No announcement yet.

New SIN-CBR-WLG Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I suspect that the usage of a regional 772 is down to fleet availability. As for range, even a derated 777-200ER can fly to CBR without much of a problem. A derated 777 has about the same kind of range capabilities that an A330 has, and A330s go between SIN and SYD/MEL without much of a problem.

Comment

I believe the 38C vs the 30C on the 772 vs A330 is the reason why SQ chose that plane. Premium traffic

Comment

It will be a test of the pilots' skills to land the B772 on Wellington's 2000m runway, not helped by often windy and gusty conditions.
        My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

Title altered to more accurately reflect the more factual nature of the thread now.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
            I believe the 38C vs the 30C on the 772 vs A330 is the reason why SQ chose that plane. Premium traffic
            Agreed. It also looks to me like an ideal candidate for the A350 in the future, so the current proposed 772 may just be temporary until enough A350s are available. The only downside is that they are launching the new flights with a fairly old product.

Comment

The big surprise I guess is the 772 but more J and less Y makes sense. The schedule is clearly set up to connect predominantly with Asia. Other than LHR, Euro connections would involve painfully long transit times.

I had wondered if they could get the flight into SIN by 2200 but looking at the schedule I see now that would be far too tight and involve an unpleasantly timed CBR-WLG leg, which would make filling the 772 harder, and at best arrive into SIN at 0020. Throw in three landings at airports prone to fog, one such landing being quite a challenge in a 777, any possible connections out of SIN to ZRH, LHR, MXP would be unreliable and defeat the purpose. SQ207/8 and SQ 241/2 only just manage to pull it off with only one landing.

It really will be interesting to see how this goes. QF and NZ can't complain. They've had decades to connect the two capitals. VA would have to be happy with the idea- they can fill some more seats on their CBR flights during the low seasons, especially around Christmas/NYE once all the ex-SYD and ex-MEL flights fill and there are plenty of favourable comments from business travellers about using SQ292 as a red-eye out of SYD with a VA connection.

Comment

It's nice to see SQ opening up new routes, some more such a unique one. I'm also surprised to see it being operated by 772s. I thought the 772s would be gone by the end of this year with the introduction of the A350s?

Comment

Originally posted by jaywell View Post
                  It's nice to see SQ opening up new routes, some more such a unique one. I'm also surprised to see it being operated by 772s. I thought the 772s would be gone by the end of this year with the introduction of the A350s?
                  It does bode well for the future.

Nope, the 777s are not going anywhere just yet. The Current plan announced in the annual report is that from now until April 2 more A330s, 1 777-200ER non refitted and 1 777-300 will be returned. For the next financial year another 4 A330s will go, 1 more 777-200ER non refitted and 1 more 777-300.

It looks like the arrival for the A350s will replace some of the 777-200ER refitted routs such as AMS. In turn those aircraft will replace some of the A330 flights so that they get an upgrade to the full lie flat seats such as Brisbane.

It is possible that some additional 777-200s might leave but as SQ own the vast majority of the remaining aircraft they will need to find buyers or part them out (not sure that is likely since they are mostly still under 14 years old).

For 2017, SQ have said the A350s will be in medium haul config and will replace the A330s.

Comment

Originally posted by jaywell View Post
                    Not likely... They still have 23 of them in service- 11 derated and 12 ER. Even SRJ and SRL are in service daily.

Even when the A350s begin to flow in, some of them need to replace A330s with expiring leases. SQ also seems to be set on expanding with additonal flights to some existing destinations and flights to completely new ones- DUS, CBR, WLG. While there's talk of Delta buying up some of the old 772s, it's unclear how many of the supposed number could be sourced from 'stored' planes or those which went to TZ or XW. Most of the old 772s are owned by SQ and won't fetch much if sold so I won't be surprised if there's still a few of them getting about 2 or 3 years from now.

Comment

Originally posted by vasqflyer View Post
                      Nope, the 777s are not going anywhere just yet. The Current plan announced in the annual report is that from now until April 2 more A330s, 1 777-200ER non refitted and 1 777-300 will be returned. For the next financial year another 4 A330s will go, 1 more 777-200ER non refitted and 1 more 777-300.
                      It's good when simultaneous posts agree.

I think the 773 may already have gone. SYK hasn't been in service for something like 2 months now and we know this is one of the leased 773s. The other leased 773's identity is still a mystery. SVH and SVO are still very active but one of them needs to be gone by April. Eventually SVF will end up as being one of a kind.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                        It's good when simultaneous posts agree.
                        I could not agree more SQ228

Agreed on the 773 especially as it was leased and is unlikely to have found a new home. I doubt there would be very much demand for it given the number of 777s looking for new homes at the moment. Even if it has not gone yet, it is only a matter of time before it does.

In terms of the A330s, I think 9v-STI looks to be one of the two to go before April. It is has been out of action for a while too.

My guess (and it is only a guess) is that a few 772s might leave over the next 2-3 years if SQ gets a reasonable price for them / might go to Vistara if it is allowed to go international. In addition, I think SRL is still a possibility to go to NokScoot. It could be transferred just before it turns 14 in August, go through maintenance and refit and be ready around the time the red flag in Thailand is expected to be removed. I think it will soon get to the point were the existing NokScoot 777s are being used to the extent that they would not have the capacity to run all the Japaneses and Korean routes planned as part of the business model.

As SQ owns the majority of the 772s and with oil prices so low, it is likely that they will still be used a fair bit.

SVF is definitely going to be interesting as both SVH and SVH will be gone by the end of the year (or even earlier). A single frame may not fit all that well with planning.

As a side note, i had some spare time today so went to the press conference at Canberra Airport. Lots of support for the announcement. A fair few people stopped to listen and there seems to be a lot of enthusiasm for it. I guess time will tell!

Comment

Originally posted by vasqflyer View Post
                          SVF is definitely going to be interesting as both SVH and SVH will be gone by the end of the year (or even earlier). A single frame may not fit all that well with planning.

As a side note, i had some spare time today so went to the press conference at Canberra Airport. Lots of support for the announcement. A fair few people stopped to listen and there seems to be a lot of enthusiasm for it. I guess time will tell!
                          It sounds a bit crazy at first but then you start to think of the positives. Looking at the longer breaks of Australian parliament, they are fairly much aligned with major travel seasons. When flights out of MEL are completely booked out around Xmas they can get VA to shuttle people up to CBR which will also make VA happy you would think. They might find it hard to break even with a 772 but in the future if it goes A350 with the long-haul product it would mean more and better J seats as well as PEY and then less Y seats to fill and a plane that burns less fuel.

This is also getting SQ a lot of publicity with the Australian public around about the time that a lot of people I know are falling out of love with the ME3. I think a lot of loyal QF customers are starting to miss transiting through SIN and don't want to be shunted onto EK flights any more.

Comment

Agreed. There also seems to be a timing advantage to kangaroo routes via SIN.

I flew QF LHR-SYD via DXB which took 24hrs. SQ LHR-CHC took 23h 15m.

Comment

Originally posted by Metropolitan Airlines View Post
                              I am concerned this will hurt the profitability of the route since B772s are not fuel efficient.

Moreover, aren't regional B772s are fitted with derated engines?

How come they have such a range to fly to Canberra from Singapore?
                              They have plenty of range. Besides 2 of the regional 772 have the engines rated to 777-200ER.

Comment

Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
                                They have plenty of range. Besides 2 of the regional 772 have the engines rated to 777-200ER.
                                Not anymore I'm afraid. They were SQI and SRN and SQ offloaded both of them last year to Pembroke who were planning to lease them to Transaero until it collapsed and so now they're parked at VCV. IIRC they were the first two 772s to leave the fleet that didn't have a purple cabin so there must have been a reason SQ wanted them gone.

Comment

Working...
                                X