Barcelona Dining - Passadis del Pep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barcelona Dining - Passadis del Pep

I ate a very memorable meal in Barcelona recently.

This was at Passadis del Pep. It was recommended by a cousin of mine, and good thing she did too, because there was no way I was going to find this place on my own.

It is close to Las Ramblas, but is completely hidden from along the street. This is the entrance along the main street.

It is totally unmarked, but hey in the age of the Internet, who needs signs anyway. This is a real "No Signboard" restaurant...

Down the corridor, inside the restaurant, things appear more conventional...

But guess what, there's no menu. It's omakase Spanish style...they will serve you an apparently neverending selection of food sourced fresh from all over.

Food pics coming up. Do not read on an empty stomach!
    Last edited by yflyer; 5 March 2014, 09:08 AM.

The meal started in relatively understated fashion, with a few slices of sausage...

The two of us dining were also given a half bottle of Cava to get started...

Comment

Next up, Jamon Iberico, a delicious, if obligatory, dish at meals here...

Next a plate of steaming hot clams were served...

And sea snails still in the shell...

I am a fan of escargot, but these sea snails tasted even better than land snails...

How did that ever fit in that shell?

Comment

Next, a plate of batter-fried whitebait.

These were not as crispy or as salty as the version you get in some Chinese restaurants in Singapore, but were served still hot from the pan, tender, and full of flavour. A thumbs up.

A plate of boiled prawns with mayonnaise was served next. These were sweet and fresh.

A plate of mildly spicy peppers followed.

A Spanish colleague of mine said that for a certain type of pepper (maybe not this kind), 19 out of 20 were quite mild, but 1 in 20 was ultra-spicy. A little like Russian Roulette if you don't appreciate spicy food...but these were all mild.

Comment

Really delicious squid ink paella was up next.

Followed by langoustines, which looked like tiny crayfish, with bodies not much larger than prawns, with outsized claws.

Another prawn course was served, grilled prawns with salt...these were among the sweetest, most tender and delicate prawns I have ever eaten. These were prawns so delicious that my lunch buddy could not resist sucking the juices out of their heads.

Comment

Were were given one choice: fish or meat for our main course. We chose meat.

The waiter brought our mains to our table...

Hmmm...I had never encountered anything like this. Both my dining buddy and I thought this was a turkey leg or some large chicken/fowl.

Even after a few bites, we were unsure. This was a heavenly dish. Tender, delicate and subtly flavoured flesh, with a hint of the flavour of confit...

We asked the waiter and were amazed when he said this was lamb!

Incredible! One of the most amazing dishes I have eaten.

This went very well with a bottle of Rioja. They supplied a wine list at the start of the meal (one of the few choices you had in this restaurant) but as we didn't know a whole lot about Spanish wines, we simply asked them to recommend a reasonably priced bottle of red wine which would go with the food, which they did.
            Last edited by yflyer; 22 November 2015, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Dessert was Catalan creme...not an uncommon dish, but one which apparently is not easy to do well. This was very tasty.

We rounded off dinner with a grappa-like digestif. Again, this was not something we ordered: two glasses and two bottles were placed on the table for us to help ourselves...

Last edited by yflyer; 4 March 2014, 09:03 PM.

Comment

All in all, this meal went from 1.30pm to 4pm, but didn't feel like 2.5 hours. It went by in a flash.

One of the most memorable meals I have had. Highly recommended!

Comment

Looks good. I'll be sure to try it my next trip to BCN

Comment

Excellent. I ate at the sister restaurant, Cal Pep, in Jan. Very similar food. Loved it.

Comment

Wow! That's one great meal, yflyer! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
                        Wow! That's one great meal, yflyer! Thanks for sharing!
                        Agreed. Thanks, yflyer.
                        ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Outstanding! How was the English and pricing?
                          HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                            Looks good. I'll be sure to try it my next trip to BCN
                            You won't regret it! If I ever head back to BCN, I will definitely go there again too.

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
                              Excellent. I ate at the sister restaurant, Cal Pep, in Jan. Very similar food. Loved it.
                              I didn't know they had a sister restaurant -- thanks for the info!

Comment

Working...
                              X