Photo Viewer Function on New KrisWorld

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo Viewer Function on New KrisWorld

On a side note, I tried the Photo Viewer function on the new Y IFEs on the 77Ws and A380 respectively with my USB plugged in and it barely loads. The system could only load the first photo in the folder for the flight on the 77W but the first photo didn't even show on the A380 flight. The size of the photos were about 2MB each and I waited for a good 15mins for each instance before I gave up and stuck to movies instead.

Is it due to the size of the photos or is there something wrong with the system?
    -z.h.i.w.e.n-

I'm not sure in which way this picture upload 'hog' was impeded by something residing on this type of system. This sounds like difficulties during the media or extended media loading process to the fileserver. There are several problems reported on carriers using the Panasonic eX2 IFE system. But in this case of a 'delayed' media loading process ( from USB) sounds like the media-loader client software might be of influence. And did you experience any delay in all sorts of media loading?. But given the scarce details you've described ; its very hard to isolate its origin and you should inquire any crewmember or groundstaff to address this.

There are fundamental differences on the eX2 IFE system architectures.
    Systems that support 300+ PAX complemented with aircraft interface system, ethernet switches, content servers and there is a system that's capable of handling 600+ PAX with added media, extended disk array's and file server capacity. I do not know if the eX2 system are identical on both SQ's 77W and A380's.

Did the crew fixed the problem by any form of zonal resets, seat resets or was there any IFE system reset activity conducted in the air at all ? There are a myriad of causes...

Comment

The photo application work within the seat and has nothing to do with the server capacity of the IFE system.

Your problem could be due to some compatibility issue of your USB memory stick and the application. Some cameras could even be connected onto the USB port and the application read the contents on the fly.

(Audio)
      ________
      Mercedes-Benz 260 D specifications
      Last edited by Audio; 4 February 2011, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Hi Audio,

I did not imply that fileserver capacity might be the cause of all of this. All seats does indeed have inseat computers (seatbox) which interrogates with the so-called 'head-end'-server/content. Every seat monitor has about 1gb of flash memory for storage of all sorts of data/apps.

If usb memory stick compatibility is the issue here why did the picture not load on the A380 seat monitor. USB1.1 or USB2.0 ? ..media loading should therefore not be a problem somehow; specially on the A380 mentioned by 'zhiw3n'

Comment

Thanks everyone for your inputs! I didn't think it was a big issue so I didnt approach any of the crew for assistance on this. In any case, I wasn't sure if they could do much more anyway. Perhaps I'll try again on my return flight on the 77W with smaller-sized photos in a different USB. =)
          -z.h.i.w.e.n-

Comment

Hi,

How many photos did you have in the USB? I tried with a few photos (large ones) and they work fine. Too many photos (and big ones) might take long to load.

Comment

I plugged in my USB hard disk...didn't recognise it heh

Comment

Dear Tim,

The USB standard for the eX2 system is 2.0.

USB memory stick compatibility goes beyond just mere IFE systems, why I even have problems accessing any USB memory stick that have the embedded U3 thingy on my laptop.

(Audio)
                ________
                headshop
                Last edited by Audio; 4 February 2011, 01:25 PM.

Comment

I'll test this out when I'm flying to Tokyo. I have the niggling suspicion its due to the NTFS support issue...
                  Life's A Bitch,
                  Love It

If GOD created me for only 1 reason. That reason would be to the love of my wife. If there was any other reasons involved, that would be for the love of Singapore Airlines

Flown with me? - http://my.flightmemory.com/inix

Comment

nay NTFS is a no-no, think must be FAT...

Comment

Working...
                    X