Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *A RTW YQ/YR ripoff

Hello,

Would appreciate some feedback on whether this is really the case.

Last year I purchased a 29000 STAR1 RTW ticket (valid for 1 year). The main reason I purchase this ticket is for the flexibility - I fully expect to reroute it and am happy to pay the $125 for this. The issue is that they recalculate the "taxes" when you reroute. I rerouted and was told that it would be $125 fee plus $600 in additional taxes. This sounded crazy as essentially I was flying to the same number of airports/stops. I asked for a breakdown of the taxes and found that the culprits were the additional YQ/YR surcharges (which are fuel/security surcharges levied by the airlines). It sounds crazy that they can advertise a rerouting fee of $125 and then hit you with a stealth fare increase. Should the agent really have recalculated the YQ/YR when rerouting?

Secondly I changed carrier from NRT to BKK (from SQ to TG). There was no rerouting fee as the route stayed the same, but they again charged me an additional $75 for Thai YR taxes.

This seems to cancel all the benefits (flexibility) of having the damn RTW ticket in the first place.

Can someone please clarify this is indeed standard practice and I haven't been taken to the cleaners?

Thanks!

A reissue usually involves a reprice, and a reroute, will always = a reissue.

I think.

Comment

Welcome to SQTalk, jimjams88!
      Welcome to the world of repricing, reissuance and recalculation YQ-YR.

Comment

Another problem is currency fluctuations if you're not buying in USD. The USD gaining so much value in recent times means that a lot of YQ/YR surcharges which are priced in dollars cost a lot more now, unless the airlines have lowered the surcharge at the same time. The NH longhaul YQ surcharge of US$330 used to be £170 when 1.9 USD-GBP, but now £220 with 1.5 USD-GBP. That's £50 more in not very many months, while sitting perfectly still!

For example, I just thought about moving a reward flight onto NH after seeing space, but now, at 1.5 USD - 1 GBP, that's basically £220, which is £150 more than OZ which I currently have. As much as I love NH, their flight is not worth £150 more in YQ than OZ!

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I suppose I thought that the YQ-YR shouldn't be included in the recalculation - just the airport taxes. But clearly the consensus is that they are..

On my previous RTW tix I never had this problem- there was only the $125 reissue fee and no extra charge for the taxes. So I was quite shocked to see this extra $600 suddenly appear.

There must be some campaign somewhere for the airlines to drop YQ-YR surcharges. It is such a sneaky hidden charge.

Comment

Does anyone remember at what oil price did the airlines start this YQ thing?
            I hope they will someday go away. Back to just airfare + taxes.

Comment

This problem was never there in the good old days when paper tickets were around... E-tickets suck...

Comment

Working...
              X