No announcement yet.

ARN to SYD flight questions - Master Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In my experience they are normally on time. However sometimes there are delays or the flight is extra long due to headwinds which can lead to late arrival. But I don't think I have ever known it to be later than 30 minutes (although of course I'm sure now and again this does happen),

Comment

chrloc
      did a quick check on *A timetable. ARN-ATH-SIN seems to be the best match in terms of least flying time but that is not a daily flight between ATH-SIN. Re-reading your post, can I assume that you have sufficient points to fly to IST. You can then connect to TK direct to SIN which is a night flight (6 flights a week). If you prefer to fly SQ, then ZRH gives the best option. Ditto to avoiding LHR, CDG. As you are transferring from European flight to Intercontinental and with 3 kids, best to avoid the nightmare of inter-terminal transfers and risk losing your luggage and kids. Yes, most airline will check your luggage through to final destinations. TK flies A330 while SQ is on 773 between IST and SIN.
      there's nothing more rewarding than flying for free, is there??

Comment

Delays on SQ 308 up to LHR??

Maybe a difficult question to answer, but I wonder;

How often is SQ 308 (should arrive 15.05) to LHR delayed?

I am trying to calculate how much time we need at LHR to collect luggage etc and then board a flight up to ARN. This flight will be on a second booking and on Eurobonus points, so if we miss it, we have to buy new tickets.

Comment

Why not check in for both flights at SIN? You don't mention which airline you're with for the second flight but I think only BA & SAS fly this route... both of which you can do through check in from SIN. That way you don't have to get your bags, re-check them in etc.... simply proceed to the transfers area.

See https://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_...n/internet.jsp

Which airlines does Singapore Airlines have through check-in agreements with?
          Singapore Airlines has through check-in agreements with the following airlines. You will not be able to perform internet check-in on your Singapore Airlines flight if it is preceded by any of these partner airlines:
          Adria Airways (JP)
          Aer Lingus (EI)
          Air Canada (AC)
          Air India (AI)
          Air New Zealand (NZ)
          American Airlines (AA)
          ANA (NH)
          Asiana (OZ)
          Austrian Airlines (OS)
          Blue1 (KF)
          bmi (BD)
          British Airways (BA)
          Continental Airlines (CO)
          Croatia Airlines (OU)
          Delta Air Lines (DL)
          Dragonair (KA)
          Emirates (EK)
          KLM Royal Dutch Airlines (KL)
          Lufthansa (LH)
          LOT Polish Airlines (LO)
          Mexicana (MX)
          Philippines Airlines (PR)
          Qantas Airways (QF)
          Scandinavian Airlines (SK)
          Silkair (MI)
          South African Airways (SA)
          Spanair (JK)
          Swiss International Air Lines (LX)
          Thai Airways (TG)
          United Airlines (UA)
          US Airways (US)
          Varig Brasil (RG)
          Virgin Atlantic Airways (VS)
          matt_will_fix_it

Comment

Originally posted by matt_will_fix_it View Post
            Why not check in for both flights at SIN? You don't mention which airline you're with for the second flight but I think only BA & SAS fly this route... both of which you can do through check in from SIN. That way you don't have to get your bags, re-check them in etc.... simply proceed to the transfers area.

See https://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_...n/internet.jsp
            We are flying SK LHR-ARN on bonus points, so it should work to check in through. SQ 308 should land 15.05 and I was thinking SK leaving at 17.55 should be OK.
            I read in another forum that staff at ARN are not to keen on checking luggage through the whole way...

Comment

Originally posted by chrloc View Post
              I read in another forum that staff at ARN are not to keen on checking luggage through the whole way...
              This has got nothing to do with ARN staff anymore - it's SQ who'll accept responsibility and the luggage - so rest easy

Comment

Given the risks involved and consequences of misconnect (LHR, separate tickets, award) I'd look for a bigger connection time if possible. In normal circumstances 2:50 is fine.

Comment

I think SQ321 was delayed for more than one hour on 8 Dec, hence my flight to PER (SQ215) was delayed till 8.35pm..

Comment

Which day is the least fully booked?

As some of you know by now I am planning a trip ARN-LHR-SIN-SYD in Feb/March.

Which day of the week is the least fully booked=most empty seats on:

1. LHR-SIN-SYD (Probably SQ321 + SQ219)

2. SYD-SIN-LHR (Probably SQ222 + SQ308)

Thanks,

Tina

Comment

Originally posted by Lobster View Post
                      Yeah I really think since T5 opened LHR has become much better in terms of efficiency (although I can not talk about transfering as I am always starting or finishing there). The old terminals are still total dumps but as far as security and immgration lines go I have not had to wait more than 10 minutes at all this year. Even luagge seems to be arriving at the carousel quicker as well.
                      I've transited at T5 on three occassions and all have been very smooth. On two of them, they were going from international to UK domestic flights and on both times it took less than 25 minutes to clear all procedures and into the airside departure area. The other was going UK domestic to international which was without a doubt even smoother.

So yes there is plenty to look foward to for connecting in LHR. Though that really only applies if one is connecting within BA and within T5 which was what I did on all of those 3 transits.
                      My Past, Present, Future Flights (Flights from March 2007 to Present to Future)

Comment

As some of you know by now I am planning a trip ARN-LHR-SIN-SYD in Feb/March.

Which day of the week is the least fully booked=most empty seats on:

1. LHR-SIN-SYD (Probably SQ321 + SQ219)

2. SYD-SIN-LHR (Probably SQ222 + SQ308)

Thanks,

Tina
                        You are on kangaroo route. So February and March would be sort of peak period.
                        SQ321 is A380 which is good. I mean new plane with the latest IFE. I would think that you should not travel when most of business travellers flying. Perhaps Monday or Tuesday would have less load.

And you are planning for SQ219 the next morning after arriving at Changi previous night? If I were you, I would stay in the hotel in the city and take SQ221 in the evening. Worth the one night hotel rate. And yes, you can have good time in Singapore while adjusting with the hot weather.

From SYD-SIN, in general weekend would be busy. And I know you take another A380. That would be a wise choice. In the weekend there is 77W in March, but departs 7am from SYD.

Of course, for SIN-LHR, I would rather be on A380 SQ 318 or SQ 322. But of course, SQ322 has better connection to ARN, while SQ318 requires you to stay overnight at LHR.
                        I know we all love 744, i.e. SQ308. But it gets too old nowdays.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
                          You are on kangaroo route. So February and March would be sort of peak period.
                          SQ321 is A380 which is good. I mean new plane with the latest IFE. I would think that you should not travel when most of business travellers flying. Perhaps Monday or Tuesday would have less load.

And you are planning for SQ219 the next morning after arriving at Changi previous night? If I were you, I would stay in the hotel in the city and take SQ221 in the evening. Worth the one night hotel rate. And yes, you can have good time in Singapore while adjusting with the hot weather.

From SYD-SIN, in general weekend would be busy. And I know you take another A380. That would be a wise choice. In the weekend there is 77W in March, but departs 7am from SYD.

Of course, for SIN-LHR, I would rather be on A380 SQ 318 or SQ 322. But of course, SQ322 has better connection to ARN, while SQ318 requires you to stay overnight at LHR.
                          I know we all love 744, i.e. SQ308. But it gets too old nowdays.
                          Thanks for all your advice.
                          Yes outbound we are planning to stay in SIN for 3 nights. (I love SIN!) Then I wanted to take the SQ219 at 09.40 SIN-SYD to avoid another night flight.
                          So many things to consider, but will be so nice once we are on our way.
                          /Tina

Comment

Thanks for all your advice.
                            Yes outbound we are planning to stay in SIN for 3 nights. (I love SIN!) Then I wanted to take the SQ219 at 09.40 SIN-SYD to avoid another night flight.
                            So many things to consider, but will be so nice once we are on our way.
                            /Tina
                            Isn't it a reality in life that so many things to consider? Like for some of us here, too many men too little time!
                            It's wonderful to hear that you are thinking of staying 3 nights in Singapore. I would suggest to fly from London on Thursday. Arrives in Singapore on Friday. Have 3 nights. And many big hotels generally offer weekend package. Better value for the money. And yes, of course too many more things to consider.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
                              Isn't it a reality in life that so many things to consider? Like for some of us here, too many men too little time!
                              It's wonderful to hear that you are thinking of staying 3 nights in Singapore. I would suggest to fly from London on Thursday. Arrives in Singapore on Friday. Have 3 nights. And many big hotels generally offer weekend package. Better value for the money. And yes, of course too many more things to consider.
                              OK, great, thanks again.

Comment

Book on SQ´s homepage or travel agent

What will I miss if I buy my ticket (Economy) from a travel agent (in the UK) rather than buying a ticket on SQ´s homepage?

Internet check in?
                                The ability to choose my seat?
                                Other things...?

Comment

Working...
                                X