Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SQ to add 12 NEW destinations this financial year?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spaniard View Post
    They could use MAD as a gateway to South America. There’s huge traffic to multiple South American destinations from Madrid. Another option would be East Coast destinations like MIA or MCO
    that does seem like a very logical move - sq can't just be playing catch-up to cx in the americas

although cx is not exactly in an enviable position given its current predicament at its homebase

Comment

BRU perhaps? Not a big market in its own right and perhaps too close to AMS, but SN does have a good network to Africa that SQ could tap on.

Comment

Originally posted by inkoherent View Post
        BRU perhaps? Not a big market in its own right and perhaps too close to AMS, but SN does have a good network to Africa that SQ could tap on.
        Star Alliance partner Thai seems to be doing well on BKK-BRU, they will add 6th weekly flight starting on October 28th. In my opinion, Africa's connection markets are small considering it's a huge detour compared to taking gulf carriers or Ethiopian. However, EU headquarters located in Brussels, so there must be some market for SQ here. 4-5 weekly A359 will do.

Comment

I think part of SQ’s success with Euro routes has been the LH joint venture, with the two of them managing to keep so much capacity going on SIN-MUC together on what previously had been a softer market for SQ. The FRA-JFK sector which looked a bit unhealthy a few years back seems to now be doing fine even filling all the extra Y capacity in the ver. 1 A380 mid-week when I was on it a week or so ago.

A lot of this seems to be SQ developing their German customer base and investing in having a lot more German-speaking crew than they had in the past, when sometimes they would get by with pre-recorded announcements. Whether that success can be replicated outside of the LH JV, I’m not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by maxc_20 View Post
            Star Alliance partner Thai seems to be doing well on BKK-BRU, they will add 6th weekly flight starting on October 28th.
            TG is neither flying to AMS nor DUS. I believe if SQ would add BRU they would need to shed either DUS or AMS.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
              A lot of this seems to be SQ developing their German customer base and investing in having a lot more German-speaking crew than they had in the past, when sometimes they would get by with pre-recorded announcements. Whether that success can be replicated outside of the LH JV, I’m not sure.
              Crew members which can speak the local language (be it Korean, Japanese, Hindi, you name it) and announcemnt in that language onboard (either from tape or in person) are the standard on all SQ flights. Nothing special being done on flights to/from Germany.
              If you would compare LH and SQ in terms of quality you would understand why Germany has a large SQ customer base.

Comment

SIA have not even aggressive in really adding destinations over the past decade and many are from Silkair to SQ or vv and any new additions maybe just an add on to existing ie Canberra. Think only new destinations is to SEA.

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                  SIA have not even aggressive in really adding destinations over the past decade and many are from Silkair to SQ or vv and any new additions maybe just an add on to existing ie Canberra. Think only new destinations is to SEA.
                  DUS
                  CBR
                  WLG
                  ARN
                  SEA

...to name a few. And a tag-on is still adding a new destination, even if it's not non-stop to Singapore. Those destinations most likely do not have sufficient traffic for a standalone non-stop, so a tag-on still allows SQ to serve the market rather than not at all. It also allows SQ to stimulate and grow the market and hopefully serve it non-stop some day. When SQ started Moscow, it was via Dubai before later switching to non-stop and connecting Houston, then Stockholm.

That being said, I think the days of aggressive expansion to new stations for SQ itself may be over. The market has changed no thanks to low-cost carriers and Middle Eastern super-connectors, so SQ has had to shift their growth strategy to Scoot, so at least the SIA group still grows and remains profitable overall. Don't forget that SQ has a profitability record to maintain which unfortunately translates to more conservative business decisions like incremental additions of new destinations.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ025 View Post
                    Crew members which can speak the local language (be it Korean, Japanese, Hindi, you name it) and announcemnt in that language onboard (either from tape or in person) are the standard on all SQ flights. Nothing special being done on flights to/from Germany.
                    If you would compare LH and SQ in terms of quality you would understand why Germany has a large SQ customer base.
                    Definitely agree with you on that. Being a frequent traveller to all of SQ’s German ports over the last decade, I have definitely noticed greater dedication to speaking German on the flights, however. They have a minimum of two per flight and they announce their names and invite German speakers to request their assistance. I know there’s always a base level of service but since they LH JV I’ve certainly witnessed them really step it up.

Comment

SQ starting Vancouver? Or maybe just advertisement for Seattle flight

They have a Facebook post yesterday asking whether going to Vancouver in Canada or Washington.

https://www.facebook.com/6352578678/...133679?sfns=mo

Comment

Originally posted by sbs2716g View Post
                        SQ starting Vancouver? Or maybe just advertisement for Seattle flight

They have a Facebook post yesterday asking whether going to Vancouver in Canada or Washington.

https://www.facebook.com/6352578678/...133679?sfns=mo
                        I saw that too and also wondered whether are they dropping about starting YVR, although the post shows one can get to both “Vancouver” in Canada or Washington state quite easily from Seattle, and at the same distance too, so it could well be advertising Seattle as you indicated.

Comment

Most probably just advertising SEA.

Looks like the euphoria has worn off, I'm tracking prices for an upcoming trip in late April and the SEA direct has become pretty attractive in terms of pricing. Searching for SIN-SFO on Google Flights also throws up the SEA flight with an Alaska codeshare SEA-SFO, likewise for SIN-LAX.

On a related note, pay $15 more and switch from SQ32 Y to SQ34 PE? Really?
                          an infrastructure geek

Comment

Singapore n South Korea have just concluded the Open Sky Agreement. Allowing more flights (including fifth freedom flights). So What are the option of fifth freedom flight for SQ? Vancouver? Toronto? Chicago?

Comment

I doubt SQ will be running any more 5th freedoms in the foreseeable future, so this is really going to benefit the budget airlines.

Scoot could perhaps do YVR or even LAS, but I'd argue they have a lot more to handle in Europe first...
                              an infrastructure geek

Comment

Originally posted by sbs2716g View Post
                                Singapore n South Korea have just concluded the Open Sky Agreement. Allowing more flights (including fifth freedom flights). So What are the option of fifth freedom flight for SQ? Vancouver? Toronto? Chicago?
                                Vancouver is unlikely to be operated via South Korea as it's within the range for the normal LR A350, besides SQ has just launched route to nearby Seattle. Chicago is rumored to be another A350ULR route which is more likely given that there are more free ULRs due to SFO and LAx frequency and equipment adjustments, but a route with normal A350 via ICN is possible although the chances are low.

I'm seeing Scoot to take advantage of this open sky policy by doing South Korea routes via a third country, SIN-DMK-ICN to complement their SIN-TPE-ICN and maybe launching Busan/Jeju via TPE.
                                Last edited by maxc_20; 24 November 2019, 01:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X