Start of another round of cost-cutting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by zilchster View Post
    I wonder what this means? Dine on Demand? Only Book the Cook for F and J? Possible purchase food items on Y a la AF...or buy alcoholic beverages on Y?
    I guess, that we will here "Sorry, but your selection is not available anymore", more often in the future. Even in C.

And I would guess that they also streamline the menu options (to generally only two meal options in Y), and cut the drink options.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ025 View Post
      I guess, that we will here "Sorry, but your selection is not available anymore", more often in the future. Even in C.

And I would guess that they also streamline the menu options (to generally only two meal options in Y), and cut the drink options.
      Unless you're QPP or TPP, there's going to be a higher chance of not being able to get the meal of your choice in J.

In Y, on short flights i.e. single meals, best to sit up front if you want a choice. For dual-meal flights, best to sit somewhere in the middle, as the second meal is served from the rear.

Comment

• Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
        Unless you're QPP or TPP, there's going to be a higher chance of not being able to get the meal of your choice in J.

In Y, on short flights i.e. single meals, best to sit up front if you want a choice. For dual-meal flights, best to sit somewhere in the middle, as the second meal is served from the rear.
        There were times that QPP and TPP did help in Y as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by ycp81 View Post
          Some possible flights may include SIN-MLE (MI crew are now doing turnarounds), CBR-WLG (rumoured to be rescheduled to enable a turnaround) and maybe even SIN-TPE (already SIN-BLR with longer flight times are turnarounds on SQ and MI). Once upon a time, SIN-PER were turnarounds as well.
          Fingers crossed there might be some schedule changes to HKG that SQ 868 and SQ857 can be made as turnaround service rather than staying in HKG overnight. Perhaps that can help to save some $ as well?

Also with regards to crew accommodation, I wonder whether it is necessary for SQ to accommodate crew in a 5* hotel? I know staff deserves a good sleep after hours of service, but would it be sensible if they are accommodated onto a 4* hotel which would be cheaper, or as an alternative to buy and build a service apartment near the airport so they can save on signing contracts with hotel groups costing SIA millions perhaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by Metropolitan Airlines View Post
            Fingers crossed there might be some schedule changes to HKG that SQ 868 and SQ857 can be made as turnaround service rather than staying in HKG overnight. Perhaps that can help to save some $ as well?

Also with regards to crew accommodation, I wonder whether it is necessary for SQ to accommodate crew in a 5* hotel? I know staff deserves a good sleep after hours of service, but would it be sensible if they are accommodated onto a 4* hotel which would be cheaper, or as an alternative to buy and build a service apartment near the airport so they can save on signing contracts with hotel groups costing SIA millions perhaps?
            This has been the trend for quite some time, downgrading the hotels and locations for some of the stations

Comment

• Originally posted by Metropolitan Airlines View Post
              With the bargaining power SQ has, they can get quite attractive rates in 5* Hotels. With that in mind it is not necessarily cheaper to stay in a 4* at certain locations.

Comment

• Have SQ stopped updating the IFE every month? I have noticed a few times the content is the same when I have travelled different months.

Comment

• Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
                  Have SQ stopped updating the IFE every month? I have noticed a few times the content is the same when I have travelled different months.
                  They seem to be getting earlier with when they update the content. Around the 24th of a month you can expect to start seeing the following "month". Perhaps they are also making less changes to the line up? That's probably another way to cut costs I suppose.

Is it new release movies that you've noticed not changing?

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                    They seem to be getting earlier with when they update the content. Around the 24th of a month you can expect to start seeing the following "month". Perhaps they are also making less changes to the line up? That's probably another way to cut costs I suppose.

Is it new release movies that you've noticed not changing?
                    I flew on 2 A350 flights 6 weeks apart and the content seemed identical. For both TV shows and films.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ_326 View Post
                      That's quite true for HK flights. Twice in J cabin, the crew greeted me with the wrong name. It has only 3 alphabets...

The most obvious route (at least for me) to experience the extreme service difference is SIN-SFO or SFO-SIN via HKG. To/from SFO via HKG usually top notch, to/from SIN via HKG is usually bleah. Difference is day and night and especially jarring when the transit is only 1 short hour but the service is so different.

Comment

• Originally posted by jonleong View Post
                        The most obvious route (at least for me) to experience the extreme service difference is SIN-SFO or SFO-SIN via HKG. To/from SFO via HKG usually top notch, to/from SIN via HKG is usually bleah. Difference is day and night and especially jarring when the transit is only 1 short hour but the service is so different.
                        Interesting, I just arrived in SFO on SQ2 last night (local time) and the SIN-HKG service and crew was so much better than the set of crew serving HKG-SFO. On the first leg the crew always addressed me by name, the IM made a point to stop by and introduce herself and the overall service was very proactive.

On the overnight segment from HKG, nothing of that sort and the service felt rather indifferent. One point to note is that the second leg (HKG-SFO) had an almost full J cabin. I'll be interest to see how service compares on the return flight.

Comment

• I have, by now, come to the conclusion that service standard of the cabin crew is not route dependant, but simply just down to the chemistry between the crew, and the leadership of the IFM.

One of my best flight to date has been on a the very short SGN-SIN, almost full 28/30 J cabin, where the IFM was even able to provide F service such as tasting the wine before pouring the full glass.

She and the LS were absolutely outstanding.

Comment

• Originally posted by pokfur View Post
                            I have, by now, come to the conclusion that service standard of the cabin crew is not route dependant, but simply just down to the chemistry between the crew, and the leadership of the IFM.

One of my best flight to date has been on a the very short SGN-SIN, almost full 28/30 J cabin, where the IFM was even able to provide F service such as tasting the wine before pouring the full glass.

She and the LS were absolutely outstanding.

As mentioned by Pokfur, it's really down to the crew. I had an awesome flight in Y on SQ231. The crew were really attentive even for Economy class (Which i appreciate alot). I had a great and pleasant chat with 3 of the cabin crew serving the upper deck economy class. Even though there has been some evident cost-cutting measures, the crew of SQ231 seem to have still upheld the famous Singapore Airlines hospitality.

Comment

• Menu's have gone from BKK flights now. Not sure how recent this is as I haven't flown a regional flight with them for a few months, or if it has been mentioned elsewhere, but all you get is a double sided leaflet with the food choice a la CGK flights. This of course means they have to explain the wine choices to everyone when they arrive with the trolley rather than pax being able to browse the options first.

Comment

• Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                                Menu's have gone from BKK flights now. Not sure how recent this is as I haven't flown a regional flight with them for a few months, or if it has been mentioned elsewhere, but all you get is a double sided leaflet with the food choice a la CGK flights. This of course means they have to explain the wine choices to everyone when they arrive with the trolley rather than pax being able to browse the options first.
                                Not only BKK. It is gone from JCL at least on SUB, DPS, RGN and maybe SGN too.
                                My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

Working...
                                X