomes available rather than sorting everything out at the airport and then getting straight to work.
                        Well, if people plan tight deadlines on the assumption of arriving on time and trusting traffic in major cities these days, then that's one hell of a gamble and rather poor planning. Is this what these Investment Bankers that have got us in all this trouble have been doing ?.

Besides, as we are actually talking about Singapore here which is very small and has a very efficient airport, even those who are looking at the collapse of their multi-national company if they don't make it to the office in the next few hours will have plenty of time.

Comment

What about those who like to drink at the beginning of a flight, a couple of glasses of wine with their dinner (or a couple bottles of Krug if one is fortunate enough to be in F ) on a flight that could possibly be one that is going to last 6, 8 , 10, 12 ...18 hours ?. That would be rather unfair to take that away from them. Again, if one wants to go on the lash upon arrival (which is not unknown) then this is another benefit of quick access to Hotels.
                          You don't need an arrivals lounge because you can go to a hotel on your own dime and pay for a room/shower.

You don't need alcohol on board because you can go to a hotel on your own dime and pay for alcohol.

What about those who like to drink at the beginning of a flight ?

What about those who like to maximise sleep on the flight and have breakfast afterwards ?

Well, if people plan tight deadlines on the assumption of arriving on time and trusting traffic in major cities these days, then that's one hell of a gamble and rather poor planning. Is this what these Investment Bankers that have got us in all this trouble have been doing ?.
                          You know what they say about the best-laid plans of mice and men...

Besides, as we are actually talking about Singapore here which is very small and has a very efficient airport, even those who are looking at the collapse of their multi-national company if they don't make it to the office in the next few hours will have plenty of time.
                          Plenty of time to quickly freshen up in an arrivals lounge having just walked off SQ317 ?

Comment

You don't need an arrivals lounge because you can go to a hotel on your own dime and pay for a room/shower.
                            Correct. You're paying for the room for your stay anyway, may as well use the shower.

You don't need alcohol on board because you can go to a hotel on your own dime and pay for alcohol.
                            Incorrect. See post above about enjoying a drink early on a long flight.

What about those who like to maximise sleep on the flight and have breakfast afterwards ?
                            They can do that in the Hotel if they are that hungry. Of course, all these super-duper business folk who are about to lose their company if they don't get to the office quick-sticks have no need for food, as they never eat.

Plenty of time to quickly freshen up in an arrivals lounge having just walked off SQ317 ?
                            I am usually in my room by 07.55 from SQ317.

Comment

They can do that in the Hotel if they are that hungry.
                              ... but unfortunately not on SQ's dime. So if you happen to arrive early and:

(i) can check-in then;
                              (ii) get free breakfast (with status) or are happy to shell out; and
                              (iii) have the time,

then the absence of an arrivals lounge makes no difference!

Comment

Working...
                              X