CX (not so) new J and F – finally!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CX (not so) new J and F – finally!!

After successfully avoiding me several times, I finally got to try out CX ‘new’ J and F last week.

Some things I noted about CX longhaul J and F:

J class
    - Seats are very narrow in sitting mode, but it gets better as you recline.
    - I can see why couples travelling together or with young children might find this new product a nightmare, but I don’t mind this at all. After all, I have travelled with my wife/kids separated by an aisle, or in different rows and we are quite okay with those.
    - I don’t know the exact measurements, but seats on the upper deck seem to be significantly roomier in bed mode (shoulder area) compared to the main deck seats. This is perhaps due to the space previously used for the upper deck side bins
    - I love the fact that seat conversion to bed is electric – unlike SQ’s new F and J.
    - IFE is pretty much the same hardware with SQ’s, but perhaps with less selections. SQ’s systems should allow us to go back from the very last page to first page by hitting down button, rather than going back up several pages. CX’s system does this.
    - Food is pretty bad on CX J nowadays – and I don’t think I was just unlucky. It has been consistently not good (at least the main courses).
    - Nice amenity kits for J. They are different for outbound and inbound too.
    - Service on the long haul was excellent, considering only 2 FAs were dedicated to UD J cabin. A couple others helped out up there with the meal service after they were done with their own cabin though.
    - Service on CX regional flights however, is a different thing altogether. I have experienced not-so-great & unpolished service too often the past year. SQ’s inflight service is more consistently good (at least regionally).
    - Overall, very nice J product IMO. Although according to a friend the seats are significantly narrower to other airlines’ herringbone J products, they are just fine for me. No space issues for me – in bed mode the comfort is comparable to SQ J. SQ J still offers a better overall product though (sans the nice amenity kits).

Upper Deck J cabin

My seat – 88A, the emergency exit row seat on the upper deck. With the herringbone layout, not a big advantage over other/non-emex seats.

View from my seat – seat 88K

View from my seat – IFE monitor and controls

View from my seat – forward rows

Another J seat
    Last edited by StarG; 29 March 2009, 11:14 AM.

Dinner
    Smoked salmon with crème fraiche and asparagus
    Mesclun salad served with creamy Italian dressing

Cheese bread

Pan-fried ling fish with chili sauce, steamed jasmine rice and Chinese mixed vegetables

Brunch
    Fresh seasonal fruit

Omelette with creamy mushrooms, back bacon, bubble and squeak and tomato

UD J cabin views

J class amenity kit (ex-HKG) – bag by Agnes B, contents by Murad

J class amenity kit (into-HKG) – bag by Agnes B, contents by Dermalogica

Last edited by StarG; 29 March 2009, 11:13 AM.

Comment

F class
      - Excellent product overall, better than SQ new F IMHO. This one is more spacious, with electrical movement to bed mode.
      - There is a closet in every suite. Plenty of other storage space as well (armrest table, side table, on top of the monitor, magazine rack, etc).
      - I don’t need an enclosed suite to have a private feel in F. This was good enough.
      - 4K is my favorite suite in the house. It is private, and gives me a good overview and ‘feel’ of the F cabin.
      - Bed is sturdy and very comfortable, with the most comfortable duvet in the air.
      - Food was just so so. The only parts I liked were the classic caviar & salmon starter, the soup and the dessert (it is nice to have several dessert options - more than on SQ).
      - Service is as always (in my limited experience) excellent on CX F. Nothing to complain about.
      - Again, very nice & interesting amenity kits on CX F. The Victorinox bag is of the perfect size. I don’t like the contents of the gents kit (Acca Kappa products) though.
      - The Shanghai Tang PJs are black with orange linings.

First Class cabin

My seat – 4K

The part with blue lighting is the suite’s magazine rack + water bottle holder

Last edited by StarG; 29 March 2009, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Supper
        Caviar and fine smoked salmon with Krug grande cuvee

Bread basket

Crayfish bisque – this was actually very good.

Caesar salad with crisp pancetta, pinenuts and parmesan cheese served with caesar dressing

Grilled black Angus tenderloin and shrimp with herb butter, garlic and mashed potatoes, carrots and broccolini

Hazelnut chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream and toffee sauce

First Class washroom – generous space with nice windows

Comment

Suite 4K – bed mode

More serving of the yummy dessert

Breakfast
          Fresh seasonal fruit & orange juice

Then came the bread basket (assorted breakfast bread and fresh toast served with preserves, honey and butter)and tea

Eggs – freshly scrambled, fried or boiled served with your choice of grilled chicken sausage, Canadian ham, hash brown potato, mushroom or Roma tomato

Comment

First Class amenity kits – ladies (left) and gents (right)

Ladies kit with bad from a brand called Ipa Nima

Aesop products in the ladies kit

Gents kit with bag from Victorinox and Acca Kappa skin products

The Pier (HKG) First Class section – it was nice that CX printed an invitation for F lounge in HKG for me even though my connecting flight was in J (no F on the regional flight). I personally prefer The Pier to The Wing.

Comment

Back to CGK on a more familiar airline.

9V-STB as SQ960 SIN-CGK

J cabin was completely full on this flight

Braised ee-fu noodles with prawns, fish, scallops and leafy greens
              Last edited by StarG; 29 March 2009, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Great pix and thanks for posting StarG!

Glad that you finally got to try the CX J. Definitely looks a lot less classy and appealing than the SQ New J.

Comment

Thank you S-Man!

Comment

Nice pics StarG! Thanks for the informative overview.
                    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

none of the pixs work

Comment

Darn, they didn't have those new amenity kit bags when I last flew them over Christmas. Would've been a nice change.

Happy to hear you finally outmaneuvered the new cabin, StarG. I actually preferred the feel in the main deck J class: the double aisle made the cabin (despite the higher number of seats) seem more spacious. I absolutely agree about the lackluster J mains. As you say, CX shines in the dessert offerings.

I also agree that the overall variance in J service seems higher compared to SQ's, and is even more remarkable in Y, where I've travelled with some charmless, almost morose FAs. The most consistently high level of service in J for me has been on the HKG-SIN route: I have always found the cabin crews very engaged and engaging.

I agree that the First cabin was distinctly a memorable experience in terms of ambience and space. Nicely done, CX.
                        ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by StarG View Post
                          - The Shanghai Tang PJs are black with orange linings.
                          How were those PJs? Best ones in the air?
                          HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
                            Great pix and thanks for posting StarG!

Glad that you finally got to try the CX J. Definitely looks a lot less classy and appealing than the SQ New J.
                            Actually I don't mind the design - I love green.
                            But they could have used a better looking, cleaner-looking material in J.

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                            Thank you S-Man!
                            Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                            Nice pics StarG! Thanks for the informative overview.
                            It's my pleasure - glad you both enjoyed it.

Originally posted by fumitani View Post
                            none of the pixs work
                            Don't know why - for some time I couldn't load the pictures either.
                            Seems to be working fine now.

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                            Darn, they didn't have those new amenity kit bags when I last flew them over Christmas. Would've been a nice change.
                            All it takes is another weekend in SIN on TraitorShip, dear Sir jjpb3.

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                            How were those PJs? Best ones in the air?
                            Wouldn't dare to say it is the best in the air, but among those I have experienced so far (SQ/LH/VS/QF) they certainly are the best.

Comment

Ahh, another great CX TR here.

It's a shame you didn't get the new Bally bag for men, StarG.

Comment

Working...
                              X