1st 2015 Trip: Taichung/Taipei on 3K and SQ Business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st 2015 Trip: Taichung/Taipei on 3K and SQ Business

A new year has started and due to some work commitments, I had postponed my earlier planned New Year in Taiwan to mid-Jan. This would be a 6-days trip to both Taichung and Taipei, with the outbound on Jetstar and return via SQ J-Class. Taiwan is a very popular destination for us Singaporeans, with nice weather and scenery, friendly locals, great food and favourable currency exchange (aka value-for-money!).

08 January 2015
    Jetstar Asia
    3k 721
    Singapore (SIN) - Taipei Taoyuan (TPE)
    A320
    9V-JSI
    Budget Class

On the day of departure, we reached arrived at Changi T1 at an ungodly 6am for our 710am departure. Having checked-in online prior, we just needed to drop our bags, but Jetstar's online check-in counters were not manned and the normal counters had snaking queues. However, I realised that Jetstar has started trial on a self-check-in (Step 1) and baggage-drop (Step 2) system and thus used them. Being real unfamiliar with the system, we actually took a while, with the assistance of a Jetstar staff, to self-print our boarding passes and baggage tags, tagged our bags and sent them on their way. In fact we were one of the only few pax using the self-bag-drop as everyone else were unfamiliar with it and apparently half the bag-drop machines were down and waiting for maintenance that morning.... Well, still beats queuing up at the counters and our bags made it to TPE.

Self check-in system printed boarding pass on a slip of paper instead of the traditional type.

Immigration was no hassles, we grabbed a coffee, and proceeded to the gate where boarding has already commenced. Today, our gate was at D46. The flight was actually bound for Osaka via Taipei, but almost all passengers were bound for TPE on this sector. I counted only 4-5 passengers continuing to Osaka from Taipei. Guess most KIX pax originated from TPE, as it must be very painful to fly almost 8hrs on this cramped A320 all the way from SIN.

Sun rising over the horizon as our A320, 9V-JSI, awaits for the day's trip up to Osaka and back via Taipei.

Topped up our water bottles at the gate's drinking fountains (drinking water is chargeable onboard) and proceeded to board. Was warmly welcomed at the door and proceeded to our seats at 20A/C, with 20B remaining empty, luckily. the flight was about 70% full. Initially, I was afraid that this aircraft was fitted with the horrible non-reclinable seats, but apparently Jetstar as scrapped it and refitted the aircraft with normal well-padded reclinable leather seats, albeit with very little recline and horrible legroom. Unfortunately, this aircraft was not fitted with the latest seats which, though less well-padded, offers more generous legroom and recline and is almost similar to what Silkair uses on their new B738s.

View our the window.

Really tight seat pitch. It is even worse from Rows 24 and above. Really salute those pax who survived 8hrs to Osaka in these seats!

Seat Pocket contents.

4 cabin crew on this flight, including a Japanese crew member. All passengers boarded promptly and we were ready to go. However there was some issues with the flight attendant's control monitor which needed some rectification from the engineers, which resulted in a 30min delay. However, the pilot repeatedly assured us that it was a minor problem and the plane is perfectly safe to fly. Also, we would make up considerable time as the flight would be a short 4h10m.

Finally, we pushed back after the problem was fixed, only to be slightly delayed again while holding for a TR plane to be pushed back.

Pushed back.

Taxiing out. Didn't know Jetstar still has an A330 based in SIN since they have scrapped all but MEL for its A330 routes out of SIN.

In order to save some time, we took off from 3/4 down the runway 02C instead of taxiing right to the end. Guess the A320 would not need the entire 4km long runway to get airbourne. Took off at 0752am, 42min behind schedule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6arD-VqJQs

Climbing out over Malaysia.

Post-takeoff announcements and cabin view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru9SCGi0uo8

Leaving the coastline.

Immigration forms for Taiwan were distributed, followed by distribution of pre-booked meals and BOB service. Crew were all Jetstarry casual and friendly, no complaints here.

My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Having a pre-booked meal as well as a SGD10 inflight voucher via our flight bookings, we perused what we could order for meals on this flight. 4 choices of hot meals were available and having a pre-booked meal, we were offered choice ahead of other.

The normal pre-booked inflight meal came with a kit-kat bar, a hot coffee/tea and a bottle of drinking water. As for the inflight voucher, I used it to order another hot meal combo (hot meal+cold drink for SGD14) and a cupcake combo (cupcake+hot drink for SGD6) for an additional SGD10 top-up.

Meal with red velvet cupcake and green tea.

Roti Paratha w/Chicken
    Tender chicken curry and roti paratha, served with omelet triangle garnished with masala
    The chicken curry was not bad, but paratha a bit tough. Well, can't complain for an inflight meal standard.

Chicken Rice
    Steamed fragrant rice with fried onions, roasted chicken and oriental vegetable, served with chilli sauce
    This was also of acceptable standards but would not win awards definitely.

Red-velvet cupcake, kit-kat and hot coffee. Heavenly....

It was rather turbulent for first half of the flight due to, according to the pilot, shifting winds which could not be avoided. We were encouraged to be strapped up even though the seat belt signs were never switched on. Also, we were in the clouds most of the time.

Visit to the lavatory, with nothing more than the necessary. Well, at least it was kept clean.

Cabin view. Most passengers were napping away, including me after the meal.

Weather gradually got better and skies got clearer.

Cabin view from seat. Shortly before descend, another round of BOB service was conducted, but with few takers.

My Travel Map

Comment

Skies clearing up as we were about to start descend.

Starting descend into Taipei.

Slowing down. We had a straight in approach to Rwy 05L.

On finals.

And touchdown on Rwy05L at 1156am, just a minute behind schedule! The flight time was a very short 4h04m from takeoff to landing.

See the approach and very smooth landing here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glIDMbeEpHs

Taxi to the gate at Terminal One of Taoyuan airport.

Parked at the end-most gate.

Disembarking. The flight and cabin crew would be continuing to Osaka, and turnaround would only be a short 20min! Pax bound for Osaka were also required to disembark and obtain transit cards from the ground staff, though I counted only 5 or less.

Immigration was smooth as it was still the quiet part of the day and bags were out soon enough.

It was again a smooth reliable Jetstar flight, with the payable addition of some frills. No complaints, but would not be too eager to fly in one of these cramped seats soon on another mid-haul sector.

My Travel Map

Comment

First thing to do when arriving in Taiwan is of course, eat! The first taste of Taiwan cuisine was this delicious bowl of Hsinchu meatballs and beehoon at TPE Terminal One's food court located at the basement of the departure hall.

We than took a direct 2.5hrs bus ride to Taichung where we would be spending 2 nights. Stayed at Holiday Inn Express Taichung Park, which is located inside a shopping mall.

Room was big and comfortable enough and view was across to Taichung Park.

The hotel was of walking distance to Yizhong St and night market, where we explored on the first night and had our fill of street food.

Second, day, it was exploring the town area. But seriously, there was nothing much to see and do in town except shopping for sun-biscuits and eating.

Row of shops all selling Taichung's famous sun-biscuits.

A famous ice-creamy place offering tons of ice-cream flavours. They have 18 different flavours for chocolate ice-cream alone!!

My Travel Map

Comment

The pastry outlet beside also has very fascinating interior designs.

We then ventured to the outskirts of town to try the famous Urn Chicken.

Then to Taichung's most popular night market, Fengchia Night Market for more street food!

And some comfort food for supper.

My Travel Map

Comment

Very good trip report, ycp81! I enjoyed it lot! I look forward to sharing my upcoming HCMC, Hanoi and Perth trip experiences in due course.

Comment

Great TR ycp81! I am floating the idea of visiting Taiwan again this year and this TR has bolstered that possibility. Keep the food pics coming, they take me back!

Comment

Hey there. Great TR!

I'm also planning a quick weekend trip to Taipei in March with no purpose other than to burn expiring miles and more importantly, fill up my stomach!

Comment

A stroll through Taichung Park on the 3rd day.

Yizhong Street on a Saturday noon. Real crowded!

We discovered this really nice Japanese restaurant at the top floor of Chungyou Mall, serving great and value for money Jap food, with awesome service and view too!

Late afternoon, we travelled northward bound for Taipei. The bus journey was only 2.5hrs on a very comfortable Kuokuang coach, which includes AVOD InBus-entertainment! Kuokuang has buses departing between Taipei to Taichung city centers every 15min and thus is much more convenient than taking the train or high-speed rail.

Our hotel in Taipei is In-house hotel in Ximending area. It is a boutique hotel, but offers excellent rooms! Loved the room furnishing and huge bathroom, plus they offer L'occitane products! Only complaint is that the bed is a bit too hard for our liking.

Being to Taipei countless times, we did not visit the tourist attractions and just spent our time walking around the city and eating.

Taipei 101 at night.

Simple Taiwanese-style dinner.

Hearty local breakfast.

Ximending in the day.

Visit to Jianguo Weekend Flower Market.

My Travel Map

Comment

More food pics of some of the stuff we ate!

Everyone's crazy over this fresh-baked cheesecake stall in Tamshui!

The most famous Tamshui eatery serving Ah Ge (beancurd stuffed with vermicelli), meatballs and fishball soup. Nice!

Our favourite braised pork with rice eatery in the Ximending area, opposite the Red House.

Trying out the newly opened Muji Café.

More street food, this time at Shilin night market.

And my last meal in Taipei before departure.

Finally the day of departure home. We took a taxi to Taoyuan Terminal 2 and arrived for check-in slightly less than 2hrs before departure. Business Class check-in counters were empty and we were checked in immediately.

However there was a snaking queue for economy class check-in. But Economy class ended only around 60% full while Business Class was 25/30.

After immigration and security, which did not take too long a wait, it was to the Silver Kris Lounge for some bites. SQ operates its own lounge in TPE even though it operates only 2x daily flights. Guess they could have just utilized BR's lounge since BR is also a Star-Alliance member.

Was warmly welcomed into the decent-sized lounge and it was still rather empty. However, the lounge gradually filled up later on. Not sure if any other airlines' passengers are using the lounge as well. It was also my second time to this lounge. Not spectacular in anyway (TK's Istanbul Business Lounge has raised the bar too high) but served its practical purposes of offering some refreshments, business and shower facilities.

Bakery, sandwiches and fruits area.

An oriental-style porkrib soup, a western-style soup and a hot dessert.

My Travel Map

Comment

Hot dishes selection. Not too many choices, but most (except the curry puff)were of rather good quality.

Cakes and cookies.

Cold fridge selection of beverages, salads, cut fruit and yoghurt.

Time for bites!

Desserts of black glutunious rice and cheesecake, wrapping up with a cappuccino.

We decided to leave the lounge early and explored the terminal. Interestingly, Taoyuan Airport has a number of themed boarding gates!

Gate C7 is of postal service theme.

Gate C5 is of an e-Library theme.

Gate C4 is of some oriental art design theme.

And the oh-so-famous Gate C3, the Hello Kitty gate!

Complete with Hello Kitty themed wall designs and seats.

And even a children's play area!

My Travel Map

Comment

Enjoyed reading this, ycp81! The food in Taiwan never ceases to amaze me. Got quite hungry looking at all your food pix...

But still don't understand all the hype over Hello Kitty...

Comment

Hello Kitty collectibles shop just beside gate C3.

After seeing what the fuss is about the Hello Kitty themed gate and shop, we proceeded across the terminal to the D gates where our flight has just commenced boarding. Out the windows, there were mainly BR 77Ws spotted only at the tarmac around the C gates.

13 January 2015
                          Singapore Airlines
                          SQ 879
                          Taipei Taoyuan (TPE) - Singapore (SIN)
                          A330-300
                          9V-STD
                          Business Class

Our flight would be departing from Gate D6, which is a Hakka-themed gate. Boarding has just commenced and we were required to go down one level to board the aircraft.

9V-STD would be operating the flight.

Boarded the aircraft and was warmly welcomed with the usual SQ pleasantries. SQ's A330s are fitted with the regional Business Class seat and have been reviewed countless times, so I shall not dwell too much on its functions.

Picture of our seats 14A/C, taken just before disembarkation.

Settled into my seat.

Welcome drinks were offered shortly after we got settled down and I chose the Tattinger champagne. Hot towels and selection of newspapers and magazines were also offered.

The J-Class cabin gradually filled up and soon boarding was completed. Our Book-The-Cook options were also confirmed by the Inflight Supervisor, who also introduced himself. Expecting the high Business Class loads today to be a chore for the usual 3 cabin crew, I was surprised that there were actually 5 cabin crew assigned to serve in Business Class today! Apparently, as I found out later, there were extra trainee cabin crew on this flight.

The month's Silver Kris, KrisShop and Krisworld magazines.

Doors were closed and armed, and we actually pushed back earlier than our scheduled departure time. Safety video was played.

My Travel Map

Comment

CI B77W taxied by.

Had a rather short taxi to Rwy05L and without much wait, we departed right on schedule to Singapore. Flight time was a rather long 4h35m, but ended up slightly longer due to lower flying speeds with the turbulence encountered enroute.

Video of takeoff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1le7APXu2ao

Making a U-turn back.

Climbing above the clouds and into the sunset.

After takeoff announcements and a view of the Business Class cabin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7RrPMmcSTM

Service started with the distribution of socks and eyeshades.

Phitek headphones were already placed in the magazine racks.

Started watching a local comedy production starring Sandra Ng and Mark Lee, "A Perfect Ghost Wedding". This film was rated M18 in Singapore due to the theme, but was actually "recommended" in the Krisworld magazine haha.

Our post-takeoff drinks were served, where I received my earlier ordered Jubilee Lining cocktail.

Made a quick visit to the lavatory, which was stocked with the usual SQ amenities.

Returning to my seat, with the satay service just starting.

A look at the menu.

Selection on the inbound SQ878 SIN-TPE flight.

My Travel Map

Comment

And the dinner menu for our SQ879 sector.

Satay was served. 2 sticks of chicken and 1 stick of lamb each.

However, after the satay was cleared, it was at this moment that moderate turbulence started, and service had to be suspended for almost an hour. According to the pilot, the bad turbulence was due to shifting winds and thus to minimise the effect, we were only flying at a low 31,000ft due to expected worse conditions at higher altitudes. For the safety of the crew, the captain decided that meal service to be suspended till the turbulence weakens. However, personally I did not feel the turbulence to be too bad as I had encountered worse on my previous SIN-JNB flight.

Due to the expected suspension of meal service for some time, the crew came by and offered Haagen Daz ice-cream (presumably from economy class) to us while waiting for the turbulence to die down and meal service to resume. Rather proactive here!

After almost more than half hour, meal service resumed and crew rapidly distributed the meals. Luckily, with 5 crew serving us in Business Class, service was faster than usual as compared to a normal SQ flight. As this was a A330 regional flight, meal trays were distributed instead of the tray-less service on the long-haul flights.

Decided to have some Riesling with my meal, but was surprised that no Riesling was available in Business Class on this flight, but only in Economy. Instead, we had a choice of French or Australian chardonnays. The stewardess offered to bring me some from Economy, but I decided to stick with the Australian chardonnay.

Alcoholic beverages list.

Meal tray with starter and bakery items. I chose garlic bread and lavosh. The garlic bread was very dry, but guessed as the bakery items were heated earlier but due to service suspension and could not be served, most of them had dried up.

Peppered smoked duck breast with dried apricot compote.
                              This starter was rather tasty.

For the mains, we had both Booked-The-Cook, and was glad to do so as none of the menu mains seemed appealing and with the heavy load, there was a high chance that our preferred selection might not be available.

Our selections were:

Cod fillet with citrus saffron cream sauce
                              Pan seared cod fillet with citrus saffron cream sauce, sundried tomato couscous and buttered vegetables.

Seared lamb loin with jus
                              Seared lamb loin with jus, crushed pea with mint, leek and olive oil mashed potato. Designed by Singapore Airlines International Culinary Panel Chef Alfred Portale.

The cod fillet was decent though a tad dry, but the asparagus were still crunchy. The lamb loin was surprisingly tender and flavourful, but I am not a fan of the crushed pea. However, both mains were not bad overall.

After the mains were cleared, we were offered dessert. As we had ice-cream earlier, both of us went for the cake instead, which was just ok as I don't think that fig is a good accompaniment to chocolate.

Chocolate layer cake with dried fig compote and passionfruit sauce.

We were already halfway through the flight by the dessert course.

My Travel Map

Comment

Working...
                              X