Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jhm View Post
    phaleesy can confirm later when she reads this but IIRC she's thinking of:

MAD-HAV-SCL-(LA operated by AM)-MEX-(JL)-YVR-(CX)-JFK and then on CX to Asia via Canada IIRC
    Does this work ?
    You're so forgetful! I said
    ICN-NRTx-SIN-BOM-LHR-MCT-LHR-IST-LHR-MAD-HAV-MEX-YVR-JFK-YYZ-HKG-ICN

Purchasing one extra segment for europe/middle east. Maybe cheaper to buy a return MAD-LHR. Would check first.

Can you avoid the surface sector by taking the JL codeshare on TN PPT-NRT ? Or is the problem with this that the whole continent - SWP - is then wasted and therefore not economical ?
    I think what Kiwi meant is that it's not economical because the whole continent is wasted.

So there's no cheap way of getting to NZ or Aus from Tahiti to continue with the SW continent then.

[QUOTE=jhm;89769IIRC, this flight is what she wants. When you say this, do you mean that it may not be possbile to take QF ?
    [/QUOTE]

It is possible to take QF. The flight is listed as available on both expertflyer and the oneworld rtw tool.

Kiwi, why is ticketing with LAN a hassle?

KeithMEL, would your TA be able to ticket on LAN?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
      You're so forgetful! I said
      Which OW airline flies HAV-MEX and JFK-YYZ ?

Comment

Which OW airline flies HAV-MEX and JFK-YYZ ?
        Was in a rush. Should be
        ICN-NRTx-SIN-BOM-LHR-MCT-LHR-IST-LHR-MAD-HAV (surface) MEX-YVR-JFK-YYZ-HKG-ICN.

Kiwi mentioned LAN. I checked Expert and OW tool, flights are bookable.
        So with this small segment on LAN, could I get my ticket issued with them?

Comment

Kiwi, why is ticketing with LAN a hassle?

KeithMEL, would your TA be able to ticket on LAN?

Thanks!
          Massive apologies for the delay in replying. Have not had internet access the past couple of days due to rip off hotel internet prices.

Ticketing with LAN is a hassle because LAN manages to mess up the simplest things, let alone "weird products" like xONEx. It's easy to underestimate the amount of work that goes into organising/ticketing one of these things, but it's a lot of labour for relatively little financial return. Even the popular ticketing carriers like AA and CX make errors from time to time, or are keen to pass the buck.

I am not sure if my TA is able to ticket on LAN. She told me that she usually tickets on the first carrier by default but she was able to issue on AA document when I asked her to. She might be reluctant if you've not got major LA segments (i will take a closer look at your itinerary when I have more time), but it can't hurt asking. I have a feeling that she builds the Price Quote Record herself instead of queueing it to the airline tariffs desk so there's really nothing stopping her from ticketing on LAN.

She does charge a service fee of KRW30 000 for changes after ticketing. In theory you could change the ticket with the carrier itself for free, but when that carrier is LAN I'd suggest going back to the TA for any change.
          All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

phaleesy can confirm later when she reads this but IIRC she's thinking of:

MAD-HAV-SCL-(LA operated by AM)-MEX-(JL)-YVR-(CX)-JFK and then on CX to Asia via Canada IIRC

Does this work ?
            Only works if HAV is a transit because SCL is in south america. While you can visit north america twice on xONEx, one of them must be transit to or from south america.

Can you avoid the surface sector by taking the JL codeshare on TN PPT-NRT ? Or is the problem with this that the whole continent - SWP - is then wasted and therefore not economical ?
            Codeshares on non oneworld flights are not allowed.

IIRC, this flight is what she wants. When you say this, do you mean that it may not be possbile to take QF ?

TIA again!
            I wasn't 100% sure the flight has 5th freedom, and of course there is always a possibility flight won't exist by time ticketed.

Comment

LAN are pretty disorganised. It usually takes me a few goes to get stuff ticketed. Then if schedules change they don't bother getting in touch. I've had them rebook me on negative connections - they didn't notice and didn't care to let me know. It was only my frequent checking that picked it up and insisted on change to something that is actually possible to fly.

Comment

Obama Allowing Travel, Money Transfers to Cuba

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                Though Congress is debating this issue now, so it shouldn't last too much longer.
                That implies that I should go to Cuba quick before the 'invasion' starts.

Seriously, Cuba is attractive to me at present only because it seems to be in a time warp. I want to capture that before it all changes.
                Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
                FWIW I too want to visit before opened up to North Americans. However I don't think the current talk will lead to rapid change in the rule - so I figure I have at least another year.
                Sorry guys. Confirmed today:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090413/ap_on_bi_ge/us_cuba
                HUGE AL

Comment

Only Cuban Americans for the moment. I doubt travel restrictions for all Americans and trade embargo would be lifted within the next year.

If it does, all my planning for the rtw would be all for naught! I could still choose not to get my ticket issued, since QF is waiting for my credit card and passport details.

In which case, I must rush to get a AF ticket to Cuba before the end of this year!

Comment

...all my planning for the rtw would be all for naught!
                    I think it is as my understanding is that this applies to ALL Americans.
                    HUGE AL

Comment

They could be wrong but I'm reading the BBC as saying otherwise ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7997063.stm

US President Barack Obama has lifted some restrictions that will allow Cuban Americans to travel more freely to Cuba, his spokesman has said. [...]

Comment

I've searched and found both groups referenced. As most Americans have no idea how we can reap these wonderful benefits of the Stimulus Package, I don't think our government is going to let us in on this secret until much later...
                        HUGE AL

Comment

Lifting or substantially easing the economic embargo, as set forth in the Cuban Assets Control Regulations and administered by the Treasury Department, would require legislative action by Congress. The White House made no mention of any intention to seek such changes; Obama said as a presidential candidate that the embargo was a form of leverage to press for democratic reforms in Cuba.
                          As the process to lift the embargo hasn't even begun, it will be a while before most Americans are allowed to spend money in Cuba, or AA allowed to be on a ticket that includes Cuba.

Comment

Phaleesy - I do think you'd be better off buying MEX-HAV return separately rather than including Cuba on xONEx ticket which is rather wasteful.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                              Yes if you don't touch TIP it'd be a xONE3.

There's no way for you to visit Libya on an xONEx. The only way for you to enter/leave TIP is via Europe (LHR or AMM from memory).

And once you enter Africa you can't go back to Europe again unless your itinerary involves one of the following countries:

I wonder why TIP was left out when there are similar network limitations.

It seems the only way for you to visit TIP is to make your own way after TIP to something like JNB and fly out to HKG from there. You'd then incur a surface segment TIP//JNB which counts towards your 16 segment limit. It might just be easier for you to get an xONE3, and buying your own ticket to TIP and back tbh.
                              Looks like there are OW lurkers on here as well.

Too late for phaleesy but xONEx rules have just been modified (along with several price increases) to move Libya from Africa to Europe/Middle East:

EUROPE/MIDDLE EAST INCLUDING ‡
                              EKATERINBURG ALGERIA/MOROCCO/TUNISIA/EGYPT/SUDAN/
                              LIBYA.
                              Last edited by KeithMEL; 2 May 2009, 04:01 PM.
                              All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                                Looks like there are OW lurkers on here as well.

Too late for phaleesy but xONEx rules have just been modified (along with several price increases) to move Libya from Africa to Europe/Middle East:
                                Might or might not be due to the work of OW lurkers. Good work if they actually read and implemented changes so quickly, though I think it's unlikely. If the OW lurkers really did implement changes for the benefit of their customers, then good for them! Unlike lurkers of a certain airline we love...

TIP will be on my next OW RTW.

Comment

Working...
                                X