SQTalk  

Go Back   SQTalk > Singapore Airlines > All About Singapore Airlines

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th October 2019, 06:32 PM   #61
saobangpo
SQTalk Elite Silver
 
Join Date: 20-Jul-2009
Posts: 78
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
They could use MAD as a gateway to South America. There’s huge traffic to multiple South American destinations from Madrid. Another option would be East Coast destinations like MIA or MCO
that does seem like a very logical move - sq can't just be playing catch-up to cx in the americas

although cx is not exactly in an enviable position given its current predicament at its homebase
saobangpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2019, 02:46 PM   #62
inkoherent
SQTalk Elite Silver
 
inkoherent's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-Jan-2008
Location: SIN
Posts: 89
Default

BRU perhaps? Not a big market in its own right and perhaps too close to AMS, but SN does have a good network to Africa that SQ could tap on.
inkoherent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2019, 02:20 AM   #63
maxc_20
SQTalker
 
Join Date: 28-Sep-2017
Location: CGK/TPE
Posts: 45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkoherent View Post
BRU perhaps? Not a big market in its own right and perhaps too close to AMS, but SN does have a good network to Africa that SQ could tap on.
Star Alliance partner Thai seems to be doing well on BKK-BRU, they will add 6th weekly flight starting on October 28th. In my opinion, Africa's connection markets are small considering it's a huge detour compared to taking gulf carriers or Ethiopian. However, EU headquarters located in Brussels, so there must be some market for SQ here. 4-5 weekly A359 will do.
maxc_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2019, 03:33 AM   #64
SQ228
SQTalk Life Solitaire PPS
 
Join Date: 16-Dec-2010
Location: Currently MEL, sometimes DUS
Programs: KF Pleb
Posts: 2,821
Default

I think part of SQ’s success with Euro routes has been the LH joint venture, with the two of them managing to keep so much capacity going on SIN-MUC together on what previously had been a softer market for SQ. The FRA-JFK sector which looked a bit unhealthy a few years back seems to now be doing fine even filling all the extra Y capacity in the ver. 1 A380 mid-week when I was on it a week or so ago.

A lot of this seems to be SQ developing their German customer base and investing in having a lot more German-speaking crew than they had in the past, when sometimes they would get by with pre-recorded announcements. Whether that success can be replicated outside of the LH JV, I’m not sure.
SQ228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2019, 11:08 AM   #65
SQ025
SQTalk PPS Club
 
SQ025's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-Aug-2012
Posts: 252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxc_20 View Post
Star Alliance partner Thai seems to be doing well on BKK-BRU, they will add 6th weekly flight starting on October 28th.
TG is neither flying to AMS nor DUS. I believe if SQ would add BRU they would need to shed either DUS or AMS.
SQ025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2019, 11:16 AM   #66
SQ025
SQTalk PPS Club
 
SQ025's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-Aug-2012
Posts: 252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ228 View Post
A lot of this seems to be SQ developing their German customer base and investing in having a lot more German-speaking crew than they had in the past, when sometimes they would get by with pre-recorded announcements. Whether that success can be replicated outside of the LH JV, I’m not sure.
Crew members which can speak the local language (be it Korean, Japanese, Hindi, you name it) and announcemnt in that language onboard (either from tape or in person) are the standard on all SQ flights. Nothing special being done on flights to/from Germany.
If you would compare LH and SQ in terms of quality you would understand why Germany has a large SQ customer base.
SQ025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2019, 01:02 PM   #67
flyguy
SQTalk Solitaire PPS
 
Join Date: 21-Dec-2006
Posts: 1,647
Default

SIA have not even aggressive in really adding destinations over the past decade and many are from Silkair to SQ or vv and any new additions maybe just an add on to existing ie Canberra. Think only new destinations is to SEA.
flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2019, 03:38 PM   #68
Jumbojet Lover
SQTalk PPS Club
 
Jumbojet Lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: 26-Dec-2009
Programs: Krisflyer, TrueBlue, Flying Blue, AAdvantage
Posts: 553
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy View Post
SIA have not even aggressive in really adding destinations over the past decade and many are from Silkair to SQ or vv and any new additions maybe just an add on to existing ie Canberra. Think only new destinations is to SEA.
DUS
CBR
WLG
ARN
SEA

...to name a few. And a tag-on is still adding a new destination, even if it's not non-stop to Singapore. Those destinations most likely do not have sufficient traffic for a standalone non-stop, so a tag-on still allows SQ to serve the market rather than not at all. It also allows SQ to stimulate and grow the market and hopefully serve it non-stop some day. When SQ started Moscow, it was via Dubai before later switching to non-stop and connecting Houston, then Stockholm.

That being said, I think the days of aggressive expansion to new stations for SQ itself may be over. The market has changed no thanks to low-cost carriers and Middle Eastern super-connectors, so SQ has had to shift their growth strategy to Scoot, so at least the SIA group still grows and remains profitable overall. Don't forget that SQ has a profitability record to maintain which unfortunately translates to more conservative business decisions like incremental additions of new destinations.
Jumbojet Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2019, 11:38 PM   #69
SQ228
SQTalk Life Solitaire PPS
 
Join Date: 16-Dec-2010
Location: Currently MEL, sometimes DUS
Programs: KF Pleb
Posts: 2,821
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ025 View Post
Crew members which can speak the local language (be it Korean, Japanese, Hindi, you name it) and announcemnt in that language onboard (either from tape or in person) are the standard on all SQ flights. Nothing special being done on flights to/from Germany.
If you would compare LH and SQ in terms of quality you would understand why Germany has a large SQ customer base.
Definitely agree with you on that. Being a frequent traveller to all of SQ’s German ports over the last decade, I have definitely noticed greater dedication to speaking German on the flights, however. They have a minimum of two per flight and they announce their names and invite German speakers to request their assistance. I know there’s always a base level of service but since they LH JV I’ve certainly witnessed them really step it up.
SQ228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2019, 04:48 PM   #70
sbs2716g
SQTalk PPS Club
 
Join Date: 08-Nov-2016
Posts: 370
Default

SQ starting Vancouver? Or maybe just advertisement for Seattle flight

They have a Facebook post yesterday asking whether going to Vancouver in Canada or Washington.

https://www.facebook.com/6352578678/...133679?sfns=mo
sbs2716g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2019, 08:47 PM   #71
wlgspotter
SQTalk Elite Gold
 
Join Date: 28-May-2007
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Programs: SQ, NZ, QF, VA, UA, AA
Posts: 180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbs2716g View Post
SQ starting Vancouver? Or maybe just advertisement for Seattle flight

They have a Facebook post yesterday asking whether going to Vancouver in Canada or Washington.

https://www.facebook.com/6352578678/...133679?sfns=mo
I saw that too and also wondered whether are they dropping about starting YVR, although the post shows one can get to both “Vancouver” in Canada or Washington state quite easily from Seattle, and at the same distance too, so it could well be advertising Seattle as you indicated.
wlgspotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2019, 12:48 AM   #72
yuuka_miya
SQTalk Elite Gold
 
Join Date: 22-Nov-2018
Programs: KF nothing
Posts: 211
Default

Most probably just advertising SEA.

Looks like the euphoria has worn off, I'm tracking prices for an upcoming trip in late April and the SEA direct has become pretty attractive in terms of pricing. Searching for SIN-SFO on Google Flights also throws up the SEA flight with an Alaska codeshare SEA-SFO, likewise for SIN-LAX.

On a related note, pay $15 more and switch from SQ32 Y to SQ34 PE? Really?
__________________
an infrastructure geek
yuuka_miya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2019, 10:05 PM   #73
sbs2716g
SQTalk PPS Club
 
Join Date: 08-Nov-2016
Posts: 370
Default

Singapore n South Korea have just concluded the Open Sky Agreement. Allowing more flights (including fifth freedom flights). So What are the option of fifth freedom flight for SQ? Vancouver? Toronto? Chicago?
sbs2716g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2019, 01:03 AM   #74
yuuka_miya
SQTalk Elite Gold
 
Join Date: 22-Nov-2018
Programs: KF nothing
Posts: 211
Default

I doubt SQ will be running any more 5th freedoms in the foreseeable future, so this is really going to benefit the budget airlines.

Scoot could perhaps do YVR or even LAS, but I'd argue they have a lot more to handle in Europe first...
__________________
an infrastructure geek
yuuka_miya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2019, 01:51 AM   #75
maxc_20
SQTalker
 
Join Date: 28-Sep-2017
Location: CGK/TPE
Posts: 45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbs2716g View Post
Singapore n South Korea have just concluded the Open Sky Agreement. Allowing more flights (including fifth freedom flights). So What are the option of fifth freedom flight for SQ? Vancouver? Toronto? Chicago?
Vancouver is unlikely to be operated via South Korea as it's within the range for the normal LR A350, besides SQ has just launched route to nearby Seattle. Chicago is rumored to be another A350ULR route which is more likely given that there are more free ULRs due to SFO and LAx frequency and equipment adjustments, but a route with normal A350 via ICN is possible although the chances are low.

I'm seeing Scoot to take advantage of this open sky policy by doing South Korea routes via a third country, SIN-DMK-ICN to complement their SIN-TPE-ICN and maybe launching Busan/Jeju via TPE.

Last edited by maxc_20; 24th November 2019 at 01:57 AM..
maxc_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sia, singapore airlines

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 07:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Techadmin: Luke | Hosting: www.lomag.net